Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Can not find instructions for diy mechanical box mod

Default Can not find instructions for diy mechanical box mod

I use a 18650 Touchwood with vision vivi nova 95% of the time even though I own a Provari. I would like to make a mechanical box mod with no wires that has 510 connection and uses a single AW IMR 18650 battery. After a week of searching I have not found the info I need. Please help. No need for LED light since I'm use to not having it. Also are there any good switches that are non-clicky or a way to make one? Thanks for any help you my be able to give me.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Grab a screwdriver and take your touchwood apart, you'll find all you need to know about mechanical box mods. I can't think of a better example than what's in your hand already.

Thank you. But I take the Touchwood apart once a week to clean. New to diy and guess a little dense because I need detailed direction on how make these connections and parts list to use say a plastic case or tin box mod . I know I can get some of what I need from Mad Vapes , just do not have the wood working(boring battery size holes in solid block of wood) or others skills (like cutting brass plates for top and bottom) to make a copy of a Touchwood. Ok lets say I find something that's the right size for the body, what do I need for the insides and how do I put it together. In Dec. it will be 2 years since I quit smoking with the help of e-cigs and the advise I received for this site that helped me realize a mod and a larger battery were what I needed. Now I'd like the satisfaction that comes with being able to make my own mod. I've fixed a dryer, dishwasher and replaced power window regulator in my car by watching u-tube videos, so I should be able to make a mechanical mod, just need to see it done. Thanks to everyone for their help in the past, especially Hoosier.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Ah, ok, sorry tree. I don't know of any specific build tutorials for mechanicals. I know if you search 'box mod build tutorial' on YouTube you will come up with a few simple builds and some available kits, but they all have wires and switches I think.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Relayer1974 and WarHawk-AVG like this.

Provari Mini 2.5, Sentinel V3, KTS Storm, Vamo V2. Rocket RBA, Fogger V2, RSST, Anyvape Davide, DB Puritank, Protank

Thank you, guess next step is to invest in a soldering iron and ask my husband or handy neighbor for a few lessons. Believe me I have looked high and low for a tutorial for mechanical mods and yes I did see a few that had wires. Just can't believe with all the info out there I can not find what I'm looking for. --- The Touchwood as I understand it - on one side of the top brass plate is a button attached to a long pin(not sure if its welded or soldered together),the pin passes through a spring that sits on top of a small washer that sits on top of a plastic tube, when you press the button the pin goes through the washer into tube and makes contact with the end of a brass screw that is under the tube, because the screw is in the brass bottom plate that goes under the battery on the other side contact is made and the circuit is closed because over the battery is spring attached to a coin the size of a dime that is drilled with a threaded connecter and a nut on it to hold the spring, on the other side of coin is a post with short piece of plastic tubing on it that slides into the 510 connecter that is attached to the other side top brass plate. Did I get that right?

Can I use Aw IMR 18650 batteries in the Puck? Since I have 10 of these and half are new I'd like to be able to use them and it would make things easier since I use these in the Touchwood and ProVari. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sorry Darren that I took my frustration out on you earlier. Lets just say that my husband of 33 years is a saint and is usually able to iron out the kinks of my crazy ideas but he is not a vaper (he is happy I quit smoking) and bow season is open here.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

The Puck Mod is not a true mechanical mod. To be a true mechanical, there can be no wires and the Puck uses a wired 510 connector and an electrical switch.

The main problem with making a true mechanical is that, in my opinion, you need to have some skill. You need a metal body to act as your ground, a switch that contacts the negative side of the your battery and the body only when pressed, and direct contact between the positive side of your battery and the positive post of your 510 connector.

I don't have a touchwood, but looking at the pictures, it appears that the battery door makes contact with the negative side of the battery. Then between the screw in the bottom, the switch, and the top plate, contact is made with the negative side of the 510 connector.

However, if you don't care that it is a true mechanical and just want an unregulated mod, that would be incredibly easy to build and you don't need as much skill. All you really need to be able to do is solder a few wires together.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Azmo View Post
    The Puck Mod is not a true mechanical mod. To be a true mechanical, there can be no wires and the Puck uses a wired 510 connector and an electrical switch.
    To be mechanical it can have no circuitry. Mechanicals made of wood or plastic have to use use wire - or pieces of metal (which is all that makes up a piece of wire) which equate to the wire - to make contact between the poles. An "electrical" switch? Really? A push button is an "electrical switch" and the switch in the Puck Mod is, when you take it apart, (ahem) mechanical - no circuitry, with flat pieces of metal moving against each other to make contact.

Any side-button mechanical, such as a KTS Storm, where you don't physically press something into the battery to move it to make contact would, under your definition, not be a "true" mechanical, as the side button is just a larger version of that same "electrical switch" system.
    Relayer1974 likes this.

Provari Mini 2.5, Sentinel V3, KTS Storm, Vamo V2. Rocket RBA, Fogger V2, RSST, Anyvape Davide, DB Puritank, Protank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast