Ontario Ministry of Labour called upon for a ruling of unsafe work. - Page 8
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Ontario Ministry of Labour called upon for a ruling of unsafe work.

Full Member Verified Member GoatScrote's Avatar

So I got an email today from management with an amendment to the vaping policy:

"Management has further considered that there are unknown risks associated with the chemicals used in e-cigarettes and has concluded that additional measures would be appropriate to ensure the safety of staff in the workplace.

These additional measures are:

Chemicals used for vaping must not be mixed within the building.

Vaping devices cannot be cleaned, disassembled, or assembled within the building.

No amount of chemicals used for vaping other than those already in a vaping device are to be brought into the building."

I sent out a LOT of links today - thanks again Vocalek! - hoping that some facts might help. This has got to be fueled by people not having accurate facts. There's some fearmongering happening for sure, and people are believing the BS. On the up side, several people stopped to tell me that they thought it was BS too, so at least some people aren't fooled so easily...

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by GoatScrote View Post

"Management has further considered that there are unknown risks associated with the chemicals used in e-cigarettes and has concluded that additional measures would be appropriate to ensure the safety of staff in the workplace.

Vaping devices cannot be cleaned, disassembled, or assembled within the building.

No amount of chemicals used for vaping other than those already in a vaping device are to be brought into the building."

I sent out a LOT of links today - thanks again Vocalek! - hoping that some facts might help. This has got to be fueled by people not having accurate facts. There's some fearmongering happening for sure, and people are believing the BS. On the up side, several people stopped to tell me that they thought it was BS too, so at least some people aren't fooled so easily...
    Awww damn....you mean you can't steam distill and emulsify nicotine right at your desk? That's Oppression.

Looks like you should start loading up on these baby's..... Grab 10 ego batteries and 10 of these and fill them all up before work. Make sure you use a heavy VG juice.

6.0ML Dual Coil Tank (DCT) Tank / Cartomiser - VapingVision - V V - FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS

And if one of them starts to leak all over the place, ask management to call in the Hazmat team. Remember...you can't clean it yourself.

But seriously, this is definitely BS. You can always tell the pitchfork waving douchebag's when they start saying things like "Chemicals used for vaping". Chemicals? really? That's the word you're going with? You know what else is a "chemical" - Water.

ECF Veteran

This has me thinking now...

"Chemicals used for vaping must not be mixed within the building."

So if I wanted to, I could bring in 100mg/ml concentrated nicotine AS LONG AS I didn't mix it for the purposes of vaping? What if I just wanted to put some in my coffee? What if I wanted to put it in someone else's coffee? Wait........I didn't say that out loud did I?

Well, see the part where it says "No amount of chemicals used for vaping other than those already in a vaping device are to be brought into the building."? That part is extra dicey. So under this policy, no chemicals that are used in vaping can be brought into the building. Let's take a closer look:

Propylene Glycol - This is the main ingredient in E-Liquid, but it is also found in things such as soap, asthma inhalers, cosmetics etc... Shouldn't all of these products now be banned from the building, not just E-Liquid? I'm not going to bother going on further with Glycerol, food flavourings, nicotine, distilled water, alcohol etc... You can see where I'm going with this. The way this policy is written, technically, you would have to come to work bare-assed naked with no makeup, deodorant etc... seeing as those contain "chemicals used for vaping.". Oh but I'll take 'er another step down crazy lane - I use a silver bullet with a kick, IMR EH 18500 1100mah, and a DiD clone with a borosilicate tank tube. So then are all items containing brass, aluminum, solder, rubber, delrin etc... all banned too, unless they are attached to a PV?

Sorry for the rant lol, but you can see the level of competence we're dealing with here. I think I'm going to have to start going over people's heads until I manage to find someone who will look at this with an open mind.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Bring a couple of litres of VG and PG in one day - challenge them with the Shoppers Drugmart receipt.
    SoUnique likes this.

Tobacco is for prayer not for recreation

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Well, see the part where it says "No amount of chemicals used for vaping other than those already in a vaping device are to be brought into the building."? That part is extra dicey. So under this policy, no chemicals that are used in vaping can be brought into the building. Let's take a closer look:

Propylene Glycol - This is the main ingredient in E-Liquid, but it is also found in things such as soap, asthma inhalers, cosmetics etc... Shouldn't all of these products now be banned from the building, not just E-Liquid? I'm not going to bother going on further with Glycerol, food flavourings, nicotine, distilled water, alcohol etc... You can see where I'm going with this. The way this policy is written, technically, you would have to come to work bare-assed naked with no makeup, deodorant etc... seeing as those contain "chemicals used for vaping.". Oh but I'll take 'er another step down crazy lane - I use a silver bullet with a kick, IMR EH 18500 1100mah, and a DiD clone with a borosilicate tank tube. So then are all items containing brass, aluminum, solder, rubber, delrin etc... all banned too, unless they are attached to a PV?

Sorry for the rant lol, but you can see the level of competence we're dealing with here. I think I'm going to have to start going over people's heads until I manage to find someone who will look at this with an open mind.
    Then no rolling papers or loose tobacco.

On that note Projectguy, I was thinking of making some sort of ridicu-mizer, maybe a 2 litre pop bottle for the tank, or even as conservative as a 30ml bottle. Basically a genesis style tank that holds a CRAPTON of E-Liquid. any ideas?

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

On that note Projectguy, I was thinking of making some sort of ridicu-mizer, maybe a 2 litre pop bottle for the tank, or even as conservative as a 30ml bottle. Basically a genesis style tank that holds a CRAPTON of E-Liquid. any ideas?
    There is a "Desk Pipe" described somewhere that basically does exactly that. I don't think they call it that but if I remember correctly it holds a chit load.

Even better and this will conflict their nematode synapses is the Stanley Cup vaper that Shooter (JR Custom Turnings) made last year.

ECF Veteran

I would just leave it as is and work within their own policies. As I'm reading it, it looks like the "No amount of chemicals used for vaping" could mean you can't bring in liquid INTENDED for the purpose of vaping, not necessarily just because it's IN eliquid (if that makes sense?). The part about assembly, to me, looks like they don't want you messing with the atty at work (I guess so you can't add liquid?). But again, what if it leaks? If you prefill them you should be fine (according to the policy), but then again....you're dealing with a huge disconnect in logic so who knows what they really mean. And since when can you not disassemble something at work? What is this a dirty bomb?

At worst, could just trap them in circular reasoning and use all of this to show their gross incompetence. Or it could totally explode in your face and they could just ban vaping outright. It's a tough call man....
    Last edited by blackHelix; 02-26-2013 at 12:55 AM.

ECF Veteran

A juice feeder mod would work too...

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast