What to do - Proposed bans in 4 states - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What to do - Proposed bans in 4 states

Moved On

Thanks sun...

& About Brown isn't he part of the lawsuit that I read about in january?

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

When sending letters, I know that handwritten letters have the most impact.
    But would a typed letter that is hand-signed have much impact?

CES
    optimistic cynic Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

i started a new thread- but can anyone confirm this email response from
    Susan McComas – District 35 B
    re: MD house bill 720

"This bill died in the Health and Government Operations Committee. You are safe this year."

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Please note that letters and calls can/should be made to state legislators in these states, not the two US Senators or members of US Congress from these states.

Also, if the bill is introduced in the House (and hasn't passed the House yet), contact members of the House (and especially contact House committee members if the bill is in a House Committee).

Similarly, if bills are introduced in the Senate (and hasn't passed the Senate), contact members of the Senate (and especially contact Senate Committee members if the bill is in a Senate Committee).

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Tho I no longer live in NY I did send them the comment below

Tho I do agree with the restriction of sale to minors. I strongly disagree with this bill . To ban e-cigarettes on the grounds that is has not been approved by the FDA will with hold viable alternatives to tobacco smokers who need reliable nicotine replacement that in fact, work's. I, and thousands of others are proof of that. The liquid used in the e-cigarette are already GRAS by our government. The only potently harmful product is the nicotine. Also found in all tobacco products and NRT products that have a high failure rate in there effectiveness. So what are you trying to tell your constituents considering this bill ? Quit or Die ?
    E.R. member CASAA.org
    Proud Member of CASAA.org :D
    510's , 510 PT , eGo , XHaler ,Darwin and ProVari.

This is CRAZY, first health care is jammed through not to mention amnesty, tax and trade, taking over the Auto industry, taking over the Banking industry, and on, and on, and on, and now THIS!!!! I quit analogs after I found ElizabethsElectronicz.com after going through a bunch of others they have a 510 model that comes with a Pcc just like Blu's Pcc, has atomizers that don't have that horrible flavor right out of the package and has awesome throat hits, unfortunately they are out of Illinois so I knew it was only a matter of time before they got screwed and by association I got screwed by the ever imposing Government.

Blog Entries

Yes, this situation, if you will, is getting way out of hand.

I dunno if this is allowed, but I'm trolling for opinions on this Idea I have... And it fits in with these kinds of knee-jerk bans and scrutiny!

Killer Vid Idea

Take a second to pop over and lemme know whatcha think

Quote Originally Posted by Lab View Post
    everyone that quit in those states should send the governor the rest of their cigs and a letter saying how you no longer need them because e-cigs where the only thing that has helped you quit
    No! you can't do that, that will make them want to ban e-cigs even more. =[

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Sir_Lawrence's Avatar

This is what was sent to me from the State of Maryland:

HB 720
    Department of Legislative Services
    Maryland General Assembly
    2010 Session
    FISCAL AND POLICY NOTE
    House Bill 720
    (Delegates Bobo and Frush)
    Health and Government Operations
    Public Health - Nontobacco Nicotine Products
    This bill prohibits a person from selling, distributing, or offering for sale a product, or any part of a product, that contains or delivers nicotine intended for human consumption and has not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The bill does not apply to tobacco products. Violators are guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of up to $1,000 per violation.
    Fiscal Summary
    State Effect: Potential minimal increase in general fund revenues due to the bill’s penalty provision. No effect on expenditures.
    Local Effect: Enforcement can be handled with existing resources, assuming it is based on complaints only and not on inspection of all retailers that sell nontobacco nicotine products.
    Small Business Effect: Potential minimal.
    Analysis
    Current Law: State law does not address nontobacco nicotine products.
    With certain exceptions, statute prohibits a person from smoking in an indoor area open to the public, an indoor place in which meetings are open to the public, a government-owned or -operated means of mass transportation, or an indoor place of employment. However, the prohibition does not apply to nontobacco nicotine products.
    HB 720 / Page 2
    Background: Electronic cigarettes, or “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain nicotine cartridges and often other chemicals to mimic flavors such as chocolate, mint, or strawberry. When a user sucks on an e-cigarette, a light-emitting diode causes the tip to glow, and the inhaled nicotine vapor is exhaled in a cloud that looks like cigarette smoke but dissipates more quickly and does not have a lingering odor.
    The American Lung Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids have called for e-cigarettes, which are not regulated by FDA, to be removed from the market, saying that children may be attracted to the flavored products and that they have not been proven safe.
    In July 2009, the Oregon Attorney General’s Office announced a settlement prohibiting the sale of e-cigarettes in Oregon until they are approved by FDA, or until a court rules FDA does not have the authority to regulate electronic cigarettes. Even if courts decide that FDA does not have regulatory authority, the settlement stipulates, among other things, that electronic cigarettes may not be sold in Oregon unless there is competent and reliable scientific evidence to support product safety claims.
    In addition, the California legislature attempted to ban the sale of e-cigarettes in the state entirely, but the bill was vetoed by the Governor in October 2009.
    In July 2009, FDA announced that laboratory analysis found that the e-cigarette contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze. However, manufacturers maintain that their products are safe, and in February 2010, a federal judge ruled that FDA cannot regulate electronic cigarettes as drug-delivery devices.
    Additional Information
    Prior Introductions: None.
    Cross File: None.
    Information Source(s): Caroline, Prince George’s, and Montgomery counties; Baltimore City; Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; Comptroller’s Office; Judiciary (Administrative Office of the Courts); American Medical Association; Oregon Department of Justice; Washington Post; Wall Street Journal; Department of Legislative Services
    HB 720 / Page 3
    Fiscal Note History:
    First Reader - March 4, 2010
    mlm/ljm
    Analysis by: Sarah K. Volker
    Direct Inquiries to:
    (410) 946-5510
    (301) 970-5510

The Bill was voted on and rejected for this year with a vote of 19 to 3 against.

We are safe until next year!

Moved On

Wishes it would be dropped by all states etc.
    Has more to say about it but not place for it.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast