(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA
by, 06-19-2013 at 01:38 AM (29073 Views)
I'm not aware of any Beginner's Guide to RBA's. They are considered to be for more advanced vapors. I usually qualify that statement more specifically meaning RBA's should be reserved to those who:Originally Posted by Metalhed2434
- Have done their homework researching them. They are not plug-n-play easy, and require specific knowledge to be used safely. Intro into the World of Rebuildable Atomizers (RBAs)
- Have learned about battery types for RBA's, and know about battery safety in general. RBAs are more demanding on batteries, especially if sub ohm coils are used, and can easily push a battery beyond it's safe limit. Therefore it is extremely important to use a high quality high drain IMR battery that has adequate high amperage capacity for you particular needs. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?
- Have learned about mod safety features, and in particular for their specific mod. Vent holes and hot springs in mechanical mods only kick in once a battery has become hot & hard-shorted, but they may keep your mod from becoming a pipe bomb. Regulated mods have superior safety features built-in which will shut them down prior to a catastophic battery event should there be issues with the atomizer or battery, but can not do sub-ohm. Mechanical Mod Safe Useage Guide
- Have a multimeter and know how to use it. Coils must be checked for resistance before they are fired on a device, and re-checked periodically to ensure the resistance remains the same. This is even more important when using sub-ohm coils. MultiMeter Tutorial
- Have a working knowledge of ohm resistance and how it relates to voltage and battery amperage requirements. This is Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law for Dummies
- Don't mind tinkering with extremely tiny parts and have a high frustration tolerance.
- Have a dependable and reliable juice delivery device to fall back on when your RBA gets fussy.
- Don't plan to jump right into Sub-Ohm coils without prior RBA experience.
- Cloud Chasing is Dangerous
- How is Sub-Ohm Vaping Dangerous?
- Sub-Ohm Advisory
- PBusardo: Some Thoughts on Sub-Ohm Safety
Types of RBA's:
- RDA (rebuildable drip atomizer) - e-Liquid is dripped on cotton or silica wick; only a few drops of liquid is used for a few puffs, then more drops applied. Easiest first exposure to rebuildables.
- Genesis-style tank atomizer - e-liquid tank below the rebuilding deck; uses stainless steel mesh wick; position dependent, will leak if not held upright; requires using the "genny tilt" for adequate wicking as you are fighting gravity with this tank.
- Kayfun-style tank atomizer - e-liquid tank above the rebuilding deck; uses cotton or silica wick; not position dependent, uses negative pressure vacuum like a cartotank; much easier & better design than a Genesis-style RTA in my opinion.
There is a sub-forum here on ECF dedicated to RBA's with tons of information. Rebuildable Atomizer Systems
INFORMATION RESOURCES FOR NEW RBA USERS:
Useful supplies: ohm reader or digital multimeter; micro butane torch; metal tweezers; precision screwdriver set; Kanthal wire and wicking material.
How to Use Your Multimeter
Video on How to Use Your Multimeter
Ohm's Law Calculator
Steam Engine Calculators for amp limit, coil wrapping, & battery drain
battery & mod safety resource guides
Explanation of a hard short
Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected? - List of battery specs and amp ratings
Sub-Ohm Battery Chart
PBusardo's Guide to Batteries for RBA's
ECF's Rechargeable Batteries Recommendations for APV's
Mechanical Mod & Battery Safety Guide - YouTube Video
VapeSafe Mod Fuse and VapeSafe.com
recommended articles & tutorial videos
An Introduction to Rebuildables - YouTube
Basic MicroCoil Tutorial
Rebuildable Drip Atomizer specific guides:
IGO-W dual coil build with cotton wick
Tutorial for silica wicked IGO-L RBA: Taking the Scary Out of Rebuildable Atomizers - Spinfuel Magazine.
(Kayfun-style) RBA specific guides:
What Makes the Kayfun so Great?
Kayfun Lite Plus microcoil and cotton build YouTube tutorial
(Genesis-style) RBA specific guides
Carl Zen shows how to setup a Genesis-style RBA - great video tutorial
E-Human's blog on the AGA-T2
A PBusardo Review - The AGA-T(s) - Part 1 - The Review - YouTube
A PBusardo Review - The AGA-T(s) - Part 2 - Assembly & Building Tutorial - YouTube
Link to Micro Coils for RBA's
Sub-Ohm Vaping: Discussion, Safety, Battery Info, Warnings
Video Tutorial on Safer Sub-Ohm Vaping
Tutorial: Wire and Resistance for Rebuildables: Tutorial - Wire & Resistance for Rebuildables - YouTube