Vaping in public - where should people draw the line?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Vaping in public - where should people draw the line?

Default Vaping in public - where should people draw the line?

I'm interested in the circumstances people are comfortable vaping? Would you vape under any of these circumstances, and if so, what's your reasoning?

1. a smoker's corner outside an office block
    2. near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign
    3. on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver
    4. in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera
    5. sitting in the reading section of a public library
    Last edited by Pleski; 04-05-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling!

Full Member Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

1. Absolutely. Always a great conversation starter to hopefully get another smoker to switch. My only concern is that if I hang around smokers enough I will end up joining them and regreting it.

2. Yep - not smoking so no problems there

3. Bus, train, taxi - just stealth!

4. See above. Although I don't tend to bother stealthing if there is nobody else in the lift. I don't go massive clouds either - there is a nice middle ground

5. Errrrr....probably not. Unless the library allowed for things like coffee I'd be concerned that the smell might be annoying to some people (just like strong perfume or after shave).
    brooksisusername likes this.

1. I would vape but as a matter of principle I would not be seen in the "leper's corner". Even when I still smoked I'd rather go for a walk than stand on corners.
    2. No problem, but if I had any reason to be in the building I would stealth vape inside.
    3. No problem but without big clouds of vapour.
    4. As above.
    5. As above.

And here are places where I vaped:

1. Inside RTA office.
    2. Inside Westfield shopping centre.
    3. In the National Gallery cafe in Canberra.
    4. On the corridor of a private hospital (I was not a patient).

So you can see that I vape as I please. So far NOBODY ever even noticed my e-cig, like it was invisible. Gives me joy BTW my batteries are NOT white with red LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewunia View Post
    So far NOBODY ever even noticed my e-cig, like it was invisible. Gives me joy BTW my batteries are NOT white with red LED.
    LOL. I've become a bit of a stealth vaper myself. People generally only see what they expect to see. There's no smoke without fire... so to speak.

I have had odd looks with one of the less cigarrette-like rigs though. Some people think they're some sort of wicked device. I made a note to myself to carry a cigarette style e-vape for high visibility situations, and keep my beloved eGo rig for more discreet places.

Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    I'd be concerned that the smell might be annoying to some people (just like strong perfume or after shave).
    Have you ever had anyone, like a stranger, comment on the smell?

Super Member ECF Veteran

In the US, none of these places would bother me.

I never had any comments, but my experience is limited, because I started vaping 3.5 months ago.

Full Member Verified Member

1) a smoker's corner outside an office block

Sure, no problems here

2) near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign

Only if I wasn't in anyones way, and more likely to if people were smoking there and not paying attention to the sign

3) on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver

No, I use my ecig as cigarette replacement, so I don't smoke it anywhere where smoking a cigarette would be inappropriate (excluding my own house where I never smoked indoors or in a friends car / house as they know the ecig is harmless

4) in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera

As above

5) sitting in the reading section of a public library

As above. Honestly, unless you are horribly addicted to your ecig I see no reason why it can't be put down for later in these situations.
    jnnfrlsw likes this.

Full Member Verified Member

1) a smoker's corner outside an office block

Sure, no problems here

2) near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign

Only if I wasn't in anyones way, and more likely to if people were smoking there and not paying attention to the sign

3) on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver

No, I use my ecig as cigarette replacement, so I don't smoke it anywhere where smoking a cigarette would be inappropriate (excluding my own house where I never smoked indoors or in a friends car / house as they know the ecig is harmless

4) in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera

As above

5) sitting in the reading section of a public library

As above. Honestly, unless you are horribly addicted to your ecig I see no reason why it can't be put down for later in these situations.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I don't vape publicly indors, bus etc. I give people the benefit of the doubt not being able to tell if it's a vapor or smoke or even something on fire (bus scenario). I think that's fair. When asked outside about it I say it's a Personal Vaporiser go Google it. I never say E-cig because 1: it's not a cigarette, 2eople automatically think it's some kind of cigarette anyway and panic. When I say PV they are very interested. They just need to be educated about it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast