Question About Travel

Thread: Question About Travel

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Question About Travel

Hey guys, I'm not military but my husband is. And it's for him that I'm here to ask this question. He has a TDY across the border, and has to fly there. He's just started vaping, and I'm really trying to nudge him into switching completely. But here's where we hit a snag. I was told as long as the juice is labeled, and kept in a ziploc bag, the tank is empty, and the battery turned off and in his carry on TSA won't give him a hassle. BUT he has to pass through customs too. What do we need to know, can he take his setup with him?

We have an ego style mod he can travel with rather than his new MVP just in case. I just want to make sure this goes as smooth as possible for him. And they didn't cover vaping in the briefings...lol

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Wish I had an answer for you. Just wanted to say thanks to your husband for his service and what a great wife you are for supporting him. The toughest job in the military is that of the military wife.
    US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
    http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

MKUltra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hmmm... well, I've gone through customs in over a dozen countries with vape gear. It's usually a complete non-event - security is the larger concern (although I've never had an issue there using much the same protocol you've described).

Customs in Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa have never raised a question... although they've never gone through my bags, either. In some of those places, Brazil for example, vaping is frowned upon, so there might have been an issue. It just plain didn't come up.

Perhaps take gear that he could live without if it got confiscated in the worst case?
    Reo Woodvil, Woodvil 18490, VV Grand, LP Grand, SL Grand, Mini 2.1, RM 2/3/4, IGO-S, Chalice III, Nuppin', Odin, Cyclone

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
    Wish I had an answer for you. Just wanted to say thanks to your husband for his service and what a great wife you are for supporting him. The toughest job in the military is that of the military wife.
    And thank you for yours Saw your signature, Alaska was our first duty station in 2003-2007! It was amazing.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Lazarou View Post
    Hmmm... well, I've gone through customs in over a dozen countries with vape gear. It's usually a complete non-event - security is the larger concern (although I've never had an issue there using much the same protocol you've described).

Customs in Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa have never raised a question... although they've never gone through my bags, either. In some of those places, Brazil for example, vaping is frowned upon, so there might have been an issue. It just plain didn't come up.

Perhaps take gear that he could live without if it got confiscated in the worst case?
    He's taking a tank and ego style mod that are pretty much expendable. It's Mexico, not sure how they are about it in customs getting there. I'd assume coming back wouldn't be an issue.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Mexico customs? If they give him the "you know we could fine you for trying to bring this into the country" that translates "we'll let you keep your vape gear if you just pay us that fine right now." Heard one unconfirmed report that someone had their gear confiscated, but I don't think they understood Mexico "customs". Don't bring anything you don't mind losing.

Full Member Verified Member
    Blog Entries

To avoid any hassles:

Keep bottles with original labels.
    You can keep the Ego and tank loaded.
    You can carry it with you.
    Honesty is best. Just declare it to TSA that you have an electronic cigarette and accessories. They might want to sample the larger quantities of juice in their machine. Just be patient and polite about it.

I have traveled on several different airlines and am in a middle eastern country with some of the MOST stringent customs laws. I had no issues walking through the door with my stuff.

I'm sure that the time has passed of his travel, but for future reference...The TSA Blog: E-Cigarettes – Go, or No-Go?

I work Air Trans in the AF (basically equivalent to working at the civilian airport) and our go-to references are Transportation Security Administration and foreign clearance guide. The FCG is better accessed from a gov computer with CAC reader.