How do you fix bad USB Pass Throughs? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you fix bad USB Pass Throughs?

Blog Entries

I'm just learning electronics... seems to be my new addiction in more ways than one. lol

the cord from my passthrough only had two wires... easy enough.
    the red being the positive or "supply" and the black is the negative "ground"

the diagram looks like this

-------------red wire-----------------------------------------usb

-----------cut black wire--------[switch]-------black wire---- usb

the red wire went straight to the original solder point in the center of the atomizer connector. no cutting.

the black wire needs to be cut. give yourself about the length of the tube or so and cut. strip the ends. tin them up.

solder the wire from the usb side to one leg of the switch.

the previously cut wire will be soldered in two places: the other leg of the switch, and the outside (already existing solder point) of the connector to your atomizer.

plug it in. push the switch. awesome vapor.

Hope that helps....
    Last edited by ZEKE; 03-06-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks for all the tips, I just got a pass-thru for my 901 form Puresmoker that was DOA but I might have a peek at it instead of sending it back if its that easy to fix.

Super Member ECF Veteran panderson01's Avatar

I took apart one of my dead soldiers and couldn't find any connection problems, maybe someone can tell?

Under the cap, there is some sort of wire clamp that appears to keep the wire from getting yanked out as seen in the first picture.

The second one shows the connection on the chip and all looks well on that too.

I will admit that I am pretty tough on these things. I usually have the battery pack in a pocket with the pen in the other, which leaves a looped wire hanging down to catch on everything. There has been numerous time where I was dragging my pen on the ground after the wire caught on something and ripped it out of my pocket. I have since put a small loop on both ends and taped it to alleviate any pressure on the ends when I rip it out of my pocket.

I'm on my 4th passthrough since January and have 2 more on the way. This is the most expensive part of my habit. If I can solve this, I would feel much better.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

Di
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Default curly cord

I broke the wire on mine, so I had some -
    curly cords with usb connectors made,
    they are great,
    heavy duty and lovely stetchy, no more tangles,
    looks just like a phone cord, only shiny silver,
    these cords will last forever.....
    I do have some good ideas sometimes .......

over the weekend I will get around to the tidyup, -
    shortening the original cord back to about 1 inch.

Di ......
    Last edited by Di; 05-25-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by panderson01 View Post
    I took apart one of my dead soldiers and couldn't find any connection problems, maybe someone can tell?

Under the cap, there is some sort of wire clamp that appears to keep the wire from getting yanked out as seen in the first picture.

The second one shows the connection on the chip and all looks well on that too.

I will admit that I am pretty tough on these things. I usually have the battery pack in a pocket with the pen in the other, which leaves a looped wire hanging down to catch on everything. There has been numerous time where I was dragging my pen on the ground after the wire caught on something and ripped it out of my pocket. I have since put a small loop on both ends and taped it to alleviate any pressure on the ends when I rip it out of my pocket.

I'm on my 4th passthrough since January and have 2 more on the way. This is the most expensive part of my habit. If I can solve this, I would feel much better.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

For me, it was the auto switch which failed on my puresmoker 901 passthrough. I've since made a few usb passthroughs myself with manual switches and I don't think I'll ever go back. I definitely recommend going that route.

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

This isn't boding well for my pending delivery. I wish I'd found this thread before placing the order. I haven't had a problem with the 901 pass-through I bought from Vapor Guys, and when I switched to a pen-style I immediately ordered this from Puresmoker.

If one wanted to build a pass-through from scratch, does anyone know what the resistance and power requirements are?

Full Member ECF Veteran

It's certainly frustrating that the e-cig hardware remains an inherently dicey business. I guess I got lucky, but I have to say I've been using a USB 901 passthrough from Puresmoker for the past five weeks without a problem. The orig. att died today, though. And when I say using, I mean all day at work, just flat-out waling on it! Abusively! I was surprised and pleased as to how it's held up. If the whole thing died today, I'd be saddened but I couldn't think I'd been ripped off by any means. My only quibble is that the vapor, while voluminous, wasn't quite as hot or "hitty" as some of my other devices. But the thing was definitely a useful and well-used trouper.

But am I making a recommendation? Oh, no, not in this game. Puresmoker doesn't make 'em, some assembly line in China does, and the next batch may have defective ones. I'd order another one though, knowing of course it's a bit of a roulette wheel spin...

Super Member ECF Veteran panderson01's Avatar

I tell you, with what I have spent on these things, I wouldn't mind paying someone twice that amount to make me one that would last.

I'm not an electronics guy, so I don't have the know how to do it, any takers????????????????

Super Member ECF Veteran

I tell you, with what I have spent on these things, I wouldn't mind paying someone twice that amount to make me one that would last.

I'm not an electronics guy, so I don't have the know how to do it, any takers????????????????

I'm with you 100%. I would certainly pay more for better products that last longer.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quick USB 901 passthru
    This lasts forever only three solder points, faster and easier than repairing.
    starfi5ve likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast