A LOT of vendors blocked on govt computers - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A LOT of vendors blocked on govt computers

Full Member Verified Member Jhutt's Avatar

Well I am in the strategic comm area so alot of my "work" is on the computer anyway. So you can call it multi-tasking haha, we're all guilty of it.

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssgswjohnson View Post
    There are a LOT of changes coming down the line guys. I work at DISA (im not writing policy, so don't blame me! lol) and trust me, while things get caught in the crossfire, they are doing these things for the right reasons. I cant go into the weeds on it, obviously, but if you all could see the intel reports on cyber warfare (I know, I know. sounds lame-sauce) you would definitely be a bit more understanding. As time goes on, a better picture of what needs to be blocked and what doesn't will form up and things SHOULD get better. I know it doesn't help now though, and it sucks especially hard for those of you overseas...
    Especially overseas sitting at the TOC........ It would be better if they hadn't blocked Youtube. Have you ever heard of this? I know that it is a local policy of some sort, because in my home station in Germany it's not blocked.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Do you have a couple of sites that are blocked? Curious to send them around and see if other branches of the military and government have the same problem. It is crazy that they block sites that help save lives of people that fight for our freedom.

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Age verification block maybe? "Are you 18 years or older?" Could be flagged as Adult Content ? Lol

Happy Vaper Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I work for a large well known bank and they block vape sites, however the message we receive is because it's tagged as a tobacco site.

some of them may be local policy just to keep people on task. If I remember correctly, sometimes DOD has to block things based on host country laws as well... although I really dont know if that is relevent to the Vape sites being blocked. My guess is its how its tagged or local policy. I havent found many blocked vape sites here stateside, so its probably more local than NIPR wide.

As far as Youtube, that is definately local policy.
    Kevin33 likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdeezy92 View Post
    Age verification block maybe? "Are you 18 years or older?" Could be flagged as Adult Content ? Lol
    I think this may be a part of it...... I don't so any personal tasks on my GOV computer, not because I'm a regs freak. It's because everything you do is saved and can be pulled by the commo techs at any time. I have assisted in investigations relating to computers and you would be amazed what they can uncover. I Like to keep my personal stuff personal.
    Kevin33 likes this.

Administrator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
    Being friends with some comm guys... they said that sometimes servers are banning unknown websites. So if there isnt significant traffic from NIPR users that meet the requirements (safe to use) then they outright block all unknown websites. You can submit requests to unlock these sites through your comm focal point. Call and yell at them for being dumb.
    As a retired comm troop, calling to ask for a non-official site to be unblocked will do nothing more than draw unwanted attention with a visit to the unit's commander asking why their personnel are attempting to surf to non-work related sites on government assets. Loved those calls when we got them. We even had one clueless wight call and ask why Playboy's site was blocked. Seriously?!! The resulting visit to the unit's Commander was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
    Do you have a couple of sites that are blocked? Curious to send them around and see if other branches of the military and government have the same problem. It is crazy that they block sites that help save lives of people that fight for our freedom.
    Government computers are to be used for official business, not shopping and surfing.

I am not having that issue here. Actually none of the vape sites I have gone too have been blocked on my gov PC. A number of them took ages to load though.

Full Member Verified Member

Tons if sites are allowed on gov computer. Just google vape shops and bam!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast