Scientific evidence supports creation by God! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Scientific evidence supports creation by God!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Why do creationists find it so hard to accept that our wonderfully complex universe just happens to be what it is without a designer? They, instead, expect us to accept an even more fantastic assertion that a designer which is more complex than our universe has always existed without a creator.
    I think I will go with the simpler explanation that can be tested and be more thoroughly understood with observation and experimentation.
    Spazmelda likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Yeah, I brought that ?fact? about amino acids/protiens up to my microbiology professor in college years ago. How come only stupid people have closed minds?

ECF Veteran

It isn't only stupid people that have closed minds. We all acquire some sort of quirky belief that is emotionally based. It is just part of our wiring as humans. You might enjoy "The Believing Brain".

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Oh hello! I just found this board. I'm very pleased to see an atheist board here.

I was skimming through this topic and I was getting ready to post the same thing Needo did a few posts above.

How does the invocation of an extremely complex 'god' who was not created but was simply 'always there' make the explanation of life and complexity any simpler? It doesn't. That's why this argument always boggles me. "Amino acids are too complex to have ever just happen, so therefore my even more complex deity (who conveniently did not need to be created because he was already there) must have made them". Pure cognitive dissonance.
    CountCaffeine likes this.

If you are in the Cincinnati area, check out Tri-State Vapers on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/558079797581550/

ECF Veteran

"Irreducible Complexity"

When I here those two words uttered together, I feel a deep sense of pity for the speaker. I have a difficult time continuing the discussion. I just don't want to hurt the other person's feelings when they are at least making an attempt at understanding evolution and biogenesis. Some of these individuals do eventually break the rust loose.
    Anybody else have similar experiences?

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

You betcha. My racquetball buddy asked if I'd be interesting in taking my kids to the Creationist Museum with her (we live close, unfortunately). My immediate reaction was, "OMFSM! No way in hell!" Then I had to back track and try not to sound so mean, because she's really a nice person.

I also had an interesting discussion about the Celestial Teapot with my Jehovah's Witness lady that frequently comes by to try to save me. She used to bring another lady, but I think the other lady asked me too many questions for the first lady's taste, so she doesn't tag along anymore.

ECF Veteran

I bet that was ackward having to refuse the ""museum"" trip.
    We use to have a Jehova's Witness that would visit my wife from time to time. She stopped coming arround when my wife had to refuse an expensive childrens book as a gift and explained to the lady that we were atheist.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Scorched View Post
    "The earth cannot be 350million or more years old. God purposely skewed the results of each and every carbon dating test in order to test the faith of man. That is all the evidence you need."
    When someone starts making these odd claims about the nature of God you start getting a weirder and weirder God.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran bobsyeruncle's Avatar

Aw, you passed up a chance to go to the Creationist Museum?! Two words: dinosaur rides.

Regarding the skewing of carbon dating tests. Carbon dating is only accurate to about 60,000 years or so. To go back further, you need radiometric dating using isotopes (uranium-235, -238, potassium-40, etc.) with longer half-lives. And you find those elements not in the dinosaur bones or the sedimentary rocks they're uncovered from, but in igneous rock found in the same rock layers.

So, carbon dating doesn't work for dinosaurs, etc. But, you can bet the proselytizers armed with a tiny bit of science and a whole lot of hubris are all over the "carbon dating" thing as being wildly inaccurate and "proof" that science is mistaken.

If you believe that the earth is only 6,000 years or so, then carbon dating would be perfect for everything.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Aw, you passed up a chance to go to the Creationist Museum?! Two words: dinosaur rides.
    If I had free tickets I'd go. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I'm not going to give them ANY financial support. It's $25 for an adult to get in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast