Hoosier's Flavoring Levels -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios - Blogs - E-Cigarette Forum
View RSS Feed

Hoosier

Hoosier's Flavoring Levels -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios

Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.
by , 01-11-2012 at 06:56 PM (16132 Views)
Disclaimer: Hoosier's DIY blogs are to only be read and understood by folks who have read all the sticky's in DIY E-Liquid and are based off of my experience with mixing my own juice for over a year.

Hoosier's levels of flavoring from too little to too much:
  1. Nothing (Did I forget to add the flavoring?)
  2. Something Odd (This does not taste like the flavor I put in there.)
  3. I Can Taste Something Kinda' Like It (I can detect the higher or spice notes, but not the actual taste)
  4. Hooo, It's There, but Real Light (Getting close now, let it steep before adding any more)
  5. Bingo (Duh, we have a juice)
  6. Hmmmm, That Is Close, But Has A "Je Ne Sais Pas" of Oddness (Dang didn't let it steep and I overshot)
  7. Kinda' Close, but the Perfumey/Chemically Kills It (Going into the too much realm here and may be due to ignoring the steep part of #4.)
  8. Whoo, Did I Forget to Put the Flavoring In? (Too much flavoring can actually make things impossible to taste.)
Note that the first tier and last tier are much alike, the only difference is the way the unvaped juice smells. If it smells fairly close, but has no flavor then it is usually too much. (Usually, not always as there are exceptions.)

Steeping means leaving the capped bottle out of sun light for a period of time to allow time for the components time to reach an entropic state. If you think steeping is something else, or don't know what an entropic state is, please talk to someone else about your issues. I have a closed mind on steeping and have not taught basic physics since my freshman classes when the professor gave up trying to counter my arguements and left the class to me.

Submit "Hoosier's Flavoring Levels  -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios" to Digg Submit "Hoosier's Flavoring Levels  -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios" to del.icio.us Submit "Hoosier's Flavoring Levels  -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hoosier's Flavoring Levels  -aka: A general DIY guide to Flavoring ratios" to Google

Tags: diy, flavoring
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Tona Aspsusa's Avatar
    Oh darn, I wish I had read this one hour earlier - or remembered the posts where you talk about too much flavour being the equal of too little.
    But at least it was nothing *I* did (except for being weird), I was testing a small amount of a commercial no-nic liquid, and while the smell at first was overpowering, it just didn't taste anything much at all. Should have remembered this and diluted it a bit and tested again. Instead I chucked it into my "let's see what this becomes" bottle (together with the slops of a previous experiment, which I thought was a bit similar).
    thetechshack and gary donahue like this.
  2. Str8V8ping's Avatar
    Iv been following your chart above since i started diy'ing and it was a big help .I was always over flavoring . I wouldnt have kept up diy'ing if it werent for this flavoring chart . Thanks for Bloggin for us .Its great to have all your info in one place . Its amusing reading what you say as well . FUnny and informative go together great !

    Next up : making juices with multiple flavorings Got that one bookmarked already .
    ToweKnee and Hoosier like this.
    Updated 02-21-2012 at 10:11 PM by Str8V8ping
  3. Hoosier's Avatar
    Yep, Tona, it is sometimes difficult for people to grasp #8, I know I had issues with the concept, but it is what it is. (Some folks have had great luck with their slop bottles, but not me.)

    Str8, seriously? My process for getting mulitple flavoring blends right can be confusing to follow and I'm not sure I can get it layed out well while typing on my phone. I'm thinkin' more along the lines of equipment in the near future...
  4. minigoat's Avatar
    What is the chart that is referenced in str8's comment?

    Looking forward to the multiple flavorings too. That and I wish someone would have told me to purchase little glass bottles, lots of them. I ran out of vodka trying to clean the plastic ones and I can still smell what was in them. Tried gin and that helped but not completely. I refuse to open the bookers for this. I must sound like an alcoholic, honest I only drink once or twice a year, and only after notifying the police dept.
    bckane, mzlynnem, Hoosier and 3 others like this.
  5. Hoosier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minigoat
    What is the chart that is referenced in str8's comment?
    The chart in the blog post you commented on. I've done it a few times in response to threads in the DIY sub and thought having it on an easy-to-link-to-and-find spot like a blog would save me some typing and time remembering how I phrased things. Also Str8's search skill set is fairly weak and could end up referencing it and not know how to find if I didn't do this.

    So I did it to help the DIY Guru and because I'm lazy. At least that is how I just read this post. And that just seems...hmmm...what is the word?
  6. Running Wolf's Avatar
    Once again your idea (from the other blog entry) about taking notes comes in handy with this aspect. Since the too much flavor and too little can mimic each other it's good to be able to go back and check your notes.

    DIY reminds me of the physics on the early 20th century. Einstein sent letters to Eddington and they learned from each other. To know what works for someone else, and to know the mistakes some one else has made helps us perfect our own formulas.
  7. hubseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8V8ping
    Iv been following your chart here since i started diy'ing and it was a big help .I was always overflavoring . I wouldnt have kept up diy;ing if it werent for this chart . Thanks for Blogger for us .Its great to have all your info in one place . Its amusing reading what you say as well . FUnny and informative go together great !

    Next up : making juices with multiple flavorings Got that one bookmarked already .
    Where can I find this chart? Thanks.
    Hoosier likes this.
  8. Str8V8ping's Avatar
    lol ,The chart is the one above that we are posting about guys . lol The 8 step over flavoring chart.
    Hoosier likes this.
  9. Paislia's Avatar
    Hmmm, just read this again and somehow the first 4 times failed to commit #7 to conscious awareness. I've been blaming the flavorings or the vendor using unnamed "additives" for chemical tastes!! Not to say those COULDN'T be a factor, but I now have #7 firmly on the radar and will add a few drops more base before writing off a flavoring. Thanks for putting it over here!!
  10. BuddyGoodness's Avatar
    Does steeping only really work for tobacco flavors? I usually make my stuff right away and start using it. Sometimes it seems like the flavor gets weaker with time (mix 30ml at a time, last about 4-6 days). Can't tell if I just go desensitized to it or what. I have tried making several bottles in advance and sometimes it seems like I don't have enough flavoring in the juices that sit there a while.
  11. Hoosier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyGoodness
    Does steeping only really work for tobacco flavors? I usually make my stuff right away and start using it. Sometimes it seems like the flavor gets weaker with time (mix 30ml at a time, last about 4-6 days). Can't tell if I just go desensitized to it or what. I have tried making several bottles in advance and sometimes it seems like I don't have enough flavoring in the juices that sit there a while.
    No, I have not done a tobacco specific flavoring chart yet. It is different. Steeping doesn't always have an effect, but the notes on step 4 covers that.

    Sounds like you are using forgiving flavoring that skips step 7 or you are using very cheap plastic bottles that are leeching, but bad plastic usually gives a soapy background flavor too.

    If you only use a single flavor for a long period of time, then it is also possible to become desensitized to it. (Some folks never have this issue, but I do.)
    Uma, Mowgli, WileECoyote and 1 others like this.
  12. 48lowes's Avatar
    Nice simple guide with good advice.
    thanks Hoosier
  13. dallas274's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Hoosier;bt4769]No, I have not done a tobacco specific flavoring chart yet. It is different. Steeping doesn't always have an effect, but the notes on step 4 covers that.

    Sounds like you are using forgiving flavoring that skips step 7 or you are using very cheap plastic bottles that are leeching, but bad plastic usually gives a soapy background flavor too.

    If you only use a single flavor for a long period of time, then it is also possible to become desensitized to it. (Some folks never have this issue, but I do.)[/QUOTE]


    Where do you suggest getting bottles from?
  14. Hoosier's Avatar
    I'm not good at suggesting, bottles or whatnot, I can only say what I use and like.

    I use the dropper bottles from Candle Chem mostly. I've also got a collection of glass dropper bottles from a wide range of sources and can't really say I like one over the other except the bottles that use to hold Halo juice are really nice. (if you know a Halo vaper, get friendly and see if you can get their empty 30ml bottles)
  15. Mowgli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf
    Once again your idea (from the other blog entry) about taking notes comes in handy with this aspect. Since the too much flavor and too little can mimic each other it's good to be able to go back and check your notes.

    DIY reminds me of the physics on the early 20th century. Einstein sent letters to Eddington and they learned from each other. To know what works for someone else, and to know the mistakes some one else has made helps us perfect our own formulas.
    A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from others' mistakes
    Hoosier and Mrscorbin24 like this.
  16. snout71's Avatar
    so steeping my liquids in the airing cupboard with the lids on is not good then?

    should i take the lids off? or should i move them to the sunlight?

    what are your thoughts on ultrasonic cleaners doing the job?

    sorry but i am new to all this
  17. Hoosier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snout71
    so steeping my liquids in the airing cupboard with the lids on is not good then?
    Seems like a valid way to do it to me. I use a drawer or basket, but a cabinet is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by snout71
    should i take the lids off? or should i move them to the sunlight?
    I only have one recipe that gets better with airing-out, or Breathe, but a number that are better if left alone with the cap on for awhile. Never had a mix get better in sunlight, but I do have some that won't get worse in sunlight. (As in some that will get nasty if in the sun too long)

    Quote Originally Posted by snout71
    what are your thoughts on ultrasonic cleaners doing the job?
    As long as it doesn't get too hot, seems like it would help some.

    Quote Originally Posted by snout71
    sorry but i am new to all this
    Don't be sorry, everybody was new to mixing before they started mixing.
    BigBadKahuna likes this.
  18. VegasVaap's Avatar
    Very helpful stuff. I'm new to mixing and vaping. Love it so far. Using recipes found on the site, then I might tweak 'em a little. I have bought some premade that I thought was nectar of the gods type stuff. Any ideas on how to deduce a recipe? Or is it just trial an error? A local shop sells a "Wise Guy" flavor. It's RY4 based, I just need to know what else to compliment it. Haven't a clue yet. And thanks for sharing your experiences.
  19. Hoosier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVaap
    Very helpful stuff. I'm new to mixing and vaping. Love it so far. Using recipes found on the site, then I might tweak 'em a little. I have bought some premade that I thought was nectar of the gods type stuff. Any ideas on how to deduce a recipe? Or is it just trial an error? A local shop sells a "Wise Guy" flavor. It's RY4 based, I just need to know what else to compliment it. Haven't a clue yet. And thanks for sharing your experiences.
    It's pretty much trial and error that is accelerated by experience. It isn't too difficult to deduce the 11 herbs and spices of KFC chicken for an experienced cook. It'd take years of trial and error for a 5 year old child to deduce the same thing. The odd thing is that the 5 year old might come up with something even better than the original because they are less afraid of experimenting with unusual combinations. (By the same token they are likely to come up with some perfectly horrible combinations too.)

    Don't know how you want to compliment an RY4. Look at tobacco flavorings if you want to up the tobacco notes. Look at caramel flavorings if you want to increase the caramel. Look at marshmallow, EM, and sweeteners if you're looking to sweeten it. Look at watermelon if you want to add a light flavored fruit to it. Look at banana if you want to add a heavy flavored fruit to it.....as you can see, the list is really endless.

    Just try whatever seems likely and then try stuff that seems unlikely. Have fun. Be creative. Make something original.
  20. thetechshack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tona Aspsusa
    Oh darn, I wish I had read this one hour earlier - or remembered the posts where you talk about too much flavour being the equal of too little.
    But at least it was nothing *I* did (except for being weird), I was testing a small amount of a commercial no-nic liquid, and while the smell at first was overpowering, it just didn't taste anything much at all. Should have remembered this and diluted it a bit and tested again. Instead I chucked it into my "let's see what this becomes" bottle (together with the slops of a previous experiment, which I thought was a bit similar).
    I have the same bottle - I call the Spitoon Bucket. HaHa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast