Non mechanical mods that can sub ohm? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Non mechanical mods that can sub ohm?

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Rayas View Post
    I mostly want a mod for back up that can atleast fire 1 ohm due to have ima use 28 kanthal and make micro coils
    I don't recall what it is you're coiling, but they (28ga micros) don't have to be sub-ohm.

Super Member ECF Veteran MikeJA's Avatar

I wish people would stop chasing these sub ohm builds. Sure, you get a load of vapor, but to what end? What's the point of it? Pushing batteries to the limit in order to create a huge vapor cloud that you can show off on youtube?

I usually run 30g wire on a mech, typically 1.2 - 1.4 ohms and it billows out more vapor than a cigarette ever blew out smoke. And most importantly, it keeps things safe and keeps me from going back to cigarettes. Totally satisfying.

EDIT: And I mean no offense to the OP. Just frustrated to see so much sub ohm talk on here that will eventually lead to someone getting hurt, and get the media focused even more on demonizing us.
    Last edited by MikeJA; 10-31-2013 at 03:34 AM.

I can make a 1.3 ohm coil with ribbon that will fire on most regulated mods but suck and the same with 32awg round that blows clouds. The reality is the electrical part is easy the physics part is the hard bit. Ultra thick/big stuff needs tons of current to work instantly so there is a reason to go sub ohm. Ribbon works amazing in sub ohm. As far as regulated, i would build that myself because even with higher wattage there is a bottoming out when the draw starts getting excessive.
    AttyPops likes this.

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJA View Post
    Sure, you get a load of vapor, but to what end? What's the point of it? Pushing batteries to the limit in order to create a huge vapor cloud that you can show off on youtube?
    .... Just frustrated to see so much sub ohm talk on here that will eventually lead to someone getting hurt, and get the media focused even more on demonizing us.
    Seems like another good place for this: PSA: Cloud Chasing is Dangerous.

I'm not saying no one should ever do such things, but they need to know what they're doing first. And maybe the New Member Forum isn't the best place for these discussions. I know not everyone in New Members is a new vaper-- some have a lot more experience than I-- but it seems that most really are new.
    BardicDruid and MikeJA like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran MikeJA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madqatter View Post
    Seems like another good place for this: PSA: Cloud Chasing is Dangerous.

I'm not saying no one should ever do such things, but they need to know what they're doing first. And maybe the New Member Forum isn't the best place for these discussions. I know not everyone in New Members is a new vaper-- some have a lot more experience than I-- but it seems that most really are new.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Hi Alejandro, If you must have a high wattage VV that can drive a load below 1Ω you are looking to likely build one for yourself with the capability to do that..... Do a search for okr-t10 and see if this type of build is something you think you could accomplish.....First VV Mod Finally Finished: OKR 10 Amp 50 Watt Powered

I have a built a few versions of this mod and I can say that even a genie with a .75Ω coil fires without issue on the t10 chip...

If you believe you can do some relatively simple research, and some fairly small soldering, I say give it a go.... If not then maybe a backup dna20 mod is in your future.... Good Luck. If you have any questions I can point you in the correct direction to find the info you will need. Happy Vaping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJA View Post
    I wish people would stop chasing these sub ohm builds. Sure, you get a load of vapor, but to what end? What's the point of it? Pushing batteries to the limit in order to create a huge vapor cloud that you can show off on youtube?

I usually run 30g wire on a mech, typically 1.2 - 1.4 ohms and it billows out more vapor than a cigarette ever blew out smoke. And most importantly, it keeps things safe and keeps me from going back to cigarettes. Totally satisfying.

EDIT: And I mean no offense to the OP. Just frustrated to see so much sub ohm talk on here that will eventually lead to someone getting hurt, and get the media focused even more on demonizing us.
    With a battery rated for 30amp continuous output I don't come near testing its limits with a .6ohm coil.

And I come from hookah smoking not cigs. Big clouds and great flavor are what I'm after. Tinkering with different build styles is fun.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Senior Member ECF Veteran AlanWoltemath's Avatar

the itaste 134 will run .8ohm coils. it heats them pretty well

Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pianman6954 View Post
    I can make a 1.3 ohm coil with ribbon that will fire on most regulated mods but suck and the same with 32awg round that blows clouds. The reality is the electrical part is easy the physics part is the hard bit. Ultra thick/big stuff needs tons of current to work instantly so there is a reason to go sub ohm. Ribbon works amazing in sub ohm. As far as regulated, i would build that myself because even with higher wattage there is a bottoming out when the draw starts getting excessive.
    You're right! However with the slightly higher-ohm coils and higher watt regulated mods you can get close because of the other physics part...VOLTAGE. Voltage is "Oomph". Of course, you still need a good high-drain battery. But the voltage difference (say 5 volts or even 6 volts) heats that wire up too. It's about watts...volts X amps. The problem is that most regulated mods are limited to 15 or 20 watts. So if your coil specs with a mech are in that range, you can approach the same thing with a regulated APV.

That's not to say it's identical in all cases...but rather that it can work acceptably with some configurations.
    Tobacco free since 6/30/10 4:30 pm! VV box mod user and amateur multimeter reader.
    ♪♫♪♫♩ They call me AttyPops, AttyPops, Oh Atty Atty Atty... AttyPops! <Ba, Da, Bum, Bum> ♪♫♪♫♩

Well yes ohms law, I was more or less referring to the actual regulator portion of the circuit. You can set a VV/VW but pretty much all regulators also regulate current. A VW mod does the math for you but all of them will have limits. There are of coarse other things to consider as well not all batteries can handle 3,4, or 5C discharge rates the ESR is too high to produce reliable voltage so you get plenty of warning because the mod will perform terribly before thermal runaway becomes a problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast