Russian 91% Resistance question

Thread: Russian 91% Resistance question

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default Russian 91% Resistance question

I got my first Russian several days ago (new) and set it up with a 1.7ohm coil and cotton wick. It worked perfectly the next day however my resistance kept creeping up until it was 4.1ohms. I was driving so I put it down for a bit and it came down vaped it again and it crept up to 3.8. Put it down it went down again finally it stayed up around 3.4ohms. So I figured it was my coil 30g kanthal 5 wraps. I took it apart there was nothing visible except 1 side of the cotton was darker (more liquid not burned). Nothing was touching and I assume it was not shorting as I have it on a lavatube so it has a shut off.
    I rebuilt the coil replaced cleaned everything and now after several hours it is happening again.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks for the help in advance.

ECF Veteran

Mine both are on mechs, but I haven't noticed anything changing in vapor production or throat hit.

Also there's a whole thread about the Russian 91% in the rebuildable atomizer section.

check the insulator under positive post
    you have ashort there

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I will check insulator when I get home. I dont really notice a difference in the vapor production or throat hit.

Super Member Verified Member curisu's Avatar

The 91% has an adjustable positive pin. Remove it, snug down the positive post with a flat head to remove slack. You may have to hold the riser inside the chimney with your fingers or pliers.

Then insert the adjustable screw in until just proud of the 510. That should sort you out.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

curisu probably nailed it right there... new, out of the box, the air tube and 510 contact screws always seem to be too tight, too lose or a irritating combination of both. Always a good idea to completely disassemble to verify everything is done right.

Another thing to look at... and this applies to a lot of RDAs and RBAs... is when you snug down the coil screws, after a few heating cycles, the screws get "loose"... I'd imagine it's the wire compressing.
    Being someone who's overly cautious when tightening down coil screws, I've had a few occasions where the resistance starts to climb, and re-tightening the screws returns the coil to the original resistance.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Mine came with the parts disassembled and I thought I had it tight but that was it tightened positive post and took care of problem. Thank you very much!!