How to see if your atomizer is truly dead with a Voltmeter - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to see if your atomizer is truly dead with a Voltmeter

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Multimeters (VOM's)

I read this thread with great interest. It's always nice to be able to test your equipment to make sure it's up to snuff. Hope it's OK to say this...... think I saw someone already mention Flea Bay. You can find fantastic deals on high quality meters (like Flukes) there. I bought $300+ meter for $35. The only reason it was being sold was the company that owned it did not want to bother sending it back to Fluke for recalibration. You can find digital auto ranging meters all the time in the Industrial section. There are also attachments you can add to your leads that have little alligator clips on them or "hook clips" to help free up a hand when measuring. They come in very handy.

It's just a thought.... hope it helps someone.... Horton

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    If anyone is interested.
    Harbor Freight Tools - Decent digital meter for $3.00. It will do the job nicely for checking atomizers and batteries. I would buy one myself if I needed one.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Cheers;
    jd
    Now this is what a call a deal.. Love bargains.. Thanks for posting

If ya'all would like pick up a good one like I use on my job, get the Fluke 125. If not, the one from Harbor Freight will work just fine for e-cigs. I think I'm going to pick one up myself just for my attys.

Fluke 125 scopemeter
    Holy Crap!!! A Fluke 125!! I think that is a little overkill. Any Fluke multimeter would be fine. Even the cheap HF is more than enough for making measurements for our ecig stuff. No need to go nuts here.

My Fluke 8021B meter ( I know, antique ) is reading 54 ohms from the original atty of my 510, I cleaned it with alcohol but no difference. What's the problem ?

Full Member ECF Veteran

cuz cleaning cannot undo changes to the heating element, it can just keep it from going bad. it can also change the speed the heat transfers from the element to the e-juice making for bad hits. if its reading 54 ohms its dead. if it reads good, but hits crappy then clean it.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I have worked in electronics off & on since 1977 and the Fluke is a beautiful meter and anything made by Fluke is top of the line but Wayyyyy beyond what is needed to test attys. Besides how many attys could you throw away for the 2 grand price tag of the Fluke?
    Stormynights, the dial on the left side of you analog meter is the zero adjust, The harbor freight meters, while funcanable are not known for accuracy. also every body remember to keep your fingers off of the metal part of the tips while taking readings, you will get some really weard readings otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nietzsc View Post
    You can test cartomizers too, is the same procedure, red prob (+) in the center post and black prob (-) on the outer threaded ring, the only difference is that a cartomizer has a female conector, like the battery of a 510
    So for a Boge or some such carto with stuffing you would stick it down the center hole of the stuffing? Anyone have a pic?

What about Joye's where you can't get past the last plastic seal?
    Vaping since 2009.

Full Member ECF Veteran

To test your ohm meter you can buy a 3-5 pack of 2.5Kohm-10Kohm resistors with a 5%-10% tolerance from your local Radio-Shack for 1.00-1.50.I'd buy 2.5K-5K since that's around the area your going to be tesing around.If your using some good digitals a 5K resistor with a 10% tolerance will read 5.05 to 4.95Kohms.The tolerence is just margin of error and really nothing to worry about.Most digitals will round to 5K anyway.

It doesn't matter where the positive or negitive leads are connected on the resistor or your atty,but you do want one on the threads and one on the center contact of atty because that's where the battery's contact points are touching,plus most atty's threads and middle contact are gold plated.If your using clips make sure the side with the lead soldered to it is the one touching what your measuring or the reading will be off.
    My Ego 510's threads and middle contact post are gold plated and read,new,right around 4K ohms.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by roberted5 View Post
    To test your ohm meter you can buy a 3-5 pack of 2.5Kohm-10Kohm resistors with a 5%-10% tolerance from your local Radio-Shack for 1.00-1.50.I'd buy 2.5K-5K since that's around the area your going to be tesing around.If your using some good digitals a 5K resistor with a 10% tolerance will read 5.50 to 4.5Kohms.The tolerence is just margin of error and really nothing to worry about.Most digitals will round to 5K anyway.

It doesn't matter where the positive or negitive leads are connected on the resistor or your atty,but you do want one on the threads and one on the center contact of atty because that's where the battery's contact points are touching,plus most atty's threads and middle contact are gold plated.If your using clips make sure the side with the lead soldered to it is the one touching what your measuring or the reading will be off.
    My Ego 510's threads and middle contact post are gold plated and read,new,right around 4K ohms.
    You test a cartomizer the same way,one contact touching the threads of your cart the other that touches the inside of baterry that surrounded by small o-ring.You don't have to get inside the cart,in fact that's not what your battery is reading.It's the threads and middle contact of your cart that touches post surrounded by o-ring inside battery threads that your battery is reading as resistence.
    Last edited by roberted5; 05-02-2011 at 12:21 PM.

If anyone is interested.
    Harbor Freight Tools - Decent digital meter for $3.00. It will do the job nicely for checking atomizers and batteries. I would buy one myself if I needed one.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Cheers;
    jd
    Sorry I know this post is 2 yrs old but what is your meter called? I went to the site you referred but couldn't figure out which meter is the one you have?