Manual eGo battery stuck "on"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Manual eGo battery stuck "on"

Default Manual eGo battery stuck "on"

One of my brand new Janty eGo batteries is stuck "on". Clicking the button has no effect and the button does not light up. As soon as I screw on an atty it starts sizzling. This battery has only been charged twice. Is this common or just a fluke? I found one other thread where this was mentioned. Has this happened to others? I'm glad I have my 510's as backup.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Yes, I had this happen also. The vendor did an exchange despite it being out of warranty by a week.

My theory is that there is something in the button and its return string that needs some QC work.

Dropping the eGo may be enough to cause the button/return spring/switch to fail. IMO. (Although I have dropped them many times and had only one fail...YMMV)

Mistressnomad has some cogent thoughts on this too.

Quote Originally Posted by 191ahc View Post
    Yes, I had this happen also. The vendor did an exchange despite it being out of warranty by a week.

My theory is that there is something in the button and its return string that needs some QC work.

Dropping the eGo may be enough to cause the button/return spring/switch to fail. IMO. (Although I have dropped them many times and had only one fail...YMMV)

Mistressnomad has some cogent thoughts on this too.
    My battery's switch functions okay, and clicks up and down, it just doesn't do anything all of a sudden and doesn't light up. The battery is just stuck "on".

I haven't dropped mine or anything. In fact, I put it in my case after charging it and when I pulled it out to use it, it was like this. The case was just sitting open next to my computer the whole time. Go figure.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Guess its time to send it back to the vendor. Sorry!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

it's entirely possible that you've experienced a failure of the mosfet chip that drives (afaik) all factory 'batteries', which are actually a battery with a chip and a switch and an LED, more accurately called a power supply [510, ego/riva, etc). uncommonly, yours has died in the closed position. the switch on the outside of your power supply activates and deactivates the mosfet chip, the flow of current doesn't actually go through the switch (again, afaik). this is a relatively common occurrence when these batteries are used with low resistance atomizers/cartomizers, which draws more current than the mosfet (and the battery too, probably) are rated to handle. unfortunately, most vendors (and manufacturers) have been either ignorant or dishonest (or a bit of both). low resistance atomizers/cartos (around 1.5 to 2.0 ohms) require around 2.5 amps of current to reach 3.7 volts, and factory power supplies with their mosfet-driven batteries aren't capable of putting out this much current for long. sometimes they just simply last less and less time per charge (the battery slowly loses capacity) and sometimes the mosfet dies. even if you weren't using a low res atty/carto, it seems most likely that your mosfet has died. there's nothing that can be done to resurrect this kind of battery with this kind of failure (one more time, afaik). hope i've been helpful. i'm a bit tired and kinda feel like i'm rambling..

Thanks tardcore, that was an informative comment. I hadn't really given much thought to the details of the failure, but I'll bet you are correct. No, I haven't been using LR attys because I had read here at ECF about that issue. I think I just got a dud battery. Still waiting to here back from the vendor to see if they will replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    One of my brand new Janty eGo batteries is stuck "on". Clicking the button has no effect and the button does not light up. As soon as I screw on an atty it starts sizzling. This battery has only been charged twice. Is this common or just a fluke? I found one other thread where this was mentioned. Has this happened to others? I'm glad I have my 510's as backup.
    The same problem just happened. I've had my Ego about 5 weeks and all was well until out of the blue the button stuck on and the button light was out. I contacted my vendor and he won't replace it but will give me store credit of $8 towards a new battery. After I contacted him, the next day my 2nd Ego battery did the same thing. I'm still waiting for the vendor to answer my 2nd email. I am reluctant to get another Ego battery. I do have 510 that I'm using. Vendor is local and out of town visiting right now.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tardcore View Post
    it's entirely possible that you've experienced a failure of the mosfet chip that drives (afaik) all factory 'batteries', which are actually a battery with a chip and a switch and an LED, more accurately called a power supply [510, ego/riva, etc). uncommonly, yours has died in the closed position. the switch on the outside of your power supply activates and deactivates the mosfet chip, the flow of current doesn't actually go through the switch (again, afaik). this is a relatively common occurrence when these batteries are used with low resistance atomizers/cartomizers, which draws more current than the mosfet (and the battery too, probably) are rated to handle. unfortunately, most vendors (and manufacturers) have been either ignorant or dishonest (or a bit of both). low resistance atomizers/cartos (around 1.5 to 2.0 ohms) require around 2.5 amps of current to reach 3.7 volts, and factory power supplies with their mosfet-driven batteries aren't capable of putting out this much current for long. sometimes they just simply last less and less time per charge (the battery slowly loses capacity) and sometimes the mosfet dies. even if you weren't using a low res atty/carto, it seems most likely that your mosfet has died. there's nothing that can be done to resurrect this kind of battery with this kind of failure (one more time, afaik). hope i've been helpful. i'm a bit tired and kinda feel like i'm rambling..
    Yes and no....

I've repaired literally dozens of eGo/Riva batteries with either "blown" or "stuck" MOSFETs. By-design, the MOSFETs should have no problem handling regular and LR atties/cartomizers. Anything above 1.1 Ohms generally works fine.

You run into problems when atomizers or cartomizers begin to malfunction. Sometimes instead of just "popping" and going "open" the atomizer or cartomizer will semi-short internally. When this happens the resistance can drop into the 1.0 Ohm range and the MOSFET will fail. But note that if the atomizer or cartomizer develops a "dead short" (below .2 Ohm or so) the circuitry inside of the eGo/Riva will usually detect it and shut off.. saving the MOSFET. So there is a range of resistances that can cause the eGo/Riva to fail. But most if not all LR atties and cartomizers are above that range and are "safe".
    JUDGMENT AFFIRMED likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottbee View Post
    Yes and no....

I've repaired literally dozens of eGo/Riva batteries with either "blown" or "stuck" MOSFETs. By-design, the MOSFETs should have no problem handling regular and LR atties/cartomizers. Anything above 1.1 Ohms generally works fine.

You run into problems when atomizers or cartomizers begin to malfunction. Sometimes instead of just "popping" and going "open" the atomizer or cartomizer will semi-short internally. When this happens the resistance can drop into the 1.0 Ohm range and the MOSFET will fail. But note that if the atomizer or cartomizer develops a "dead short" (below .2 Ohm or so) the circuitry inside of the eGo/Riva will usually detect it and shut off.. saving the MOSFET. So there is a range of resistances that can cause the eGo/Riva to fail. But most if not all LR atties and cartomizers are above that range and are "safe".
    Thanks for the info. I used the same atomizer on my 2nd battery and that probably caused the 2nd battery to fail.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDblue View Post
    Thanks for the info. I used the same atomizer on my 2nd battery and that probably caused the 2nd battery to fail.
    Yeah.. sadly that's kinda common. Folks will move a bad atty around from battery to battery, not realizing that the atty (or cartomizer) is sequentially destroying every battery that they screw it on to. When they finally figure it out, it's too late.
    JUDGMENT AFFIRMED likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast