Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Panasonic CGR 18650 Batteries

  1. #1
    Full Member*
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    57

    Default Panasonic CGR 18650 Batteries

    Greetings,

    I've seen a few different CGR 18650 batteries. I was told these were carrying the Panasonic brand name. I saw them with CGR and NCR prefixes and also have different suffixes. What are these letters for and are there others? Which one is best? I heard NCR wasn't good compared to CGR but I never got a clear answer why.

    Also, I recently bought a CGR18650CH but had an Efest sticker that says 3100mAh. I was told Efest takes their batteries from Panasonic or something similar. Is this true?

  2. #2
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Royaldrunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    424

    Default

    most good batteries are from panasonic

    i just bought 4 cge 18650 batteries and they are considered one of the best hybrid hi drains around

  3. #3
    Resident Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Central GA
    Posts
    7,328

    Default

    Stick with LiMn IMR types and life will be safer. Li-ion batts are going away slowly because they can't take high drain without high heat and expansion that results in meltdown. IMR takes the heavy use much more safely. The CGR18650CH from Panasonic is a good example of safer IMR.
    Baditude likes this.

    And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

    Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

  4. #4
    Full Member*
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Stick with LiMn IMR types and life will be safer. Li-ion batts are going away slowly because they can't take high drain without high heat and expansion that results in meltdown. IMR takes the heavy use much more safely. The CGR18650CH from Panasonic is a good example of safer IMR.
    When you say CGR18650CH, does that mean its 3100mAh? This is a concern because the vendor told me it was 3100mAh and it says so on the Efest sticker as well as Li-ion and no IMR.

  5. #5
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Royaldrunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    424

    Default

    lithiom ion are still imr safer chemistry and range from 2000- 3700 roughly

  6. #6
    Resident Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Central GA
    Posts
    7,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wish View Post
    When you say CGR18650CH, does that mean its 3100mAh? This is a concern because the vendor told me it was 3100mAh and it says so on the Efest sticker as well as Li-ion and no IMR.
    Check out the discussion at Candlepower forums. These guys are neurotic about battery life in their blow torch flashlights. They run tests on them to discover actual use time at various drain levels. One guy says that at 5a drain, he gets longer life from a Panasonic 2200mah than he does with a Panasonic 3100mah.

    Panasonic CGR18650CH 2200 mAh (grey sleeve) opinions needed

    You might want to take a look at the Alibaba source that most of these come through to the US. CGR18650CH is used for 2200mah and 3100mah. It seems to be used as a classification of size and type for Panasonic rather than a specific part number. You will find 2200mah and 3100mah with the same CGR18650CH part number.

    http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...+18650+2200mah

    http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...50+3100mah+imr
    Last edited by DaveP; 01-28-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Platemail likes this.

    And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

    Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

  7. #7
    Full Member*
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Check out the discussion at Candlepower forums. These guys are neurotic about battery life in their blow torch flashlights. They run tests on them to discover actual use time at various drain levels. One guy says that at 5a drain, he gets longer life from a Panasonic 2200mah than he does with a Panasonic 3100mah.

    Panasonic CGR18650CH 2200 mAh (grey sleeve) opinions needed

    You might want to take a look at the Alibaba source that most of these come through to the US. CGR18650CH is used for 2200mah and 3100mah. It seems to be used as a classification of size and type for Panasonic rather than a specific part number. You will find 2200mah and 3100mah with the same CGR18650CH part number.

    Panasonic 18650 2200mah-Panasonic 18650 2200mah Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.comElectrical Equipment & Supplies

    Panasonic 18650 3100mah Imr-Panasonic 18650 3100mah Imr Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com
    It's basically an awesome battery. I get that part. But did I really get a 3100mAh? Because all I see with 3100mAh is the NCR18650A. Or will I never know what the correct mAh of my new battery?

  8. #8
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Royaldrunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    424

    Default

    i believe the cgr is a better battery than the ncr and puts out a 10 amp rating

  9. #9
    Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spa City
    Posts
    496

    Default

    To find the mAh just time how long it takes to charge your battery. If you have a 2000 mAh battery it will take ~4 hours to charge on a 500mAh charger. Not exact but gives you an idea
    DaveP and Bob_M like this.

  10. #10
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran muzichead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    There is a thread here on ECF that clarifies it, but from what I remember the CGR is a "safer chemistry" battery and the NCR is a "protected" battery. The CGR is meant to be used in APV's that don't have protection built in. I believe this is due to the higher amp rating in the cell. I will look around for the thread. It was from several months ago. I think it was in the Super-T sub-forum actually...
    brolaf likes this.
    Reo Grand w/ VA Cyclone // everything else has been retired

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks