Thread: Micro coils

Default Micro coils

What do you guys use to make your micro coils? What kind of tools are must have. What do you use to wrap. Do you use a torch or a regular lighter? What gauge kanthal do you use for sub ohms? Does everyone have a different method? Just thought this would be a good topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full Member ECF Veteran Spacedoutart's Avatar

Personally I use 30 gauge wire. I use a micro screwdriver to wrap my coils on, with a diameter of 1.6mm (super close to 1/16). Tools mostly depend on the device. Screwdriver for wrapping and tightening down the post, nail clippers for cutting the wire close, and tweezers to pinch and shape the coil. I dont torch my kanthal; however, I wrap coils really close on my own. My favorite setup for the micro coil is 5/6 wrap for 1.3 ohms.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use a 14 gauge needle and wrap my coil around that. Typically an eight or nine wrap with 28SWG nichrome. Once done I use tweezers to hold the coil and slightly compress it while I heat it with a jet lighter. I use cotton for wick. I just shred it up a whole lot and then poke it through with a piece of scrap wire. Wet your wick and vape. Lately though I have been using a method I recently came up with. I have the build in this same sub form. Check it out I am calling it a flat wrap or a zig zag heading element.

i have been trying to build micro coils but i keep failing,i always get a burnt taste from them not sure what i am doing wrong

Full Member ECF Veteran Spacedoutart's Avatar

From my time with micros. I have found that usually burnt taste is from not enough cotton in the wick (so parts of the coil are not wet and burning as hot spots. If you have a strong cotton taste then you have too much cotton and its choking. This can be tricky to get just right but after some practice, it will be amazing.

Full Member*
    Blog Entries

I have been using 30 gauge kanthal with great success. Check out my tutorial on a dual-coil Kanger T3S.
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...l#post11641220

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

30g seems to be a good middle ground gauge to use. I use a coil jig when i make mine and getting the cotton right seems an art form, but the general rule is :less is better.

If you see cotton bunching up forming "shoulders" when in your coil, then you have to much. Remember it swells when wet.

T

You are what you eat? I don't remember eating a sexy beast this morning!