Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Message from Bill Godshall of Smokefree Pennsylvania

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    FANTASTIC!!!! The more I hear about people being helped by these devices the more encouraged I become. I was just chatting with a friend in LA that said our chat could be used as a marketing ad and I agreed. I preach the health benefits to everyone I know that use cigarettes or cigars as a nicotine delivery system. These are SO much better. If the government, which I helped to elect, bans these I will be very disappointed. I'm hoping cooler heads will prevail. we'll just have to wait and see. either way I'm not going back to analogs!
    It's amazing what you hear. My mother hasn't had a cigarette in over a month. Wait, didn't you hear what I said. MY MOTHER for crying out loud! She's been smoking for about 50 years! Yes, I do remember her trying hynoisis and some weird shots in the face (it was the 80's you know). The patch, the gum, and the pills. Don't take it the wrong way, but she really never had the determination or willpower to quit. And now she's cigarette free.

My work will give let you get the patch and the pills for FREE! Isn't that awesome! They started that about two and a half years ago because they really care about lowering health costs...I mean...care about their employees. I think that's great. Um...as soon as I hear about anyone it worked for, I'll post it right here! The smokers on my team spent their own money on e-cigs when they saw me using one. Every one of them is now tobacco free.

It works. Get it.

--Prof Daffy

Super Member ECF Veteran

Excellent! I hope you've "bought" a few more years to enjoy.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Saw this statement from Lautenberg after the FDA release-

LAUTENBERG STATEMENT ON NEW FDA REPORT REGARDING PUBLIC HEALTH RISKS OF E-CIGARETTES
    WASHINGTON, DC - Senator Frank R. Lautenberg today released the following statement on a new Food and Drug Administration report regarding potential public health risks of e-cigarettes.
    "This report proves what we feared - that e-cigarettes may be unsafe and need to be taken off the market immediately. Not only can these products fuel a life-long addiction to nicotine, but now the FDA has found that they contain cancer-causing chemicals. The research revealed by the FDA today is a wake-up call that we must be more vigilant in protecting Americans from this new public health concern."
    Sen. Lautenberg, one of the Senate's leaders in protecting Americans from the dangers of smoking, was the first to call on the FDA to protect the public from potential dangers of e-cigarettes. He wrote a letter to FDA Acting Commissions Frank Torti in March 2009.

MICHAEL PAGAN can be reached via email at [email protected].

I immediately followed up with an email on my own situation. I think he need to hear from a lot of us.

Mike,

How can you work for such a closed minded individual! This FDA "study" did little to indicate the value or lack of value to PV devices (personal vaporizers as opposed to E Cigs). No mention was made as to where the FDA obtained the 18 samples. They supposedly found Diethylene glycol in 1 of the 18 samples (sounds like quality control issues. They supposedly found certain tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are human carcinogens, in half the samples- with no notation as to whether there was more or less than you'd find in traditional cigarettes. They also found a few other tobacco specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans, but not proved and again not compared to traditional cigarettes.

Off this very crude investigation, Mr Lautenberg is demanding that the product be removed from the market. How about an exhaustive study comparing tradtional cigarettes which we know to be quite harmful both to the user and to those the receive second hand smoke from those cigarettes to these nicotine delivering devices.

If they are not "safe" but safer than traditional cigarettes, I'd like to see Mr Lautenber demand to immediately take traditional cigarettes off the market in favor of this newer product. Of course that is not going to happen because it attacks the fabric of some of our great traditions- the tobacco industry, the Pharma industry and our tax structure.

I find it hard to believe that this method of feeding the nicotine habit isn't safer than the one I've had for some 40 years. I've only a week experience with these new products, but my anecdotal experience has me very strong on the side of these newer products. I have gone the full gamut of trying to quit over the years from gum to patches, to drugs to hypnosis- none of which had any lasting effect. The only thing that happened was that every time I tried to quit and lost I smoked more. At last count I was over two packs a day and counting. What was worse is when the government decided to add the FSC flame retardant to cigarettes and whatever additional chemicals were added. I couldn't stop coughing.

I bought four packs of cigarettes last Friday waiting for my PV order to come in. It arrived on Saturday and I opened it and started using it around 3PM on Saturday. I had already finished one pack and half way through a second. It's now five days later and I've only smoked 10 cigarettes as opposed to the 200 that I would have had over that period. With the PV I don't need to sit there and finish the cigarette, a couple hits and I'm done. I have stopped the coughing, I feel better and I breath easier.

I bought a medium level nicotine and am sure that I shall reduce that level on my next order if closed minded people like Mr Lautenberg don't shut the door. I didn't buy these things as a stop smoking product, but I certainly see the potential after a week.

Thanks for the post Bill!

Full Member ECF Veteran

While this is all fine and dandy and not a bad idea, maybe we should also let these "regulators" know that we are going to continue vaping these electronic products whether they "approve" them or not. One way or the other they will not stop the free will of the people.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ads1969 View Post
    Here in Queensland, Australia, e-ciggs have been branded a method of "regulated poison" as per the nicotine content. Thus resulting in an outright ban on use as well as even posession. So now I am a criminal.
    Damn, im sure glad I dont live "down under". Sounds like your government has some serious "control" issues. Maybe they need a slap upside their heads.

Moved On ECF Veteran

Here in Queensland, Australia, e-ciggs have been branded a method of "regulated poison" as per the nicotine content. Thus resulting in an outright ban on use as well as even posession. So now I am a criminal.
    This is bs! How can they do that? Do they have brain??

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Drewsworld's Avatar

Trying to post this around so people that hear it....I was thrilled ....Thanks Bill...
    Drew

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...TITLE=Up_Front

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Actually in Australia I believe the ban is on importation with the intent to sell. For personal use you are not considered a criminal.
    Sent from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

Super Member ECF Veteran jpargana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kinabaloo View Post
    I'm with Jamie on this. How will this affect the status of vaping if it's pooled with tobacco like that. Far from convinced that this is a good idea. Perhaps this is a trap.
    Yes. It IS a trap!!

Here's what happened in Europe: on the past 08th November, they tried to medicalize the e-cig (Can you imagine, non-alchoolic beer having to meet pharma regulations to be on the market (as a therapeutic aid to fight/prevent alchool abuse), while regular beer keeps being sold as a consumer product, having to meet quality standards of a consumer product, only ?)
    Yes, that has been tried. It would have been a de-facto ban. Our ELECTED MEP's voted against that. Then, the UNELECTED pharma and tobacco lobbysts started doing what they do best: scheming and manipulating politics behind closed doors, as if we, the VOTERS, had no right to know about the 'negotiations' that will affect our lives...!

Now, the e-cig is to be lumped in the new Tobacco Producs Directive... that means irrational limits to nicotine levels AND e-liquid volume in a single cartdridge, NO refillables (only sealed ones, 'for the security of the children'), only those flavours already used in other NRT's - EXCEPT for those that 'might be appealing to children' (BP will, however, be able to keep selling those same flavours), no MOD's, not even Ego's. Only cig-alikes - the ones that are most likely to FAIL new vapers.

Worst: not even ALL cig-alikes would be permitted. 'Security' standards would be so irrationally high, that for all practical purposes, only those cig-alikes Big Tobacco is about to sell would be permitted! If you look closely at the proposed legislation, and then at what BT is about to sell, one must wonder if this proposal was not drafted specifically to deliver the 'normalized' e-cig market, on a silver platter, direcly to the hands of BT !!

That has been our war here in Europe: first, to keep the e-cig out of BP's hands (it is NOT a medicine, it is an alternative, much like non-alchoolic beer), and now, to keep the e-cig out of the TPD, because it is NOT a 'tobacco product'. It MAY have nicotine in it (NRT's ALWAYS have nicotine, but are not a 'tobacco products'), and it does NOT have the negative health risks associated with tobacco (Allegedly, those risks were behind the stricter tobacco regulation when compared to consumer products).

NO, WE DO NOT WANT E-CIGS PAIRED WITH TOBACCO!! Nor with medicines, for that matter. Our fight here has been to make legislators regulate the e-cig in it's proper class: a consumer product, properly regulated by quality and safety standards already in place for that kind of products. When those fear-mongering nay-sayers tell us that the e-cig 'is not regulated', they're lying: IT ALREADY IS. What they're trying to accomplish, is a de-facto ban by demanding that it should be further regulated, when there is ample evidence that further regulation is NOT necessary, when you look at the relative risk involved.
    Anjaffm and Fulgurant like this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast