Vape in Public - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Vape in Public

Discussions are often entertaining and fun talking about ideas
    we come up with to promote the movement.
    However, if no one at least runs a test ...
    then what we do here is just social entertainment

E-smoking Welcome Here - Restaurants Bars ETC
    CLICK HERE
    NatashaR likes this.
    So, if we lie to the government, its a Felony.
    But if they lie to us ... it's Politics.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Pittsburgh has a large population who smokes. No one even gives me a second look outdoors. And I'm self-centered, but not enough so to think everyone's on the lookout. No one really cares. And if I feel the need to vape in some public, enclosed area, I either wait...or do so discretely. Hold it in a few seconds longer than normal. Almost no vapor on the exhale. I assume no one wants to see a cloud of vapor going by, so I blow it toward the floor. I feel this is polite, and will help to not give vaping a bad name. People doing it willy-nilly will ruin it for everyone. If I'm asked not to (happened once), I said "okay" and pocketed it, and didn't return to that place of business. It's their right to ask I don't, and my right to go elsewhere.

If anyone asks, I tell them what I'm using, and fwd a shopping list I've typed up. I've converted around a dozen people to it.
    Last edited by Yinzer; 12-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Petej's Avatar

I vape in public whenever I am out and about.... I see vapers all the time in public where I live too.

Quote Originally Posted by Petej View Post
    I vape in public whenever I am out and about.... I see vapers all the time in public where I live too.
    You see vapers all the time in public where you live ?? ... And you live in the state of Washington !!
    You're the first member I've heard of reporting its a common place seeing vapers out there vaping in public.

Since vaping in public is so common in your area ....
    There must be several restaurants, bars, ETC which permit vaping

Are you familiar with and restaurants, bars, fun public meeting places in your area that welcome e-smokers ??
    If so, please contribute to the thread on the E-cigarettes in Public forum.
    E-smoking Welcome Here - Restaurants, Bars, ETC... CLICK HERE

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by StereoDreamer View Post
    Please show me ONE SINGLE instance where ANYONE in the USA has been arrested for using such a device with illicit substances. Or better yet, give me one reliable news story or even a credible account from a forum where a legitimate Vaper was harrassed by LEOs for "Open Vaping" because they thought he/she was using it for something illegal.
    Ok here's an "almost" for you. Please note that I vape openly/publicly all the time and these accounts have not changed that, but you asked for an example

I was in Pittsburgh to see Roger Waters performing The Wall back in September 2010. During the show (in a non-smoking arena) I was vaping happily away. Unfortunately one of my puffs was ill-timed - as I exhaled, a strong green odor from another concert-goer somewhere around me came wafting by. Within moments, I was in the spotlight of several security people shining flashlights on me then pulling me out of my seat and out into the hallway. They proceeded to accuse me of being the source of the illicit odor and brought a cop up to arrest me. I calmly showed them my APV, explained what it was, how it worked, and gave them the whole spiel. Fortunately, everyone saw reason, apologized, and let me return to my seat, but it was still an annoyance that caused me to miss 10 minutes of the show.

As another example, I play about 100 shows a year in a regional pop band. I've built a foot-controlled mic-stand-mounted APV for hands-free rocking/vaping during our sets, and also use my normal APV during breaks. Almost every single show, at least one person will come up to me and ask me for a "hit" or some variation of that line of questioning. When I tell them it's an APV and that it only has nicotine and water vapor, they usually get disappointed, say "oh, I thought it was something else," and walk away. Every once in a while they're interested in learning more, and I take the opportunity to evangelize, but that's pretty rare.

Now like I said, these experiences have not changed my open-vape policy, even though it IS illegal to vape in public buildings here in Cattaraugus County NY (anywhere it's not OK to smoke, it's also not OK to vape. I observe the rules even though I fought hard against them when they were proposed, but anywhere that it's allowed, I vape.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Petej's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Petrodus View Post
    You see vapers all the time in public where you live ?? ... And you live in the state of Washington !!
    You're the first member I've heard of reporting its a common place seeing vapers out there vaping in public.

Are you familiar with and restaurants, bars, fun public meeting places in your area that welcome e-smokers ??

I live near Downtown B'Ham where there a lot (I meant A LOT) of bars and restaurants. I commonly see people vaping out front of them and while walking around downtown. We have the www.ecigexpress.com store downtown as well, where you can vape inside the store freely. For the restaurants and bars, you do need to ask the bartender or staff if it's OK to vape inside, most say yes, very willingly.

I also have a small following at work that vape as well, though, the safety guru's at work tell us we cannot vape inside.

Senior Member ECF Veteran BoiseMike's Avatar

Jim, the owner of our local shop here (Vapoligy), has setup the site here: BOISE VAPERS . He activeley pursues getting local establishments on board and will give them a window sticker if they'd like. It's not exactly taking off, but it's a start. A good idea I think.
    BoiseMike

Unregistered Supplier Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

I just did a search for vaping in public and I found this thread. I read the first 10 posts, skimming, and here we are.
    What a great idea! I am so sick of hearing all this talk of "stealth vaping". Every new mod that's being demo'd, they are like"look how it disappears in your hand".
    I vape openly, everywhere all the time. Mostly for the topic of this thread. Also because I am constantly drawing attention and sparking conversation about "what the hell do you think you are doing?", and I wish I met someone vaping 3 yrs before I did.
    Today I was in Red Robin in Clearwater, its a high end burger joint attached to the mall. We go there weekly. I vape openly all the time with like a GGTS with a full size Ody on it. Not a small device by any means, in fact one of the largest. I have never been questioned in this particular joint ever. Today was about the 15th visit in as many weeks. Finally an employee sat in the empty seat next to my wife and father and was like "umm, oh that's one of those things". She goes on to say that I 'm not sure that you can do that in here. So I told her "who I am" meaning the amount of $ I spend in there. She continued basically all in the same breath to say "I am going to find out, but for now please go right ahead". She was very intrigued at the device and how it in no way resembled a cigarette, and ended up taking my email address because she said her husband would for sure give it a shot, but in no way would he use an analogue look-a-like. She said because mine looked so "bad .....", he would def use it.
    This is a rare case where I gave a stranger my email instead of directing them to here.

I am all for getting the masses to "come out". I am always replying back when I see a post to the effect of "I never vape anywhere I wouldn't of smoked". Enough of that mentality.

Unregistered Supplier Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Petrodus View Post

I read a post 2 days ago where the member said they live in So Cal and they see vapers all day long every day. I couldn't for the life of me tell you who or where I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwalka View Post
    I read a post 2 days ago where the member said they live in So Cal and they see vapers all day long every day. I couldn't for the life of me tell you who or where I read it.
    "E-smokers are seen all day long everyday"

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast