Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 4.8v batteries in proVari?

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default 4.8v batteries in proVari?

Evening ladies and gents

Would it be safe to use 4.8v Ni-Mh batteries in proVari?

5V Ni-Mh 18650 600mAh Battery - Batteries / Adaptors - PV Parts

Thanks in advance, your time and effort is much appreciated

Vapor Fanatic Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

From the web site:

We recommend only using AW IMR high drain batteries in your ProVari.
    You must use batteries that have a positive button on the top. Flat top batteries will not work.
    While they don't say to use only Li-ion (Lithium Ion) batteries at 3.7 volts, that seems to be the standard. So to be safe, I would only use the recommended (AW IMR) batteries and I believe these batteries are only currently available in the 3.7v format.

ECF Veteran

First of all thanks a lot for your time and effort

That much I knew my self, I have and use li-mn IMR, I'm hoping to be able to use 4.8v such that I can achieve 4.8v x 2.5a = 12watt

Any1?

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Do not do it. The protection circuit in the Provari is designed to operate between 4.2 and 3.4 volts.if the Provari handles the higher voltage, great, but you're facing a dangerous situation by allowing the NiMh battery to fall too low before the low voltage cutoff of the Provari prevents use.

You can get 12W out of the Provari. You just have to provide the correct resistance and voltage. The Provari will supply 4.8V as long as the coil is above 2.5ohm
    killovicz and BuGlen like this.
    Vaping is like a penis or religion. It's OK to have one and enjoy it. Once you start shoving it at people, it's a problem.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiestyle View Post
    ...but you're facing a dangerous situation by allowing the NiMh battery to fall too low before the low voltage cutoff of the Provari prevents use...
    Thanks for pointing this out for me, I haven't thought of that But I'm almost 100% that there is a protection circuit on the batteries 'em self!

I can get aprox 11watt out of my proVari V1, even tho I'm not supposed to be able go above 9.2watt for the most of battery life! I was hoping to be able to pull at least 12 perhaps 13.5watt out of 4.8v, hmm :/

I have a cisco at 1.4ohm, that runs like a dream on 3.9v (10.86watt) I was hoping to be able to go up to 4.2v (12.6watt) with 4.8v batteries

Would 4.8volt batteries fry proVari, any1?
    Last edited by killovicz; 05-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.

ECF Veteran

Another point I might add is that I'm unsure if the NiMh batteries will provide the current to allow the Provari boost circuit to actually fire in the first place. The IMR is 8-10C. So, 4-5amps of current.

I think you'll damage an expensive mod by trying to work outside its parameters. The Provari circuit does what it's supposed to do as designed with the power needed/supplied by the recommended batteries. Just because you supply more volts does not mean the circuit is goin to provide more output.
    killovicz, TomCatt and BuGlen like this.
    Vaping is like a penis or religion. It's OK to have one and enjoy it. Once you start shoving it at people, it's a problem.

ECF Veteran

If you want to unload it or trade for something that provides higher amps, send me a PM. I have a Sabertouch VV w/HP (5amp) option. It will provide all the Watts you can handle and more. I've pushed 1.5ohm DCCs @ 6.5V. Way too hot, but I wanted to see if it would do it. Never again lol.
    killovicz and TomCatt like this.

ECF Veteran

First of all thanks a lot for your time and effort

no current limit on NiMh they can provide 3.2amps at least, and my vari have a limit of 2.5amp (or it's supposed to)

..and proVari with LiMn IMR is all I need when it comes to vaping nic, BUT I need just 1 watt more to be able to vape "herbs" on my proVari. As it is now I use 1.4ohm cisco on a cable-mod with a fully loaded LiMn IMR 4.2volt to vape "herbs". If I use the same solution on a proVari at 3.9volt the herbal extraction keeps piling up in the atty :/

It would be so convenient if a single mod could cover all my needs

PS. ilolite kill my taste buds

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

The long and the short is no.

The system (Provari) is designed to operate in a buck boost system supplied from a standard LI Mn 3.7V battery. Changing the source cell will not produce more watts but there is a good chance of frying the PCB in an attempt to get that extra watt, by supplying the board with too much current. Have you ever heard of a lighter?
    killovicz likes this.

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran Rocketman's Avatar

Sort of like "can I get more storage space on my 500MB external hard drive if I run it on 12v instead of 5v from the USB? Or will it just run faster?"
    TomCatt likes this.
    Rocketman,
    Proud Survivor of the Lightgeoduck @:46 Giveaway
    and if anything goes wrong BLAME ANGUS :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast