Nichrome wire? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nichrome wire?

PV Master ECF Veteran Jim Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opusMorian View Post
    Jim, you are pretty close to where I live. I ordered like 50 feet of nichrome 80 .004 wire for like $25 shipped. If you want, you can buy 25 feet from me when it gets here for $10.

actual price shipped was $27.24 from pelicanwire.com
    I'll PM ya in a few minutes.

Does any one know what the Wick is made of on the 901.

Quote Originally Posted by macar44 View Post
    Does any one know what the Wick is made of on the 901.
    The ones I have from bestecig.com do not have a wick, just some tiny rock-hard little doodad that the coil is wound around. I can't figure out what it is made of. Maybe ceramic but doesn't seem like it, more like a bit of hard plastic. It didn't seem to be melted.

PV Master ECF Veteran Jim Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vslim View Post
    The ones I have from bestecig.com do not have a wick, just some tiny rock-hard little doodad that the coil is wound around. I can't figure out what it is made of. Maybe ceramic but doesn't seem like it, more like a bit of hard plastic. It didn't seem to be melted.
    Plastic would melt, and would be toxic. Probably a type of ceramic. Maybe the inside material is just for support of the coil.

You can get nichrome wire in 1-2 foot lenghts from some thing like WOODLAND SCENICS Hot Wire Foam Cutter you can buy the kit and some times can find it at a hobby shop in short lenths for the foam craft cutters.
    (Foam Cutter Replacement Wire (model ST1436) sold in a package of 4 ft. length. Special nichrome wire retains an even temperature needed to cut foam products. Use with Hot Wire Foam Cutter and Foam Cutter Bow & Guide.)2$

wire is wraped around ceramic probably.

Default stainless is a bad choice

Stainless Steel is a bad choice overall, it can't be soldered, its heat chacteristics suck, and the individual coils will short out if they touch. Nichrome is by far the best choice. First of all, it can be soldered. Secondly it's designed to handle constant temps over 2000 degrees F. Lastly, nichrome has a great side effect once current is ran through it and it heats up. Chromium Oxide forms on the surface of the wire and insulates the coils from each other. Chromiun Oxide is black and has a powder look to it. This, I believe, is the "black soot" everyone complains about not being able to "clean" off of their attys. Flat Nichrome rings or spirals could very well be an alternative to coils.....food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Is there any place available for nichrome coil wire? I have attys with broken coils that would be quite easy to replace.

I get it from here: PnJ Resources, LLC : Nichrome 80

100ft. for ~ $7

I use 40 gauge when rebuilding broken atomizers but I think the stock gauge is more like 36.

Full Member ECF Veteran HockerMagnum's Avatar

What length nichrome do you use and how do you secure the lead wires to the coil?

Senior Member ECF Veteran 500KV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HockerMagnum View Post
    how do you secure the lead wires to the coil?
    Now that's the million dollar question Hocker
    The second mouse gets the cheese :D

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast