Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: How to make USB Passthrough?

  1. #1
    Moved On
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    68

    Default How to make USB Passthrough?

    Anyone out there know a link for a guide to building a USB passthrough? Bored waiting on replacement parts for my 510 so i want to turn this SE gold into something a bit more usefull. Thx in advance.

  2. #2
    Super Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rogersville, MO - USA
    Posts
    624

    Default

    This is one way to do it...

    And there are easy ways to do usb passthroughs via battery boxes, etc. just search in the modders forums

  3. #3
    Manufacturer - Supplier Offline ECF Veteran fonosmoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Regards,

    Pass-though is sort of a generic term for USB powered e-cig.

    If that's all you want, and personally I cannot fathom why anyone would want to put an expendable battery in the permanent USB powered mix, then...

    It couldn't be easier...

    take your spare USB cord, snip off whatever is on the wrong end, not the end you'll plug in.

    and strip the ends of the red and black wires to ready them for solder...

    Use a AA bat box, and fetch up a connector for your cartomizer or atty,

    a momentary switch,

    drill holes in the box for same, one for the USB cable too,

    and solder up the (traditional method) black wire to the outside of the connector, red wire to one side of the switch, from the other side of the switch you add another red wire---to the center pole of your cartomizer or atty connector...

    That's it... check for continuity and or short circuits, if it's good, you're good...

    Fire away...

    Do it, it's that simple...

    Love mine, even made a second one for my car; I just leave it in there with its lighter plug to USB adapter..

    mods are the fo-shizzle

    regards
    fo
    Last edited by fonosmoak; 09-15-2009 at 04:13 AM.

  4. #4
    Super Member ECF Veteran rbonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fonosmoak View Post
    Regards,

    Pass-though is sort of a generic term for USB powered e-cig.

    If that's all you want, and personally I cannot fathom why anyone would want to put an expendable battery in the permanent USB powered mix, then...

    It couldn't be easier...

    take your spare USB cord, snip off whatever is on the wrong end, not the end you'll plug in.

    and strip the ends of the red and black wires to ready them for solder...

    Use a AA bat box, and fetch up a connector for your cartomizer or atty,

    a momentary switch,

    drill holes in the box for same, one for the USB cable too,

    and solder up the (traditional method) black wire to the outside of the connector, red wire to one side of the switch, from the other side of the switch you add another red wire---to the center pole of your cartomizer or atty connector...

    That's it... check for continuity and or short circuits, if it's good, you're good...

    Fire away...

    Do it, it's that simple...

    Love mine, even made a second one for my car; I just leave it in there with its lighter plug to USB adapter..

    mods are the fo-shizzle

    regards
    fo
    fonosmoak;
    Using the 2 aa box from Nico stick "
    "Battery holder: 2 x AA Covered Battery Holder with On-Off Switch"

    Where would you wire black usb lead to use on/off switch, or could you?

  5. #5
    Manufacturer - Supplier Offline ECF Veteran fonosmoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Regards,


    you don't need the switch...

    You unplug it when you're done, or just take the cartomizer off..

    Right-on
    fo

  6. #6
    Super Member ECF Veteran rbonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
    Posts
    431

    Default usb passthru

    Quote Originally Posted by fonosmoak View Post
    Regards,


    you don't need the switch...

    You unplug it when you're done, or just take the cartomizer off..

    Right-on
    fo
    Sent you a pm but for the forum.. Did what you said on an old 2 aa box I had toasted making a Nico Stick, (1 of the 4 I toasted.... )
    Took a button I had as a spare.. wired old usb cable like you said and the bussiness end of a Janty usb charger, (which fits a 401 atty perfectly, just drilled some air holes in it), and it works like a charm!!!!
    Thanks for the info

  7. #7
    Manufacturer - Supplier Offline ECF Veteran fonosmoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    rbonie,

    Hey, my pleasure, that's what this place is all about----mostly wink...

    Right on, 5v. is pretty nice eh?

    Got-a love it.

    Regards
    fo

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    157

    Default

    I have 2 dropped dead 510 manual batts. I want to turn it into a 5v passthrough , is this possible? and how to do it? someone please help! Thanks

    Nick



  9. #9
    Manufacturer - Supplier Offline ECF Veteran fonosmoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nick76 View Post
    I have 2 dropped dead 510 manual batts. I want to turn it into a 5v passthrough , is this possible? and how to do it? someone please help! Thanks

    Nick


    Regards,

    The info is here many times over, getting the conector off your dead bat seems to be the biggest hurtle...

    I have no experience with 510s...

    See "build a NicoStick" for detailed directions, and just substitute the word USB wire for Battery wire, and act accordingly...

    Two wires, one red, one black same directions, different sources...

    USB could mean Used Same (as) Battery.

    Just bust-a move
    fo

  10. #10
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a mountain, looking over the valley of happy!
    Posts
    1,952
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    I am talking to my electrical guru today about a PT battery design using usb connections.
    I have the design idea just lacking the knowledge of actually doing it, thinking of a varible battery box idea 3.7, 5v, 6v rolled into one, like a 3 stage switch.

    Anyone have experience with usb and voltage tolerances?
    Is 6v possible without frying the USB connectons?

    I do know I will have to sacrifice a battery or some cherished parts for the mod attempt.. I do have plenty of usb materials floating around.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •