A Suggestion for those in or entering into the E-Cig business
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By patkin
  • 1 Post By aikanae1

Thread: A Suggestion for those in or entering into the E-Cig business

Full Member Verified Member Llanso's Avatar

Default A Suggestion for those in or entering into the E-Cig business

Here's a little take on hitting the regulators where it hurts...in the wallet. Everything I've read on the subject indicates that everything E-cig is an exploding business that continues to grow every year. Last time I saw a figure, $3 Billion/yr was a close-looming milestone. Which means whether it is directly taxed or not, there's a lot of money in sales/shipping taxes flowing into various government coffers. So here's my recommendation:

Those thinking about opening an E-cig business, open it outside of the jurisdictions that are trying to over-regulate it. Those already running businesses in those jurisdictions, consider moving your operation. I know that that is a lot to ask. I'm not saying we should just lay down and give up, but the Dark Side is strong with the powers pumping cash into crooked politician pockets. I digress, back to the point...I know moving a successful operation is a huge hurdle, but in jurisdictions like NY and California, it's really only a matter of time before a backdoor line in an unrelated bill is sneakily passed at 11:59 pm and you find the local law enforcement telling you that you can't open up shop in the morning. Wouldn't you rather plan your move?

In a deep dark vaping future, maybe there's only one state left importing E-cig supplies and shipping them off to users in every other state in the union. If that were to happen, I'd bet my left twin that the state still slinging e-cigs is one of the richest, and NY, Cali, and all the other anti-vaping areas have long declared bankruptcy. I know that story is an extreme and unlikely scenario, but the point is, why let your tax dollars be spent by the same politicians that are just salivating at the thought of grabbing you by the short and curlies and cutting your jacobs off? Go create jobs somewhere that the local governments value FREEDOM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Another suggestion that's floated around for a couple of years (at least) is a cooperative of small independents. It's never happened and I'm not sure why. I thought a Yahoo message board was set up for awhile. But until small buisness owners step up, they won't be included. Right now big tobacco and plastic ecigs have the table as speaking for merchants.
    "Don't blink."

Trouble is things are happening so fast no one knows where those might be to move to. In AZ for instance, if the FDA deems ecigs a tobacco product, all net sales will be stopped under AZ law controlling tobacco sales. B&M vendors probably actually think they're sitting pretty either way it goes. They have net sales now and if worse comes to worst they become the only consumer sources in the State. I don't think most of them really care about vaping advocacy. They just care about profits. But then I'm pretty cynical with everything that's happened just since I've been vaping a little over a year and a half. Case in point: I've watched the vendor I started with go from small Mom & Pop trying to help people stop smoking to a big commercial operation which expanded to more than one store and has lost its more intimate customer relationships. I guess greed does that sort of thing.
    Last edited by patkin; 03-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    aikanae1 likes this.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Unfortunatley I think you nailed it. Ppl see quick profits and they can't see beyond that.
    patkin likes this.
    "Don't blink."

Full Member Verified Member Llanso's Avatar

The "quick profits" are shortsighted. Without the business owners standing for more than just their profits, they'll soon see compliance costs taking huge bites out of their bottom line.