Atomizer wick material

Thread: Atomizer wick material

Default Atomizer wick material

Can anybody tell me what the wick material inside the atomizer is made out of? I'm assuming it is either cotton or fiberglass.

Thanks.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Papa Lazarou's Avatar

The ones I have removed from atomizers have been a non burning material (will not burn, melt or discolour even when heated to the point that they are glowing in a blue flame) which suggests to me glass fibre or silica fibre is the more likely option. They are certainly not cotton which burns easily. I have read some claims that they can be made of aramid fibres (an example of this type of material is Nomex, often used in flameproof clothing) although these materials do eventually break down with exposure to extreme heat.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlarsen View Post
    Can anybody tell me what the wick material inside the atomizer is made out of? I'm assuming it is either cotton or fiberglass.

Thanks.
    There was much discussion of wicking on a cartomizer thread - they're adding wicking using silica rope and the properties seem to be the same as what is already in the cartos - basically can't burn it at temperatures produced by ecigs:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ml#post2379257

Note: it is the material on the right in picture.

The filler in the cartridge, PTB (pyramid tea bags that some use for filler) and blue foam (also a substitute) are all PET.

What is PET?