Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Help: Which Battery: Samsung INR18650-20R or Sony US18650V3 ?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Help: Which Battery: Samsung INR18650-20R or Sony US18650V3 ?

Just need some quick help selecting a battery. Most of my builds are ‘not’ sub ohm but I would just like to use the safest battery and have the option should I venture into sub ohm builds. Of these two, which is the better/safer battery?

2. Advertisement
    Blog Entries

Between those two choices, I'd say the Samsung is the clear winner with its 20 cont. max. discharge rating. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...000mAh-(Green)

http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=106

For serious and safe sub ohm builds that specification is most important. You'd have to go with the Sony VTC3 1600mah, MNKE 1500mah, or AW 1600mah IMR's to do better from the choices in the below list. Personally, I feel the the IMR's would be the "safer" choice being that they are a safer chemistry with a higher tolerance to heat, and less likely to vent or throw flames than the Li Ion Samsung. Need help picking the best battery for Sub Ohm Vaping

battery model/mAh/cont. max. discharge

Samsung Li Ion (LiNiCoMnP)
    INR18650-20R 2000mah 20A

Sony IMR
    us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh 10A

Sony Li Ion
    SE US18650VTC3 1600mAh 30

Panasonic hybrid
    CGR18650CH 2250mAh 10A
    NCR18650PD 2900mAh 10A

AW IMR
    18650 2000mah 10A
    18650 1600mah 24A

EFEST IMR
    18650 2000mah 10A

MNKE
    IMR18650 1500mah 20A

(resource - IMR Batteries "What exactly does "IMR" mean?")

The above info is accurate to the best of my knowledge.
    Last edited by Baditude; 09-13-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: changed us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh classification to IMR
    Ryedan, tA71ana, tnt56 and 1 others like this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    Between those two choices, I'd say the Samsung is the clear winner with its 20 cont. max. discharge rating. Test/Review of Samsung INR18650-20R 2000mAh (Green)

For serious safe sub ohm builds that specification is most important. You'd have to go with the Sony VTC3 1600mah, MNKE 1500mah, or AW 1600mah IMR's to do better from the choices in the below list. Personally, I feel the the IMR's would be the "safer" choice being that they are a safer chemistry with a higher tolerance to heat, and less likely to vent or throw flames than the Li Ion Samsung. Need help picking the best battery for Sub Ohm Vaping

battery model/mAh/cont. max. discharge

Samsung Li Ion
    INR18650-20R 2000mah 20A

Sony Li Ion
    us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh 10A

Sony Li Ion
    SE US18650VTC3 1600mAh 30

Panasonic hybrid
    CGR18650CH 2250mAh 10A
    NCR18650PD 2900mAh 10A

AW IMR
    18650 2000mah 10A
    18650 1600mah 24A

EFEST IMR
    18650 2000mah 10A

MNKE
    IMR18650 1500mah 20A

(resource - IMR Batteries "What exactly does "IMR" mean?")

The above info is accurate to the best of my knowledge.
    Thanks Baditude. It will be a 'backup' battery for the AW IMR's. I have some credit on an Fasttech order and they don't sell the AW IMR's. I was unsure if the Sony US18650V3's might be 'safer' being 'manganese' based rather than the 'nickel oxide' of the Samsungs. I am trying to up to speed on battery technology and how it relates to PV's but I just need to add a battery to my Fasttech order and options are limited. Safety is my primary concern.
    Thanks so much for the help!
    Baditude likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
    Thanks Baditude. It will be a 'backup' battery for the AW IMR's. I have some credit on an Fasttech order and they don't sell the AW IMR's. I was unsure if the Sony US18650V3's might be 'safer' being 'manganese' based rather than the 'nickel oxide' of the Samsungs. Safety is my primary concern.
    Thanks so much for the help!
    Well, I learned something today. Thanks for pointing out that the Sony US18650V3 is an IMR which I was able to confirm here: AkkuDB. That information changes my former recommendation. I'm perplexed about which of the two choices is a better/safer battery for sub ohm. Either battery should perform safely if used under normal vaping situations. But sub ohms place added power demands on batteries.

On one hand, high drain IMR's with a higher cont. max. discharge rate are recommended for use for sub ohm use. The Sony now fits into that category.

And on the other hand, the Samsung has twice the cont. max. discharge as the Sony, so does that make it a safer choice for sub ohms, despite its Li Ion chemistry? I've seen no info that the Samsung is protected, so is it safe to use in a mech mod in a high demand use?

Battery manufacturers and vendors need to do a better job of listing battery chemistry and battery class, and provide specifications for said batteries in the product description.

Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable battery experts can add to this discussion?

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The Samsung is an INR battery, it's a safer chemistry.
    Nikkita6 and Baditude like this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran 23skidoo's Avatar

A bit off topic but relevant to the vendor you have a credit with- there are some concerns with all lithium batteries being shipped out of China by air. They are sending back some packages with lithium batteries to the vendors trying to ship them. That could mean you won't be able to get your battery of choice delivered normally.

You can read more about it HK Post: Delay In Outbound Air Mail Services (10 September 2013): FastTech Forums

Since it's a backup for you it may not make any difference, but I just want you to be aware of what's happening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by st0nedpenguin View Post
    The Samsung is an INR battery, it's a safer chemistry.
    Thank you Jesus. Do you have a link to the INR being a safe chemistry battery? My current knowlege is that only IMR and hybrid batteries are safe chemistry.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
    A bit off topic but relevant to the vendor you have a credit with- there are some concerns with all lithium batteries being shipped out of China by air. They are sending back some packages with lithium batteries to the vendors trying to ship them. That could mean you won't be able to get your battery of choice delivered normally.

You can read more about it HK Post: Delay In Outbound Air Mail Services (10 September 2013): FastTech Forums

Since it's a backup for you it may not make any difference, but I just want you to be aware of what's happening.
    Not off topic at all 23skidoo, quite relevant actually. I was unaware of this issue. I will definitely take this into consideration on my Fasttech orders.

As far as specs go the Samsung would appear to be the better battery. As to which one is safer I am unsure. Thanks for your input Baditude.
    Baditude and 23skidoo like this.

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    Thank you Jesus. Do you have a link to the INR being a safe chemistry battery? My current knowlege is that only IMR and hybrid batteries are safe chemistry.
    There was a discussion in one of the threads on one of the flashlight forums, can't for the life of me remember which one it was now though.
    Baditude likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

The only place that says INR is safer than IMR batteries is in flashlight wiki... I don't believe anything in Wiki since it's not a reliable source. I have been trying to confirm it because I, too, am smitten with the Samsung INR18650-20R 2000mAh results due to it being able to deliver the high current but AW IMR 18650 1600mAh has such a long track record of safety so I mainly stick with those or the MNKE until I get confirmation. I have written a few times about INR chemistry safety tests but no response yet.
    Baditude likes this.
    Science is science, forget the politics. Vaping saves lives.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast