eGo 1000mAh charging time with USB charger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eGo 1000mAh charging time with USB charger?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default eGo 1000mAh charging time with USB charger?

I keep reading about super fast charging times with the USB eGo charger, but my batteries are taking forever to charge, upwards of 5-7 hours, and it seems they're lasting less with each charge too. I just got them a few days ago so they've only been through three or four charge cycles each.

The only thing I can think I may be doing differently from others is charging directly off a USB port. I bought everything in pieces instead of getting a starter kit, and I haven't picked up a wall adapter yet.

Have others experienced this with the megas? Did I just get a couple of bum batteries? Am I doing something terribly wrong?
    Current setup: Zmax v3 - Cisco 306 - RW Vapors RY5 18mg @ 9-11w
    Pinch hitters: Kicked Legacy, Darwin, Icon 1.1, Reo Grand, Reo Mini, Chuck, 3.7v Box Mod, Saber Touch
    Gone but not forgotten: E9, KR808D-1 PT, eGo/Riva, Tekk mod, Buzz, eVic

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

That is strange, given how new they are, it does make me think of bad batteries offhand, but it could be a faulty usb charger as well. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Try charging one of the megaego batts in a regular 510 usb charger if you have one, it will work, but take even longer. If they hold a charge better than with your ego charger, that may be the problem. I have the same batteries, charge them only on usb, and they never take more than 4 hours, in my experience. Somethin's up, for sure. At least they're pretty new, so you can exchange them, worst case scenario.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Alas, I have no regular 510 charger.

I guess I'll send TW an email and ask them about it. Just wanted to get some feedback from others before I started that whole process. If anyone else has any ideas, let 'em fly.
    Current setup: Zmax v3 - Cisco 306 - RW Vapors RY5 18mg @ 9-11w
    Pinch hitters: Kicked Legacy, Darwin, Icon 1.1, Reo Grand, Reo Mini, Chuck, 3.7v Box Mod, Saber Touch
    Gone but not forgotten: E9, KR808D-1 PT, eGo/Riva, Tekk mod, Buzz, eVic

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I have the same thing with a Janty eGo. The web site says that the charger is 2-3 hours. The only time I have ever done a charge in 3 hours was the first charge.

After that, they all seem to take 5-7 hours like you said.

ECF Veteran

5 - 7 hours (average that to 6 hours) is charging at 250mAh. Check the specs (output current) on your charger and see what it says.

All 3 of my universal USB chargers say an output current of 0.15A (150mAh). That's going to take a long time to charge a 1000mAh battery.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by spider362 View Post
    5 - 7 hours (average that to 6 hours) is charging at 250mAh. Check the specs (output current) on your charger and see what it says.

All 3 of my universal USB chargers say an output current of 0.15A (150mAh). That's going to take a long time to charge a 1000mAh battery.
    All I know is that this is what I'm supposed to have...

eGo Fast Charger Cable

... and it does not charge a fully drained battery in 3 hours. More like 6.

Supporting Member

I checked the Charger I have. It say that the output is 420mh.

Of course, stickers can be printed for about .003 cents a piece. I have a multi meter but am not sure if it will check things that small. It isn't a very good meter.

ECF Veteran

I have one that looks just like that and it says the output is 0.2A (200mAh). If yours is the same it will take a bit over 5 hours to charge a 1000mAh battery.

As I said, look on the charger and see what the output current is. To charge in 2 hours like the site says the output will have to be 0.5A (500mAh) or more.

The USB port you have the charger plugged into can make a difference, too. If the USB port won't supply what the charger needs it will only supply what it's capable of, and that varies between computers.

If you're using an AC Adapter/Charger, make sure it's output is rated at 500mAh or more.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    I checked the Charger I have. It say that the output is 420mh.

Of course, stickers can be printed for about .003 cents a piece. I have a multi meter but am not sure if it will check things that small. It isn't a very good meter.
    That should charge the battery in about 2-1/2 to 3 hours assuming a fully discharged battery.

Checking current is a bit more complex than checking voltage. You'll have to make a "jig" so you can put the DMM in series with the battery and charger. Not an easy thing to do with all the specialized connectors e-cigs use without buying a couple of DIY connectors.

Just "assume" the label is correct for now.
    Last edited by spider362; 07-12-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Whistle_Pig's Avatar

I couldn't charge my eGoXL at all on a USB port. I wired one up direct to my computer's power supply, and that works just fine -- doesn't do anything but supply power, but it has plenty of available current.

Sometimes, an e-cig is just an e-cig. -- Sigmund Joyeud | Join the CoVapE Group | Colorado Vapers Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast