If you have seen or have been following the original Pyrex-SS hybrid wick thread (link below), you know that many of the great minds in ECF have recently been running in overdrive, inspired by Dan's great design concept. In fact poor Dan's original thread quickly grew to over 150 pages with posts from exited members. Because of this, that thread became difficult to read and many of us began to feel a bit guilty about how we took Dan's thread and ran away with it over the hill.
So, there are now 3 new threads dedicated to different aspects of the ideas originally posted in that thread and this thread is one of those. They are:
Scubabatdan's original thread The Pyrex SS hybrid Wick : In (somewhat delayed ) respect to Dan's original idea this one is unofficially closed to new posts. This is a real good read if you want to get to know what ideas have been brought forth thus far and to get inspired to join in.
BJ's New: Dan's scubaqu only thread: This is for results of completed working version of Dan's original design (and derivitives) only. Please refrain from conversation on new design ideas (see next thread for that). The point here is to have a more concise, clean list of results for members to see.
bapgood's ScubaQu Issues and Ideas thread : "ScubaQu info/help/potential design improvements". discussion of ideas, works in progress, and improvements to Dan's original concept. Please do not post concepts or ideas completely outside of the scope of the ScubaQu. Trying to keep this thread focused on further developing / perfecting the ScubaQu only.
THIS thread:This one is for whatever comes into your head as to alternative methods for getting the wick to spew tons of delectable vapor with a minimum of hassle and to reduce/eliminate shorting issues. The main principals we want to encompass are:
- Ease of use. Many members find it difficult to get an RBA to function properly. Even seasoned pros admit that it can be a little hit and miss. We would like to come up with easier and more foolproof methods of setting up a wicking/vaporizing system for RBAs that could be used by anyone willing to put in some initial effort. This does not mean that it has to be "simple" but, if it takes effort to setup/build, it should be easy to use after initial construction.
- Reduced maintenance. This would include ease of wick replacement and reduced buildup of gunk on the coil/heater.
- Functionality and performance. Let's face it, if it doesn't work well in the end, there's not much point. However many a great idea started with massive failures so, if you have an idea, don't necessarily abandon it at the first sign of trouble.
- Safety. We want to garner concepts that will not endanger our fellow vapers. Even if it outperforms all other systems yet devised, if it has a likelihood (or even a strong possibility) of being a safety concern (blowing up, emitting toxic gases, etc.), we want to weed those out. Careful testing and contemplation of the devices we envision with an eye toward safety should always be uppermost in our minds. We also don't want anyone hurt while testing theories and concepts here...so play it safe.
To be totally caught-up with the current state of things, you would have to read Scubabatdan's original thread but, if you have an idea, toss it in and we'll let you know if it's been tried. Please try not to chit-chat in this thread as I suspect it will grow rapidly with just keeping to the point
With that, I open the floor to all comers with an idea. Let the creative (and e-)juices flow...