Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A new design for a Repairable atomizer

Default A new design for a Repairable atomizer

I have thought long and hard of coming up with a design for an easy to repair/rebuild atomizer. I had been rebuilding my 510 attys for awhile and looked for an easier solution. To my dismay, there are 2 already on the market, the Ato-Mizer and the Buili A2. I recently purchased the Ato-Mizer. I rather regret not choosing the Buili instead. However, I am still going forward with my ideas and design.
    I have decided to use connective pins (female pins in the unit and male pins on the ends of the NiChrome coils).
    Here is an image of the idea:

In one the images I have shown it to look like Ato-Mizer, short and stubby, but this is not my idea for the final product. I want it to have a longer
    tube and the tip will be designed to have a smooth edge. I want it to be customizable for those, like me, that spent extra money on a drip tip to still
    be able to use them, and if you don't have a drip tip it will still be a nice mouth piece comfortable for vaping.
    I just have to find someone, or some machining company to make a prototype for me because I don't have the tools or material to do it myself.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by Bowlcut3x; 04-16-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: wrong photo uploaded

Super Member ECF Veteran

I am not familiar with this type of setup but, either I am missing it or there is no wicking material. I dunno

Sorry, I had to re upload the image with the coil and wick. In the original photo I merely wanted to show the unit. The coil/wick were not that important to show because I thought it was an obvious element to the atomizer. I have fixed this image.
    Thank you for the advice.

Oops!
    Posted twice.

Super Member ECF Veteran

It looks a lot like the one that Drew sells at nHaler. Also why ordered the Bulli A2, looks much nicer than the one Drew sells. I think aesthetics are very important to most people and would not want such a large atty on their device, even if it works great. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee802 View Post
    It looks a lot like the one that Drew sells at nHaler. Also why ordered the Bulli A2, looks much nicer than the one Drew sells. I think aesthetics are very important to most people and would not want such a large atty on their device, even if it works great. JMHO.
    I understand the bottom image does. The top most image is more of what I am aiming for. I agree about a large device on the top. This is mostly why I wanted to make it smaller. And I did want to order the A2 instead of the Ato-Mizer mostly for that reason, however I didn't want to wait nearly a month to receive it. I regret that decision now though. The Ato-Mizer was $71.50 total with shipping and which looks amateur in comparison to the A2.
    Also, my design idea is to make it even quicker and simplier to change out the coil, lose the screws, with using pins. It'll be like plugging in a cable into the back of your tv kind of quick and easy. ha ha
    Remember, those images are the idea of the design in progress. I don't actually have a prototype just yet. Though, as soon as I do get one I will be sure to post some images, and maybe a video, of it here.

*Oh... I think I can see also what you mean. In my images I show there being screws, 2 of them. These screws are there because the bottom of this unit is actually 2 pieces and the screws are used to hold them together. I'm sure it can be made of one piece, but another thing I find VERY useful is when something goes wrong, hopefully not for a long time ha ha, I want the owner to be able to take it completely apart and fix the problem.
    For example, after some time the wire going to the positive connection is starting to burn or melt the enamel coating around the wire because some, as I do, prefer to vape at higher voltage and instead of having to purchase a new one they can simply take the unit apart and solder in a new wire.
    I know this is not the norm, because many people now days are far more greedy and would rather make another sale instead of helping out someone that already invested money into their product.

I hope this helps some.
    Last edited by Bowlcut3x; 04-16-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Isnt the point to make this easier than the a2 or ato mizer? by the looks of the design would every new coil need to be soldered onto the connective pins? or are you wanting to sell them pre soldered? I like the design but am just curious about that. I love the my a2 it has already saved me money. I also was not very happy with the ato mizer.

Quote Originally Posted by atavanhalen View Post
    Isnt the point to make this easier than the a2 or ato mizer? by the looks of the design would every new coil need to be soldered onto the connective pins? or are you wanting to sell them pre soldered? I like the design but am just curious about that. I love the my a2 it has already saved me money. I also was not very happy with the ato mizer.
    Yes, I want to have them come with 50 already pre-coiled and soldered. There will also be replacement pre-coiled and soldered wires/wicks that can be ordered. I don't know how much but I'm thinking they'll be in counts of 25 and come to about $6. Not really sure because I don't know what the cost of everything will be yet (wick, NiCrhome wire and pins). However, the price of NiChrome is only about $4 for 30ft and the wick I recently found at $0.40ft. I can't imagine it costing that much.

There are 2 factors I have thought of in this scenario. One is that even the cheapest cartomizer I have seen is $1.50 and this will be AT MOST $0.25, so if in a pack of 25 that would only be $6.25 as opposed to 25 cartomizers $37.50, and I won't even get into atomizers being around $7.50 a piece. ha ha I can't even add up how much money I have spent over the past 2 years of vaping on attys.
    Unfortunately I went back to analogs for about 4 months, but that's another story for another day.
    Two, this will be simple and quick to replace. Also, I have tested a couple using a 25 pin D-Sub connector from Radio Shack and found that anyone even with the most basic beginners skill in soldering can simply solder on a new pin to the NiChrome if they wanted. I think I will make a video showing how to do this once I ever get this thing going. That mean the owner would then only have to pay for their NiChrome and wick. They could make as many in advance as they liked.
    Furthermore, just as the A2 and Ato-mizer, the elements needing replacement will be offered once the owner needed more.

Great question. Thank you.
    Last edited by Bowlcut3x; 04-17-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: I really need to start proof reading before posting ;)

Quote Originally Posted by atavanhalen View Post
    ... I also was not very happy with the ato mizer.
    Just curious, did your Ato-Mizer also come with a standard flat-head screwdriver, and the unit having Philip screws as mine did?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlcut3x View Post
    Just curious, did your Ato-Mizer also come with a standard flat-head screwdriver, and the unit having Philip screws as mine did?
    Thanks for the explanation. Wouldnt it be a little time consuming for you to solder 50 solder spots for 6.50? Tbh I would not mind doing it myself but there are a lot of people that would be put off by it. Do not take my criticism as deconstructive because I like the idea.

And to answer your question, my ato mizer also came with a flat head screw driver and it kind of bummed me out. It does work though, just not as easy as if you had the phillips. It seems like if the atomizer has phillips head screws then it should have the corresponding screw driver.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast