Former Jarhead to Current Jarheads... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Former Jarhead to Current Jarheads...

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Hey fellas,

Army here. In Garrison outdoors they are treated as analogs. We are not allowed to smoke and walk or smoke outside of designated smoking areas. Indoors it depends on the local Chain of Command. If you are in your office, it depends on the people around you. Right now I am on an Operational Deployment to a radar site in Turkey. We've only got 6 people in our tent and 3 are vapors. Our XO is in the tent as well, and he doesn't vape, but is ok with it.

As far as smoking analogs in the barracks, stateside this is a no go. But in Germany, every barracks that I have been in there are people smoking analogs.

But yeah, generally speaking, outdoors, it is the same as analogs, because visually there is no difference. Appearance is everything, no?

Semper Fi Marines, Im a retired GySgt of 21 years. Ive been out for almost six years now working as a site manager in wind. I served from 87 to 08 and I remember smoking anywhere you wanted until the ban came down around the Gulf War era. I remember being on ship and it would get so bad in the berthing space we had to pop the hatch to get some clean air (crazy). But Ive been a smoker for 26 years and since moved to vaping. I started on a cig a like (NJoy) and they didnt work so i moved to a Halo Triton and it provides me with everything I crave. Im happy this product is out because all the other things like nic gum, candy etc.. didnt work. When I retired in 08 you couldnt smoke within 100 feet of any entrance, so I can only imagine what it is like now. When I was in Okinawa I smoked in my room but with my head hanging out the window as the SgtMaj would walk the SNCO barracks and would have our ... if he knew we were smoking in the rooms. But anyway good to hear from you all and happy to be off smokes. Semper Fi my brothers.

Served in Uncle Chesty's fun house from 85-89 (1833 - Tracks) We smoked in the barracks, the company office, on our track while driving them. The only time I remember not being allowed to smoke was when we were doing night ops in the field. If you ever saw someone drag off a cigarette 4 miles away while looking through night vision you know what I mean, looks like a pop-up going off.

Spent 2-1/.2 years in the Stumps. I actually liked it there because it wasn't as uptight as Pendleton. I had a 68 Jeepster Commando and my bro's and me used to tool around the old mining trails in the Monument. We had a cooler full of booze, a couple rifles (you never knew what or who you would run into in that desert), tunes and smokes. It was cheap entertainment.

Presently I'm a member of the Leathernecks MC and the stories I hear how things are now from the younger Marines that just got out just make me shake my head. All those things we used to do then you can't now.

It's to bad they took a stance against vaping yet pass out Chantix to people that for the most part are under stress constantly. From what I hear that's not a good combo.

Semper Fi

I'm a pog boot reservist but I'll still give my 2 cents!
    In my motor t shop they're okay with vaping. Heck, last drill 2 sergeants tried someones out inside the shop and they thought it was fine. In Fort Leonardwood, we vaped our gas station starter kits in the barracks all the time and no one said anything about it. I think it's just up to the coc and what they think about it.

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Semper Fi!

Active 90 - 98, 2600 series MOS Signals Intelligence
    90 - Parris Island Recruit Training... you know, the real one!
    91 - Ft Devens for Training
    91-95 Gitmo Cuba
    95-97 NCTAMS Guam
    97-98 Good 'Ol LeJuene for my last year of active duty

Ultra Member Verified Member mac63's Avatar

'81 - '01
    Still with the Corps on the civ side.
    Around Oki they've cracked down and reduced the number of smokin pits - gotta be so far from the building and most don't provide any shelter - sucks for the guys on base during the typhoons.
    Haven't heard about any crack downs on vaping yet - the PX has been selling the disposable Blu's. Have to order anything else and wait for it to get here.

Full Member Verified Member Darkhorse0317's Avatar

Default Former Jarhead to Current Jarheads...

00 MCRD SD, 01 SOI ITB Pendleton, 01-04 Lejeune 3/6 ,04-06 Pendleton 3/5 , 07-09 Pendleton 1MSOB

Semper Gumby Brothers
    Last edited by Darkhorse0317; 08-05-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: elaborated service locations

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I was in the corps from 76-79. 0311
    We had smokes in our C Rats. A card board Box full of cans and a 5 pack of cigs.
    Parris island
    Pendleton
    Marine barracks Hi
    Lejeune 3/6

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123