Vape in Public
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Vape in Public

PV Master ECF Veteran

Default Vape in Public

Here's a real good suggestion that probably won't fly
    However, the results would be phenomenal.

By the way ... for the benefit of new members ...
    There's reasons why ya don't see a lot of Calls to Actions asking
    for Mass e-mails and click here to sign Petitions.

Back to the subject of this post

Someone said recently ... there's an estimated 10 Million vaping in the US alone.
    You couldn't prove it by the numbers we see vaping in public.
    The overwhelming vast majority of vapers will NOT openly vape in Public.
    Don't believe me?
    How many have you seen out there vaping ... Lets say, within the last 30 days.
    Anyone here spend anytime hanging out on the E-cigarettes in Public forum lately?

We have a huge Army of Walking Talking Billboards for our movement.
    hiding out in their homes, cars, smoking areas, ETC ... out of sight from the general public.

Solve that problem ... WOW !!

I told ya it was a real good suggestion ... but probably won't fly.
    Unless someone has a brainstorm idea that would get the army of vapers to "come out"
    CJsKee, kristin, Brewlady and 5 others like this.

It sure would solve the problem LOL. I don't go out much, I'm retired, and it seems I'm the only one that vapes around in my town. Usually at Starbucks sitting outside, and no one has given me a second look when I take out my provari with a 4ml glass tank. Maybe they're all closet vapers, who knows.

Only time someone went into a tizzy was when I was vaping on my eGo C with a cartomizer sitting outside a restaurant after we were done eating. Two women were walking into the restaurant and the last one grabbed the first one and asked her "What is she smoking?" as she shoved the first woman into the restaurant. It was comical, I would have been more than happy to answer her question but she acted as if she had seen something illegal going on.

Maybe some vapers are taking a vacation from having taken the abuse from the holier than thou non-smokers we had to put up with and are just content to vape at home or in the car.

I personally don't have any problem vaping in public.
    CJsKee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrodus View Post

Someone said recently ... there's an estimated 10 Million vaping in the US alone.
    Don't believe me?
    Anyone here spend anytime hanging out on the E-cigarettes in Public forum lately?

hiding out in their homes, cars, smoking areas, ETC ... out of sight from the general public.

Unless someone has a brainstorm idea that would get the army of vapers to "come out"

Yes I'm not sure why we vapers stay "in the closet" so to speak. Fear of lots of questions? Actually, we should be looking forward to the inquisition of others. What an opportunity to share a enjoyable and healthy replacement for analogs!!
    RosaJ and supertrunker like this.

Default great observation

Quote Originally Posted by Petrodus View Post

Don't believe me?

Yes I'm not sure why we vapers stay "in the closet" so to speak. Fear of lots of questions? Actually, we should be looking forward to the inquisition of others. What an opportunity to share a enjoyable and healthy replacement for analogs!!

Moved On Verified Member
    Blog Entries

Coming out?
    Ok well when I was, WAIT! This ain't the [Coming out forum].

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Howdy!

Other than restaurants I openly vape without even asking about the policy anymore. At 1st I would find someone who worked wherever I was and ask them the policy but I quit doing that about a month in. Ciffee shops, bars, grocery stores, etc... I just pull out my shiny new chrome lavatube and vape away. I'm not sure if it's allowed or if I'm just too big and scary looking but at most places nobody ever says I can't vape.
    Pinkcloudtracy likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran StereoDreamer's Avatar

I have concealed handgun permits issue from 4 states, and can legally an lawfully carry concealed in 39 states. I can "open carry" in almost as many states--many without ANY PERMIT whatsoever.

So what do I--as a vocal an outspoken 2A activist--do?

Do I carry concealed everywhere, because I'm afraid I might "offend" someone's tender sensibilities? Do I hide my lawfully-owned and carried self-defense handgun under my shirt or jacket, so I won't be bothered by people asking questions (Are you an undercover cop? Is that Legal? Is that a REAL gun? etc, etc, etc...) Do I hide it because I don't want to draw the attention of "anti's" who might confront me for lawfully carrying? (BTW, what sort of brain-dead idiot gets all rude and confrontational with an OBVIOUSLY armed person because the gun "scares" them?!?)

No. I Open Carry--EVERYWHERE an EVERY TIME I can.

Sure, sometimes, carrying in "stealth mode" is better--when I'm wearing a suit, when I'm visiting people I know aren't rational about lawful carry, when my 3-year-old grand-daughter comes to visit. But if I am in a jurisdiction that recognizes my fundamental human right to self defense, I ALWAYS Carry Openly because it lets the world know where I stand on my own safety and security, it lets "officials" know that I know my rights and am free to exercise them, and it often provides an excellent "teaching moment" when someone asks me why I carry...

And the SAME GOES for vaping.

Granted, Vaping is not a Constitutionally-guaranteed fundamental human right. But it IS still legal in the vast majority of places in the USA, requires no special license, permit or permission, and it is something I enjoy doing, so I'm not going to hide it. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Vaping is not a crime (in most places). PLUS, it provides many EXCELLENT educational opportunities. And I LOVE being a vape-evangelist...

In the last week, I've had three different people--one of which was a non-smoker who was curious (not confrontational, and in fact, he was supportive of Vaping). Each time, I gave them my "elevator pitch" about vaping, and the specific mod I was using, and if they were interested in vaping, I gave them a card for my favorite vendor (which had my ref code on the back).

I understand that, just like in the gun-toting community, not all vapers are inclined to be activists/evangelists/educators, and that is cool. If you are shy, or just don't like interacting with strangers, or for whatever reason don't want to be bothered, then fine. You have the right to vape however you please.

But I ENJOY talking to people about Vaping. I like making converts. I like being able to walk into a mall/restaurant/bar/store vaping while the smokers huddle outside in the cold/rain/sweltering heat. I like being a positive force for Vaping Rights, by educating non-smokers about what Vaping REALLY is, and hopefully converting even people who are anti-smoking to "our side".

We need all the friends we can get. Some jurisdictions are starting to crack own on Vaping--an unless we can present a unified, numerous and authoritative voice, we will slowly have our "right to vape" chipped away, with restrictions, bans, an eventually outright legislative prohibition (BTW, vaping is not a right, any more than drinking coffee or chewing gum is a "right", but you know what I mean...)

By going about our daily routine--going to the grocery store, sitting at a bar, shopping for a new bike for the kids, whatever, an vaping like it is a normal activity--we normalize the activity in the public eye. If every vaper in the US "open vaped" for the next month, I GUARANTEE that most of these silly government moves to restrict vaping would stop immediately, because they would realize that there are MILLIONS of us who will GLADLY vote for "the other guy" next election, when we remember how the "current gang of thugs" treated us as vapers.

Don't hide your mod under a bushel. Open Vape...
    Last edited by StereoDreamer; 11-28-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Hana Modz V3 Mini, eVic, Silver Bullet, AcryliMax Copperwood, RoughStack Shorty, ChiYou Clones, iTaste VV, 2 AMP Tanks, KFL+, Youde Igo W-5 with Crest Cap, 901 HH357s, Terminator-C, Terminator RDAs, Octopus RDAs, Mini DID Clone, and a bunch of eGos and Vivi Novas and 901 attys...

How about if on "Smoke Out" Day, or whatever it's called, vapers went out with t-shirts that say "Vape, don't smoke!"
    DancingHeretik and teajayyy like this.

PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

The only way we'll get "the masses" to understand just how different e-cigarettes are from traditional cigarettes is for them to experience them up close and personal. Otherwise, all they have are pictures, which can't possibly convey how the vapor is non-irritating and basically odorless in an open setting where smoke may still bother them (ie., bar, restaurant, mall, park, pool, office.) If you think of the fact that 99% of the support for laws against second hand smoke were passed based solely on the fact that people find it annoying (rather than any real proof of health risks,) it's the lack of annoyance factors that will "sell" e-cigarettes to non-smokers more than anything else. The only way to convince them that e-cigarette vapor won't annoy them is for them to actually experience it, because pictures and video just seem to show "smoking." Our biggest weapon against the ANTZ is an educated AND EXPERIENCED public. If they don't see and experience them being used around them first-hand, all they have to base their opinion on is images of people doing something that sure LOOKS like smoking and hearing the ANTZ telling them how bad e-cigs are. How e-cigs SMELL (or rather, DON'T smell) is their greatest asset. People don't really care about our health, they care about not being annoyed (even if they claim they are also worried about their health.) So we MUST convince people, without a doubt, that the smell won't bother them. Then when some ANTZ says on the news or to a legislator, "E-cigarettes are the same as smoking and should be banned where smoking is banned" it's not just us knowing that it's a complete lie. The ONLY way to do this is to get out in public and SHOW THEM.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    The ONLY way to do this is to get out in public and SHOW THEM.
    Truer words were never spoken !!!
    Last edited by Petrodus; 11-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast