battery charger cord failure - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: battery charger cord failure

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

After a little more reading, I've learned that many budget Li-Ion chargers (including apparently the TR001) actually go into a trickle-charging mode after the battery is charged and the green light comes on. This is unfortunate, as trickle-charging Li-Ions is not exactly safe. They will continue to accept charge as long as current is applied, and this can lead to overcharging. Overcharging Li-Ion batts is quite likely to eventually cause them to explode. Thus, it is extremely important that batteries themselves include overcharge protection. Problem is, even if they do have such protection, the circuit can fail. With a better-quality charger (charging overcharge-protected batts) that switches itself off after the batt is finished charging, the benefits are obvious...there is double protection...one picks up the slack if the other fails. The question does arise: why do cheap Li-Ion chargers trickle charge, then? I don't have an answer, but wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's just a crappy or flat-out faulty design which continues to be produced simply because it's cheap to do so. In any case, before I buy any other vaping gear I'll be snagging a better charger. In the meantime, will definitely watching for the TR001 green light like a hawk.

I'm not suggesting that this is what caused the OP's boss' incident, though of course it could be...just passing along what I've learned in the course of trying to find out what might have happened.
    Last edited by FsckCigs; 02-29-2012 at 04:42 AM.

PV Master Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Batteries can explode when you charge them. It's pretty rare but you should always charge them in a fireproof battery charging bag like this one: HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack

It's just a few bucks. I mean what's the risk here? Getting killed? Losing everything? People pay more money for fire insurance and smoke detector batteries. I also recommend you get yourself a metal box to put this bag in and charge them like that. That way even if they go off like a bottle rocket you're good to go. You only lose the battery.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ShogaNinja View Post
    Batteries can explode when you charge them. It's pretty rare but you should always charge them in a fireproof battery charging bag like this one: HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack

It's just a few bucks. I mean what's the risk here? Getting killed? Losing everything? People pay more money for fire insurance and smoke detector batteries. I also recommend you get yourself a metal box to put this bag in and charge them like that. That way even if they go off like a bottle rocket you're good to go. You only lose the battery.

I'm with you on this one. Cheap insurance! I've actually requested that ECF vendors consider carrying these (in another thread, now...this one too ) because I think people would be more likely to use them if they could just grab one along with their cartos or juice order.

However, I still don't trust the whole setup, even with the bag, enough to leave batts charging while I'm out of the house (and def not while sleeping). ((Probably never will, even with a better charger)).

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryNotVengence View Post
    i don't get it. over a year goes by since i've seen any posts about exploding mod batts and now i hear of 3 cases of mod batts blowing up in less than a month.

As for exploding egos, thats a fairly regular occurance, i've seen atleast 6 threads about it in 12 months.

maybe the mayans were right.
    As more people vape you will have more explosions, AW's are not safe they are safer.
    Shortstuff116, timothy and deach like this.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

IMO I believe because they are IMR batts, their voltage were below the low voltage threshold of 3.2V - attempting to charge a battery that has gone below the low voltage cut off (non existent in IMRs) is asking for trouble without the proper charger to do so.
    AttyPops likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenkobold View Post
    As more people vape you will have more explosions, AW's are not safe they are safer.
    Exactly. AW batteries go up too. (reference candelpowerforums). The more we keep pushing the envelope on these things the greater the odds.
    Switched likes this.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShogaNinja View Post

The scary part is that protection is even necessary for battery charging.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I think some of the problem here is people are using things they don't know safely how to use. (the batteries) I feel sorry for the OP and I'd hate to be in that situation. Veterans on this forum continue to recommend "huge" PVs to newbies and people take that to heart. Some don't ever read the battery threads, some are clueless to the proper handling technique of the batteries. I fully endorse whatever works for someone but I guess some people use these things are just lucky that they've not had things go wrong and get injured.

Please keep us posted as to what if anything you are able to find out. I'm glad your boss is ok.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

deach,

I concur with your post but do take exception to veterans recommending "huge" PVs. I will not deny that some do, but that is not the norm. A lot of the misinformation on this forum stems from newbies educating newbies. How long have I been preaching not to use LRs on eGo batts, yet now folks are using DCs

I went with the PILA charger. it was more expensive but from the reading i did i figured it was better than the cheapest out there.
    and was not as expensive as some of the hobby chargers i was pointed too at the time. so far so good.

I use AW IMR 16340's

I never leave bats in charger once they are charged.
    I never leave them unattended while charging.
    I transport my bats in a Plastic case made for that purpose.

I do aggree that we need to keep up with these incidents so we can learn from them.

Oh and Deach love that tower pic, you a Ham Radio Operator too?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast