What does steeping do exactly? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What does steeping do exactly?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Switched View Post
    ... and all your friend is doing there my friend is oxidize the nicotine.
    What does it mean when the nic is oxidized? Is that a bad thing?

Full Member ECF Veteran

What does it mean when the nic is oxidized? Is that a bad thing?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

I do not steep my juices by making them stand on their head, do somersaults whatever. Sit them in a corner for a week caps on, them hide them from light. That's it no must, no fuss. When I make a fresh batch, it usually just sits on my desk for a wekk, before being placed in the desk drawer. By that time, the colour (on most) has changed to a pale amber. A month later it is a beautiful rich amber colour.
    Kams Cats and Nrgaway like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

For me, I put all of mine away in a closet with the caps ON. If a juice has a chemical taste, I will remove everything and let it sit a day or so and see if it improves it but it's only after I let it steep 2 weeks in the closet. If the air doesn't help, I use it as ant killer. Works great!
    SuperLuckyLady and Nrgaway like this.
    MOD HOARDER

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I knew there was something fishy about that, hence why I myself have never done it

v4lkr808, Krominator, Kranger 510, 5v Lovebox, reomini, reogrand, sabertouch VV Provari, Custom Shan mod, SSGGTS #3850, Ihybrid Pure, Astro

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nrgaway View Post
    Do you keep the caps off the juice for the whole month or just for the first week?
    no, i just let them sit on top or under my table, both ways work fine...(for me at least)
    Nrgaway likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Ant Killer; great idea. I heard nic kills ants but never wanted to go though the mess of extracting it from ash tray butts.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    ...If the air doesn't help, I use it as ant killer. Works great!
    I learn something everyday on this forum!

Senior Member ECF Veteran

ok so if you wanna steep them there are basically 2 main ways of doing that....
    1) let them sit in a dark place with caps on for at least a week, and in most cases they will change colour, sometimes a darker brown, like somebody already mentioned amber and rich amber colour. thats your clue towards knowing that the juice should be good to go and vape on.
    2) the other method that someone mentioned in the 3rd comment (sorry can't remember name) was to let it sit in hot/warm water for a couple hours just like a teabag in the tea. now since the juice is a lot thicker than water or alcohol, after a few hours you can try it out and if it doesn't have enough flavour then you pour out the old and pour in some new hot water to let it steep some more. (imo the hot water is too much fuss for me since i have some juice that i can survive on until its been roughly about a week or more and then i'll try out the new flavours, but its a lot more hassle free. at least for me)
    since you can't wait because this is your first batch of juice i'd go with the second method if i were you to get a quick start, and while you vape on it after a few hours of hot water steeping then at the end of the day just leave it in a drawer or closet anywhere dark and it'll steep while you go through it, and if its a 30ml bottle you won't go through it in like 2 days... i hope not cuz thats a lot of juice...
    so have patience and you will be rewarded with some nice steeped hopefully delicious juice!

sorry for sooooo many commas and stuff, but i ain't good in english essays and such :P
    happy waiting and vaping (soon i hope)
    Last edited by 4Sho; 03-09-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    Nrgaway likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

I just put the lids back on for all my juices. I hope I did not ruin them having the cap off for a week (since I really do not know what effect the oxidized nic has on the juice).

Earlier today I places all of my juices (with caps on of course) in boiling water for 2 hours (places bottles in zip lock so labels would not disappear). Replace the hot water once. Just before I put the lid on all but 3 out of 14 or so seem to smell correct and nice now. I will let them steep with lids on for a few more days before I try them though.

Thanks to everyone so far; great info here!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast