Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Brass made atomizer are toxic?

Default Brass made atomizer are toxic?

I am planning to buy a C.R.A. fatty atomizer, but I found a comment on a blog that this product is poisonous because it is made of Brass.
    Brass is an alloy composed of copper and zinc. Zinc turns to Zinc Oxide.
    Zinc Oxide (when inhaled) results in Metal fume fever which is a respiratory ailment.
    So what do you think? Because this C.R.A. product costs about $16 but the real product costs $50..

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rfurton View Post
    I am planning to buy a C.R.A. fatty atomizer, but I found a comment on a blog that this product is poisonous because it is made of Brass.

So what do you think? Because this C.R.A. product costs about $16 but the real product costs $50..
    Brass would be about the Last Material I would consider.

Moved On Verified Member
    Blog Entries

Yes brass is toxic... definitely don't do this... if it is from china let others know that this exists and not to get it... if it is from the USA, find the proper authorities and report these people... that is so dangerous it's ridiculous!

wow. my friend is using this for his atomizer. damn this is crazy. thanks for your feedback. ill buy the expensive one now.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rfurton View Post
    wow. my friend is using this for his atomizer. damn this is crazy. thanks for your feedback. ill buy the expensive one now.
    Ask Him if His e-Lquid is turning Green.

Seriously, Brass Oxides are Bad News. As are just about ALL Metal Oxides.

six
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

An atty coil is never going to get brass to the flare temperature where zinc oxide is released. It isn't hot enough. It's no where near hot enough.

That said: There are a lot of different kinds of brass. Some contain lead to make them easier to machine. But, then one should also realize that the only Stainless Steel that doesn't contain lead is the stuff they use for hip and knee replacements. So, depending on the exact alloy, Brass and Stainless Steel pose the exact same hazards. - And those hazards for vaping do not include zinc oxide.
    gotsteam? and sportfury like this.
    Le gach dea-ghuí is go dtéigh tú slán

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by six View Post
    An atty coil is never going to get brass to the flare temperature where zinc oxide is released. It isn't hot enough. It's no where near hot enough.

That said: There are a lot of different kinds of brass. Some contain lead to make them easier to machine. But, then one should also realize that the only Stainless Steel that doesn't contain lead is the stuff they use for hip and knee replacements. So, depending on the exact alloy, Brass and Stainless Steel pose the exact same hazards. - And those hazards for vaping do not include zinc oxide.
    Metal Oxides don't need to be "Released". Just in contact with e-Liquids.

Also, Chromium Oxides such as what Forms on the Surface Boundary of Stainless Steel, are considered to be Chemically Stable under most Conditions. Chromium Oxides Inhibited the formation of Iron Oxides. ie: "Rust". This is what Makes Stainless Steel such a Good Choice for use around Chemicals.

six
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    Metal Oxides don't need to be "Released". Just in contact with e-Liquids.

Also, Chromium Oxides such as what Forms on the Surface Boundary of Stainless Steel, are considered to be Chemically Stable under most Conditions. Chromium Oxides Inhibited the formation of Iron Oxides. ie: "Rust". This is what Makes Stainless Steel such a Good Choice for use around Chemicals.
    If the coil were made out of brass, maybe (and i still doubt it) there's a chance of zinc oxide exposure. That's moot since brass wire would be far too high resistance to be useful as a coil. - Brass has traditionally been used as a material for the bowls and screens of smoking pipes.

My comment about SS has to do with the lead content which is quite similar to the lead content in a lot of different brass alloys that are intended to be machined. - I never thought much about that until I watched pbusardos interview with Zen. He had quite a lot to say about it.
    sportfury likes this.
    Le gach dea-ghuí is go dtéigh tú slán

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by six View Post
    If the coil were made out of brass, maybe (and i still doubt it) there's a chance of zinc oxide exposure. That's moot since brass wire would be far too high resistance to be useful as a coil. - Brass has traditionally been used as a material for the bowls and screens of smoking pipes.

My comment about SS has to do with the lead content which is quite similar to the lead content in a lot of different brass alloys that are intended to be machined. - I never thought much about that until I watched pbusardos interview with Zen. He had quite a lot to say about it.
    Yeah, I haven't seen too many Atomizer Wires made of Brass.

But I have seen some Mods where people use Bass in Contact with e-Liquids. I'm not out to Save the World. If a Person wants to use Brass in contact with e-Liquids, fine. I Wouldn't.

Lead in any Bare Metal is Extreme Bad News. Period. There is No Acceptable Level of Lead Exposure because Lead Cannot Exit the Body once it Enters it. And what Lead does, even at Minuscule amounts is Tragic.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Swampey65's Avatar

I am certainly no expert metallurgist but, I would think that any atomizer that's chrome plated brass (as that one states it is) would be ok to use, as long as the chrome is not chipped off or brass is exposed anywhere no?

I believe this is the blog you are referring to: C.R.A. Chiatty Review « pinoyvaper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast