Ontario Ministry of Labour called upon for a ruling of unsafe work. - Page 18
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Ontario Ministry of Labour called upon for a ruling of unsafe work.

Eh? Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
    Sorry slohand but I just had to ask how did this whole no vaping thing start at your work?
    Did u just start vaping there or did u ask one of the management staff about it?
    Just curios to see how this senseless thing began
    June 2011 was when I first vaped. It was Goatscrote that I kept seeing in the smokers area at work with his teabag carto’s and peppermint tin mods. I asked him about it and that was it. On to the boards I went (anonymously at first) and became a vaper. Goatscrote had been vaping at his desk so I also vaped at my desk (discreetly of course).

My Manager at that time was curious, I explained, she liked the harm reduction concept and didn’t see it as a problem. I was even given time at a staff meeting to talk about it. Many thought it was great and encouraged me from a health perspective …. This didn’t last long. In August 2011 someone complained and the first directive came out that we could only vape outside with the smokers. We followed the directive but I pushed with all the data that was available about the safety and efficacy of vaping. Management stubbornly stuck with the Health Canada 2009 argument.

I was more than happy to talk to anybody and everybody about how great vaping was and managed to recruit many to vaping and in turn they were becoming pro-vaping. The ANTZ who had started the ‘ban vaping’ campaign escalated their efforts as we escalated ours. Both sides were convinced that what they were doing was right, but their tactics became nasty. Many vapers in our building don't do it durning the day anymore 'cause they didn't want the 'hassle'. They smoke cigarettes at work and vape at home.

Over the next year and half I ended up with 4 letters of reprimand in my HR file, from unknown accusers, for allegedly vaping in the offices. Every smell in the building became a vaping smell. Every headache someone suffered was from vaping. Even an ANTZ, who is also a smokers (???) once said to me “blow that here in my face, I’d love to take some paid leave”.

It took me the better part of a year to get management to realize that I was a victim of harassment with these baseless accusations about vaping indoors. The “cry wolf” finally started to take hold in the management ranks and the accusations were no longer believable.

The ANTZ moved to using the Joint Health and Safety Committees to advance their push to have vaping completely eradicated. We (vapers) were slow to realize that they had cornered the H&S committees opinion against vaping. Even if we had done something earlier on that front we wouldn’t have gotten anywhere because the committee was made up of 100% ANTZ anyway. The H&S committee got management to reissue their anti-vaping directives with stronger language and had management send out ‘reminder’ bulletins to all staff about their anti-vaping policy three times over a four month period. It was harassment. With every new bulletin we got more and more stink-eyes from people. Very stressful times to say the very least!

Their next strategy is the one that starts here in this thread.
    SoUnique and Projectguy like this.

SilverDog V1 by Van, Orion V2.1 + V3 by NoSmoker, Provari V2 by Provape, BNJ Mod, KayFun 3.1

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Geez...do they also routinely accuse women in the office of witchcraft?
    wolcen, SoUnique, albcig and 2 others like this.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneNeveu View Post
    Geez...do they also routinely accuse women in the office of witchcraft?
    I know that Slohand's employer regularly burns people at the stake
    tybin, cigarbabe and vintagerider like this.

Tobacco is for prayer not for recreation

Super Member ECF Veteran Esharp's Avatar

SloHand - Why would they have a policy that would force vapors to be in the smoking areas with smokers? The hole idea of vaping is to be smoke free, now they force you to the smoking area to breath second hand smoke. They wouldn't force a non smoker to do that, so why would they do that to an ex-smoker. Maybe you need to get the MOL back in to get rid of the smokers out of the smoking area, as it is bad for your health to breath in their second hand smoke!
    SloHand and Projectguy like this.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esharp View Post
    SloHand - Why would they have a policy that would force vapors to be in the smoking areas with smokers? The hole idea of vaping is to be smoke free, now they force you to the smoking area to breath second hand smoke. They wouldn't force a non smoker to do that, so why would they do that to an ex-smoker. Maybe you need to get the MOL back in to get rid of the smokers out of the smoking area, as it is bad for your health to breath in their second hand smoke!
    Take the employer to de wall
    cigarbabe and SoUnique like this.

sad case of mass ignorance, they don't even realize that all the compounds in ecigs
    is in everything in their daily lives. even nicotine, there's no escaping it.
    ban bell peppers, tomatos, and potatoes too,
    all in the same family of plants that have nicotine, tobacco just has more than those.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

A Vaper is a NON SMOKER
    SloHand, Ayce and Projectguy like this.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Actually E I think we leave smokers where they are. We need their presence to highlight the difference and because vaping is "Not likely to Endanger" vapers should therefore be permitted to vape at their desks or other such location as to not put them at risk of second hand smoke.
    cigarbabe, SoUnique and Tajji'smom like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Esharp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoUnique View Post
    A Vaper is a NON SMOKER
    That's not necessarily true, not all vapers are non-smokers. I know a number that mostly vape, but still smoke cigarettes.

Full Member Verified Member GoatScrote's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by struckus View Post
    why not file a breach of fair representation against the union?

Labour Law - Unionized Employees and Duty of Fair Representation Complaints
    I was thinking of doing exactly that. I would like to ensure that more union members and employees become aware of this issue, and that they remember that they got called on their BS, so that hopefully this crap doesn't have to happen to anyone else. This might be the only way to accomplish that.

I agree with Projectguy, I think I'm going to try to present a case to the joint health and safety committee recommending removing the silly policy restrictions on bringing liquid or refilling etc... there's also an unused boardroom that is too noisy for people to use (loud ventilation, but not harmfully loud), I'm going to try and see if they'll let us vape indoors as long as we do it there. A dedicated vape room.

Although, maybe I should go for broke and recommend that the policy be removed entirely, so we can vape at our desks. After all, there's no harm.

Of course, all my preponderance may be moot, as the JH&S is comprised entirely of hardcore antz, as far as I can tell. They do not seem interested in facts or research, their minds are set.

I think we're on the right track though, and this whole situation seems a whole lot more manageable after this significant victory over ignorance and fear.

SloHand, making this thread was pure GENIUS! This is a lot of great thinking you've started here, and hopefully this will make it much easier going for the next sorry bastage this happens to.

You guys all should have seen the happy dance after we read that MOL report. LOL!