E-Cigarette Forum - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    Quote Originally Posted by PLANofMAN
    I'm not Dvap, but there has been some discussion about this. The long and short of it is that yes, you can get nicotine out of tomato plants, but it's not worth the effort when you can easily grow tobacco in your garden and just extract the nicotine from that.
    Speak for yourself! Here tobacco growing is strictly controlled, and you can't, legally, grow a couple of plants in your back yard.
    France (the "here") is very stingy with its' licenses for growing tobacco on a large scale, too. It is grown, but not very widely, and I've never seen a field of tobacco sitting beside the road, unfortunately
    • |
    Sundodger, I know that quite a few plants can be used as a source of nicotine, not just tobacco. I don't know, however, if they contain the same additional alkaloids needed for WTA.?????
    This would be interesting not only for extraction, but also from the legal point of view.
    At the moment the legal attacks on Vaping are pretty much International, and many countries want it classed as a tobacco product.
    What would it be classed as if the source of nicotine was another plant entirely, and the flavors of a synthetic origin?
    This must be posed as a question in the appropriate section, IMO.
    • |
    Better late than never, BUT...

FL, if you were a smoker, which is the logic presumption, how can you be allergic to alkaloids present in tobacco when you smoked it? This is just a question of curiosity, not at a critic. I just don't understand how you could have smoked ...
    • |
    Rather late (it's one of my bad habits, especially important since I stopped smoking, and hardly ever drink... ) to put it mildly, but if you still recuperate the posts on your blog, I must say you've done some super work, and fascinating writing.
    WTA, now available from 3 (as far as I know ,) online stores, has worked wonders for me, so just to put it in place, THANK YOU Dvap, for all your work on WTA.
    I started using it about 12moths ago, when I was chain vaping at 10 mls of more or less 18mg/ml and getting higher, with analog fag cravings, into the bargain. After a week with WTA I realised that this product, in which I had little faith TBH, had secretly reduced my consumtion to 3ml a day.
    Now, still a WTA lover, I use about 2ml a day at around 10mg/ml, DIY juice with unflavored WTA.
    I'm happy, healthier, and just wrote this as a "thank you" letter. As far as I'm concerned, you've done more than a lot of people for the Vapers of this ungrateful (politically viewed!) world.
    Let's just hope we can all legally use Ecigs as we choose, and WTA, in a couple of years! Or I'll be a Pirate Vaper, sure thing!
    • |
    Cheers, Dvap, although, with Summer coming, I have moved my Nicotine reserves into the fridge. It often gets well over 30C here (S France) and I feel happier with the nic preserved in a fridge, as there's a ban hovering over our heads in semi-permanence at the moment.
    I do hope I can look back at this post in a few years, PV in the hand, but as things go, it looks as if Vapers will become on par with drug users! LOL OMG what a world!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by adrkaushal
    20 ml in one night
    (sorry for you smileys, it didn't want yours and mine, so...)
    Wowee! I don't know if I could do that much.

But seriously, I find that I feel better since I dropped down to a couple of mls a day, than getting through ten or so a day. Also I was in to Evods, so I had to refill 6 or 7 times a day = hassle.
    As for the health side of WTA, I'm sure I'm better off with 2 or 3 mls a day of juice made with WTA nicotine (5% of WTA, 95% plain nicotine), than 4 or 5 times more with just nicotine, but at 15 or 20 mg/ml rather than 10mg/ml with WTA added.
    But I've given up, too, on calculating the health question. It suits me very well, and that's what counts for me
    • |
    Thanks to DVAP and his posts. I figured it out what was going on.
    Now I have a tank filled with my NET.
    I dont chain vape it. Just a few tokes in the morning to help me get a good BM.
    Then a few tokes at night to help me sleep.
    Sure beats 40 Analogues a day I was on.

Also found that my nic level and juice consumption has dropped drastically.
    One day we will be able to buy a pill which we pop and it will contain the alkaloids we need.

For me its like a light switch. One drop and I can feel the missing pieces of my brain pop back into action.
    If I cant vape for some reason i.e. work etc. Just put a drop on your tongue and your sorted.

​Thanks, I will try the NET way, maybe I can cut back some, like you,. As it is, I vape about 4 to 5ml of 24 mg's a day. I have only gotten a little queasy when I was trying out new juices.
    • |
    I call my NET the something missing juice.
    Also consider myself an addictive personality having being addicted to pretty much all the drugs on the face of the earth at one time. (30+ Years Clean now).

Am sure that all us types. Go thru the same issues.
    WHich is stop smoking.
    Then vape.
    Then up our nic to the point where we are getting physically sick from taking in so much nic.

Thanks to DVAP and his posts. I figured it out what was going on.
    Now I have a tank filled with my NET.
    I dont chain vape it. Just a few tokes in the morning to help me get a good BM.
    Then a few tokes at night to help me sleep.
    Sure beats 40 Analogues a day I was on.

Also found that my nic level and juice consumption has dropped drastically.
    One day we will be able to buy a pill which we pop and it will contain the alkaloids we need.

For me its like a light switch. One drop and I can feel the missing pieces of my brain pop back into action.
    If I cant vape for some reason i.e. work etc. Just put a drop on your tongue and your sorted.

Just use organic leaf when making the NET.
    Yes I do feel guilty that in effect its almost as good / bad as smoking.

You only try this if you are really really suffering. If your doing fine on nic. Consider your self lucky and dont even think about this.

Anybody who is 4+ months off. And still has absurdly strong urge to smoke. Even after taking your nic up to 36 MG. Would be a good candidate to try the NET / WTA route. Else its best avoided.

I can understand the tone of Guilt in Dvpas msg. Smoking WTA is not cool. And not something to be toyed with. It is no where as safe as just doing Nic.

Even if you do get on it. Try and cut your consumption down. i.e. wean your self off it slowly.
    • |
    I started smoking at 15, both parents smoked. In all my years of smoking, I never made it past 24 hours of no cigs. I never, really tried to quit, I was just fooling myself. I would get nervous if I only had 5 left, "where was the next pack coming from?". Now, after two years of vaping and saving over 1K, I find I treat vaping just like my cigs, "when can I vape next?". I use 24mg nic in a 50/50 PG/VG base. Addictive personalities like mine, ALWAYS, find ways to get what we need. If I go out to lunch with my boss, who doesn't know I vape, I chew nicotine gum, until I can get back to my vaping. In reading about WTA's I wondered if they would "take the edge off" my need to constantly vape? I believe I would still NEED nicotine in some form or another, gum or vape, it doesn't matter to me. My only other real addiction is gambling.
    • |
    But patches do work! It's called the placebo effect.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBeaker
    Exactly Dvap! I wish we could get some more University research working on this. WTA extractions I've made starting with 3 packs of cigaretts could yeald weeks worth of eliquid. I figured I would have smoked those 3 packs in a day and a half. And I'm not catching it on fire and inhaling the smoke. I don't vape the WTA I've made much. Just bioassay... and share what I've learned. I hope it may help someone stay off the cigaretts.
    Felicitations! But I must admit that I hope the WTA I use is made with 100% tobacco, Bio if I could choose. It really does keep my vaping in check, now 2-3ml a day at 9mg/ml, and cigarettes disgust me, as far as the taste goes.
    So, personally and from other WTA users, thank you for your work on it, and most of all, FOR SHARING your results

All the best

PS. It would be really useful to get another University research going, but I guess it's pretty hard to lance. I hope it will happen eventually...
    The WTA could be a real aid for the "lost cause" smokers, I know it helped me, and I'm a vape only woman now.
    Did you ever consider if smoking and the hard core smokers especially who can't stop, has anything to do with the so called "addictive personality", or the addiction to other substances, i.e. alcohol, tranquillizers, etc...a long etc ? I'm not that up on the parts of the brain that are affected by different addictions, but I've been told some are connected (and please correct me if this is wrong !) so if you're a hard drinker, or take a calment or three since G was a boy, smoking may be harder for you to stop than it would be if you "only" smoke.
    More University research independent of the Big P, or Big T, would be so invaluable, and help us to understand why Nic only doesn't work for every one.
    Although vaping is already much more successful than those useless (almost) patches and so on.
    • |
    I haven't read through this whole thread but I compare vaping to other abusive things I done throughout my whole life that have hurt myself and others.

Alcohol...I'm not puking, sleeping around, offending and hurting people physically and emotionally. Let along cursing God because he didn't do what I demanded!

Smoking cigarettes...Stinky, burn holes, coughing or coughing up crap and leaving a conversation because I need to go outside!

Drugs...all the above plus stealing
    Sex...all the above including hurting families
    Food..Vaping allows me to taste everything with out shoving it in my mouth (there was no pretty way to say that)

Above the rest! I thank and talk to God more now and thank him for giving me a way out! Expanding my social environment world wide and teaching me things I never knew about conduction, metals, glass and art! Peace vapers!
    • |
    Out Standing blogs Dvap, Very good and very infomitive. Thanks mano
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeIIII
    What no one talks about, at least that I've seen, is the fact that we are still putting potentially harmful things into our bodies, even with vaping. I don't know all of the pro's and con's on VG and PG, but I think we're all well aware that nicotine is basically a poison, and that by taking it in, regardless of its form, we are doing some kind of damage to our bodies over time. I don't have to worry so much with my lungs now, but the old ticker will still have issues down the road. I know this, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm still basically addicted to nicotine. If nothing else, I can say that I smell better, and as a result, I have received more social opportunities when I'm out and about...
    I can say that caffeine is basically a poison, and oxygen (while not a poison) is corrosive, in fact, there are many "healthy" things that we need to survive...but if taken in sufficient quantities are poisonous. Hemp seed is the most nutritious food source on the planet, but the plant that grows from them is a hallucinogen and a controlled substance.

Nicotine is a memory and thought process enhancer and it has been theorized that nicotine can counter some of the effects of Alzheimer's disease. On the other hand, perhaps you are right and my ingestion of nicotine will cause some negative health effects...

The studies done by the Swedes in their 20+ years of observing people who use snus (at much, much higher nicotine levels than most vapers) have convinced me that the nicotine levels we vape at are no more dangerous than the caffeine found in a cup of tea.
    • |
    No one has posted one of the easiest methods of extraction,and that is distallation!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat79
    SO if you wanted to extract nic from tobacco, what are your options or is it to technical to get in to?
    Without going into technical detail/advice I would mention methods I would use...

#1: Steam distillation of freebased tobacco -> extract from distillate with NPS(ether/dcm) -> strip solvent w/vacuum or evaporate -> quite pure alkaloids w/trace solvent -> purify with fractional distillation assisted with vacuum or recrystallize in some other manner.

#2: Standard A/B extraction or B/A extraction -> moderately pure alkaloids -> recrystallize/purify.
    Food safe A/B on tobacco, looks legit to me: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...on-method.html

#3: Solvent extraction -> nasty tar -> winterize (freeze precipitate fats with cold saturated ethanol+dry ice) -> less crude extract, very flavorful and delicious.
    Cold ethanol extraction: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...vironment.html
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundodger
    DVap, I know this might be crossing a line but, has there been any discussion using isomerization, using eggplant and tomato plants to get our nic, or is that the dangerous part? Just wondering with the FDA breathing down.
    this may have been covered elsewhere but I'm reading it here for *my* first time...THERE IS NICOTINE IN EGGPLANT AND TOMATOES???? Do you know how much? I'm truly hearing this for the first time in my, not short, life!! Wow!! <--- Shocked and amazed!!
    • |
    This is why good extraction procedure is a methodical skill.

If you want to extract 1 gram of tobacco realistically:

1: Lay out flat and pre-moisten/dampen to near saturated with water.
    2: Freeze and thaw, back and forth 2-3x for cell disruption. Or hit it once good with a vacuum.
    3: Extract once with 10 ml ethanol, pressing gently or better yet centrifuge, to recover majority.
    4: Extract again with 6 ml ethanol.
    5: Extract again with 4 ml ethanol.
    ... Diminishing returns... Optionally freeze precipitate plant oils/waxes for better purity... Add some dry ice if you want to be really fancy.
    6: Collect all 3 extracts most likely just under 20ml of solvent if the tobacco was adequately pre-moistened. (This is best case 1mg/ml, worthless until...)
    7: Evaporate down to xx mg,ml of concentrate. If you get total 60 mg it is 28%~33% pure, the rest is other tobacco/plant stuff.
    8: Dilute to a total of 2 ml of VG/PG for 10 mg/ml theoretical result. Most likely will be 85+% of this.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundodger
    DVap, I know this might be crossing a line but, has there been any discussion using isomerization, using eggplant and tomato plants to get our nic, or is that the dangerous part? Just wondering with the FDA breathing down.
    I'm not Dvap, but there has been some discussion about this. The long and short of it is that yes, you can get nicotine out of tomato plants, but it's not worth the effort when you can easily grow tobacco in your garden and just extract the nicotine from that.
    • |
    [QUOTE=GeorgeIIII;bt10060]Gotta say that I agree with you DVAP. You've hit on a point that's been stirring in my mind for awhile now. I'm new to vaping, only been off analogs for a couple of months. My body is still transitioning from being a smoker to a vaper. I'm only now learning of some of the possible side-effects.

Is vaping safe? Hmmm... I can't say with any certainty that it is. I can only tell you that, since I started vaping as an exclusive thing, and ditching the cigs (finally), that my body feels somewhat better. I breathe a bit easier than I once did, I seem to have a bit more pep in my step. Hasn't drastically changed my overall health, but it seems to have been a positive change nonetheless.

What no one talks about, at least that I've seen, is the fact that we are still putting potentially harmful things into our bodies, even with vaping. I don't know all of the pro's and con's on VG and PG, but I think we're all well aware that nicotine is basically a poison, and that by taking it in, regardless of its form, we are doing some kind of damage to our bodies over time. I don't have to worry so much with my lungs now, but the old ticker will still have issues down the road. I know this, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm still basically addicted to nicotine. If nothing else, I can say that I smell better, and as a result, I have received more social opportunities when I'm out and about.

Vaping is still young, relatively speaking. Scientists will continue to research the effects, politicians will continue to debate the social issues. Lobbyists will do as they always have, and the idea of vaping has become akin to smoking, so far as they're concerned.

All I can say, is that I treat vaping almost the same as smoking, with some exceptions. I don't vape around non-smokers, I try to avoid vaping in public places. Just basic etiquette and consideration is all. I've reached a point in my life where it will be difficult to extend my lifespan by simply giving up a bad habit. At the most, if I quit vaping now, I might get another decade. But since heart disease and so many cancers run on both sides of my family, I don't think it'll make much of a difference in the long run.

My best advice would be that, if vaping works for you, great! If not, well too bad. Try something different. We all have our vices besides. At least I don't have to worry about vaping too much and becoming intoxicated and then hitting someone with my car. My habit harms only me. There's no second-hand "smoke" to worry about anymore. Just harmless water vapor.

Anyway, just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Some people are allergic to PG, you'll know it fast enough if so. Otherwise, if you don't feel vaping is far better, just quit (it'll be hell for a week or so, but only a week or so). I find it really annoying that people will try to have it both ways - sure, it's your choice, vape or smoke or quit all; but don't say I choose vaping but then say probably it's just as bad ... Make up your mind !!

You remind me of Dvap in this regard - sitting on all sides of every fence, just because ...

I am not going over the differences yet again ... but I'll sya this - everyone is different, see what works for you. And pleeeeease avoid scare stories about things you cearly don't at all understand
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast