Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryedan
  • 1 Post By pmar4015

Thread: Question Regarding Safety of the UltraFire XSL 18350 12mAh 3.7v (orange)

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Question Regarding Safety of the UltraFire XSL 18350 12mAh 3.7v (orange)

Alas, I apparently did not research thoroughly enough the battery captioned in the title line above prior to my purchase. It seems that not only are the Ultrafire XSL 18350 batteries "unprotected" but they lack "safe chemistry" as well. I have attached the link to the exact product

Amazon.com: UltraFire 18350 3.7V 1200mAh Rechargeable Batteries Battery (Pair): Electronics

Therefore, I have a few questions regarding safety

1. Am I right in my understanding that the batteries are neither "unprotected" nor possesses "safe chemistry"?

2. Can the product be used in a safe manner in a Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage device?

3. Can the product be used in a safe manner in a mechanical mod using an atomizer with an ohm rating of say .7 - 2.5? I generally don't go below nor above the aforementioned range

Thanks a lot. I would hate to not use the batteries in the event it turns out there is nothing to worry about (above and beyond the standard safety issues any battery possesses.

2. Advertisement
    PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I believe you are correct pmar - no protection and not IMR. Here is a bit more info on them, if that is the correct battery.

The web page indicates they are unprotected. If they were IMR, or safe chemistry, I think they would call them IMR or 'high drain' and they do neither. If this is the case they are not suitable for use in any mod. Here is a good post on battery safety. An excerpt:

"We suggest the best option, in order, is:

1. AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeables.
    2. AW Li-FePo4 rechargeables [Li-FePo4's MUST HAVE A SPECIAL CHARGER]. Note that these batteries are mostly 3 volt nominal so the system voltage will be lower than normal.
    3. Good quality (such as AW or Pila) protected Li-ion rechargeables.
    4. Branded protected Li-ions come next - such as xxxfire Li-ion rechargeables (for xxx insert Trust / Sure / Ultra-).
    5. The least-preferable option is a generic protected Li-ion.
    6. Unprotected rechargeable Li-ion cells should not be used.
    7. Standard cells (non-rechargeable) should not be used."
    Vapoor eyes er and AttyPops like this.
    If you Tweet and have 2 extra minutes a day, you can do this. Look for the daily threads in General E-Smoking Discussion
    titled “Fight for Your Right to #Vape – Daily Action Plan” and Tweet for the cause.

ECF Veteran

Thanks Ryedan,

I shouldn't have assumed they were Safe Chemistry. Oh well, will have to buy a flashlight to put them in I guess
    Ryedan likes this.

Full Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

One of those flashlights with a cree chip are awesome. Great repurpose of a bad battery buy is to get a great flashlight out of the deal

ECF Veteran

How about if I use a fuse like (eg. The shortstop)? Safe to use the batteries in question then?

Thanks