Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: List of Government Officials, Agencies and Organizations to send our letters of concern

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    so why wouldn't he be honest about this?

~~Cheryl
    do not be so sure.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kr0nicle View Post
    do not be so sure.
    His every move is tracked, chronicled, and analyzed, down to where he takes his wife for dinner. If he were still smoking, you can bet it would be leaked! But I sure hope someone turns him on to e-cigs. I'll be the first volunteer.

~~Cheryl

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Lets keep this thread on track. No more OT please.

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

If you haven't done so yet, in the next week please contact Senate HELP Cmte members (contact info posted on the first page of this this thread) and urge them to "amend the Kennedy FDA tobacco bill to allow e-cigarettes and other smokefree tobacco/nicotine products to remain on the market and to be reasonably and responsibly regulated as a separate category of tobacco products."

This afternoon, the Senate HELP Cmte scheduled a markup session on Kennedy's yet-to-be introduced FDA tobacco bill for next Tuesday. Here's the notice.

Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 1:40 PM
    To:
    Subject: 05122009 Executive Session Notice

EXECUTIVE SESSION NOTICE

To: All Committee Members
    Subject: The following Agenda to be Considered
    Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009
    Time: 2:30 P.M.
    Place: 430 Dirksen Senate Office Building

AGENDA

1. S. ______, Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act
    2. Any nominations cleared for action

Joseph R. Kolinski
    Chief Clerk

May 5, 2009

Joe Kolinski
    Chief Clerk
    Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
    202-224-3656

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Here is what I emailed to President Obama:

PLEASE DON'T FORCE ME TO START SMOKING AGAIN.

I have Attention Deficit Disorder. I am 63 years old and have pre-hypertension. Therefore I cannot take the only FDA-approved drugs to treat ADD (amphetamines). Nicotine keeps my brain functioning so that I can lead a normal life.

Now that the FDA has blocked shipments, when my electronic cigarette's nicotine cartridges run out, I will have to choose between being dysfunctional or smoking tobacco. I don't want to start wheezing and coughing up phlegm again, but I can't stand being unable to drive a car, read, or work. Please don't allow the FDA to do this to me!

Part of the FDA mission is to protect public health. If the FDA has proof that it is SAFER for me to smoke cigarettes, they must publish that proof. If they DON'T KNOW, then please make them get out of the way and let me control my own health. I suspect that if inhaling nicotine vapor were more dangerous than smoking, users of the FDA-approved Nicotrol inhaler would be dying at a faster rate than continuing smokers.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Godshall View Post
    reasonably and responsibly regulated as a separate category of tobacco products
    ?
    If they succeed in regulating them at all, won't that automatically subject e-cigs to the whole testing/stalling process? Shouldn't we specify that e-cigs not be banned or confiscated during the verification process?

Think about how backward this is from our judicial system. In that, a suspect is innocent until proven guilty; with the FDA, it seems everything is hazardous until proven safe. Don't they know it's impossible to prove a negative? You can't prove that ANYTHING will never result in harm to anybody -- people have OD'ed on plain water, for cryin' out loud!

Please clarify before I write/call -- again. I want to be sure to say the right thing!

Thanks,

~~Cheryl

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Per LuckyCharm's inquiry, Waxman's FDA tobacco bill (HR 1256) contains a 4 year moratorium for small companies to compy with many of the regulations.

Last year, Waxman agreed to this side deal with small tobacco companies (in exchange for their endorsement of the bill), which correctly complained that the legislation would otherwise drive them out of business because it would cost them far more (per package of tobacco) to comply with the regulations than it would cost high volume companies like PM, Reynolds and Lorillard.

While this four year moratorium for small companies is not likely to be in Kennedy's bill, it will be in the final version of the legislation.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Waxman's FDA tobacco bill (HR 1256) contains a 4 year moratorium for small companies to compy with many of the regulations.
    So, no matter what happens, we get a pass for at least 4 years? Will that also keep shipments from being confiscated by customs?

While this four year moratorium for small companies is not likely to be in Kennedy's bill, it will be in the final version of the legislation.
    If that's a "for sure," it's a bit of comfort, anyway. Thanks Bill!

~~Cheryl

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Nothing is "for sure" in Congress, but I'd give it a 99% likelihood. But we still need to get e-cigarettes amended into Kennedy's bill, or the 4 year moratorium won't matter.

Super Member ECF Veteran

But we still need to get e-cigarettes amended into Kennedy's bill, or the 4 year moratorium won't matter.
    Okay, so who exactly do we need to contact? Our own legislators? Ted Kennedy? Some committee?

I would do all, but don't want to start spamming everybody and alienating them.

Thanks,

~~Cheryl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast