How long should it take to charge my Battery?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How long should it take to charge my Battery?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default How long should it take to charge my Battery?

I've just got 2 brand new ICRr 2200Mah 3.7v batteries. On charged up fine. The other has been on the charger most of the day. I took it off to check it in my mod and it only reading 3.7v. I have a single bay Chinese charger that has an output of 4.2v DC 420mA. When I took the battery out to check it, the light in my charger turned green, when I put it back in the charger it turns red. It's in the charger now and the light is still red. Is something wrong with the battery? Thanks.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

What APV are you using these batteries with? If you are using a vv or vv/vw APV, IMR batteries are recommended, or the Panasonic hybrids (which are called IMRs too). Not ICR. ECF guide on rechargeable batteries here:
    Rechargeable Batteries

As for the charger - batteries are usually charged to 4.2 volts by chargers or close to it. You can take it off the charger before that, but the charger will keep charging the battery to 4.2 volts (or close, like 4.18 volts). That's normal.
    There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your batteries or charger. The charger light will turn green when the battery is taken out, and will turn red if the battery is below 4.2 volts. You could buy an Xstar or Pila charger if you want better quality tho. These have setting that allow faster charging also. Some chargers, such as Trustfire TR-001 can take 8 hours or so to charge an 18650. An Xstar Wp II can do it in 3-4 hours in my experience.

Do you have a multi-meter? That way you can periodically check the voltage of your batts both before and after charging. Since you don't specify the voltage of both batteries before you started charging, its not possible to say if both batteries were at the same voltage to start with.
    Last edited by kiwivap; 06-07-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    Natey likes this.
    About Variable Wattage & Variable Voltage

Gear: LP Reo Grand, Innokin SVD, Vamo, Zmax, VMod XL, CCST, Bolt

account closed

Oh the 420mA from the charger is a bit low, your looking at a day 14-18 hours? mine take 12 at the most. But that battery should be up a lot more than that, could've gotten drain way low from sitting around on the stock selves. just leave it on there and see what happens. as long as the battery itself doesn't get hot i think you'll be ok..
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

ECF Veteran

I'm using a Tesla vv/vw mod. The other battery charged fine. The batteries came in the kit along with the single bay charger. Thanks for the help.

ECF Veteran

Thanks Natey! I was going to ask on the group forum but I didn't know if anyone was around.

Vape 4 Life Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

My 18650's take about 4 hours to fully charge on a intellicore charger. My 18350's take about 2.5.

Vapeing for Freedom

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy5691 View Post
    I'm using a Tesla vv/vw mod. The other battery charged fine. The batteries came in the kit along with the single bay charger. Thanks for the help.
    Often the batteries and chargers that come with kits are not good quality, unfortunately. I recommend getting IMR batteries. They have safer chemistry and can handle high drain. They really are the only ones you should be using - AW IMR, Efest IMR or Panasonic CGR18650CH are all good batteries.
    Personally, I'd be replacing the charger too.
    xbassman likes this.
    About Variable Wattage & Variable Voltage

Gear: LP Reo Grand, Innokin SVD, Vamo, Zmax, VMod XL, CCST, Bolt

ECF Veteran

Thanks again for your help guys. I'm just concerned that the battery's been on there so long and when I checked it in my Tesla it read 3.7v. It's been on the charger for at least 6 hours. Should I take it off? Should I put it in my APV and run it down to 3.2v and try recharging again? I can't afford any other batteries right now so I've got to use these for a while.

account closed

Its ok, i think you will be fine, but i would consider a better charger, in the future.
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

ECF Veteran

Thanks again Natey. I appreciate the response. Same goes for everyone else.
    Natey likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast