0.48ohm + AW IC 18500
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryedan

Thread: 0.48ohm + AW IC 18500

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default 0.48ohm + AW IC 18500

Hi guys,

I've just finished a dual coil build. My first actually.
    I did 2 coils of 28 gauge, coming in at 0.48ohm total. I was aiming for 0.7 but I overdid it a little...

I'm using an AW IC 18500, those with a black wrap and red words.

So bottom line is; is my set up safe to use? If not, what is the safe resistance for the battery? I understand that not many people uses this battery, but I use the 18500 exclusively as my flashlight uses the same batteries.

Please do advice. I'd also love to hear how you vets build dual coils that are effective and accurate all the time. I'm having some difficulties maintaining the same resistance on both coils, while keeping them tight and round.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Your 0.48 ohm atomizer is going to draw 8.3 amps at 4 volts (freshly charged battery minus a bit of voltage drop). The AW IC 18500 has as best I can tell a maximum safe amp draw of 3A. It won't work. There is a ohm's law online calculator here. Plug in 4 volts and the resistance you are interested in, hit calculate and it will tell you the amps and watts. I never draw more than about 70% of what my battery can produce safely.

For the resistances you are looking at you should be using IMR or high drain hybrid batteries. Here's a chart of batteries for sub ohm use cross referenced for max amps and lowest safe resistance. Stay in the yellow selections for the lowest resistance you want to go. IMO the Sony 18650VTC4 are really good.

I also suggest you do some reading in this thread: **Sub-Ohm Vaping** Discussion, Safety, Battery Info, & Warnings . You need to know more about this technology for your own safety and there is a lot of good information there.

Vape safe