Charging a new 18650 battery
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Charging a new 18650 battery

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Charging a new 18650 battery

I got 2 new TrustFire 18650 2400mah batterys and a TrustFire 001 multifunctional 2 bay charger.
    When I plugged in the charger it showed 2 green lights without any batterys inserted.
    I put both in and the green turned to red indicating a charging state. Both batterys were a very tight fit
    That was over 6 hours ago. they still are showing red so I assume they are still on charge.
    Is this a normal time for charging a new battery? I thought these were mostly pre-charged & held a charge for up to a year with minimal discharge.
    I have 14500's that charge in under 3 hours on a different charger.
    Any thoughts??
    Thanks

Super Member ECF Veteran Trucapri's Avatar

Mine isn't Trustfire, and I use a single battery charger, but I put one in about noon today and it's not finished yet. I normally don't take notice because I usually charge overnight . . . built in sensor. . . and I'm curious as well as to how long it takes. I've checked the connection a couple of times and its in snug, both the battery to the charger and the charge to the receptacle. We'll see????

Country G.R.I.T.S.

ECF Veteran

I'm on pins & needles here, these came with my new DON & I can't use it untill the battery's charge

Bummer

You're right!! I was fortuante that mine came in ready to go. With this one taking as long as it is, and even though it may always take this long and I just haven't watched before, I ordered a couple more and another charger today. Although I understand these batteries should take charge for as much as 6 months, I know sometimes you just get a dud!

Country G.R.I.T.S.

Thanks for posting. I just got a Lavatube to replace my Piper starter kit on Thursday and put the battery in and it worked right away. I don't know how long the battery's take to charge as i haven't needed to charge it yet. But it's awesome to know what to expect now. I love having a battery that lasts over 8 hours and ECF for always being there for great information.

Update: I've come to the conclusion that the charger light on mine is just stuck on red!

I popped it in my PV, pulls like a full charge to me!!

How's yours coming along??

Country G.R.I.T.S.

ECF Veteran

Still Charging ................. CRUD

& I'm old old school, they have to be fully charged for me to take them off charge.
    Trucapri and JenniBean like this.

It can take a long time to charge a 18650. It takes me 6-7 hours to charge a 14650 battery which has considerably less capacity and is considerably smaller. That's if my 14650s are down to less than 3.4 volts.

It could be that your 18650s had discharged considerably somewhere between the time they were made and when you got them. Sometimes batteries Li-ion batteries do that if they have been stored for quite a while.

I have a Trustfire TR-001 charger that I use for 14500s. It charges them in about four hours. It's a pretty slow charger but it will get the job done.
    Trucapri likes this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

are they protected batteries? this might be why there a tight fit... I have regular and protected 18650's 14500's and 18350's

All the protected ones are a bit longer and harder to fit in chargers/devices

ECF Veteran

I think they are the protected ones but I'm not sure. They are still charging, almost 8 hours now, but if they ever charge I can check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peezy View Post
    are they protected batteries? this might be why there a tight fit... I have regular and protected 18650's 14500's and 18350's

All the protected ones are a bit longer and harder to fit in chargers/devices

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast