Single Coil vs Dual Coil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Single Coil vs Dual Coil

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Question Single Coil vs Dual Coil

So I found the sweet spot (for me) on my VTube at 4.3v on a 3.0 ohm Single Coil cartomizer, and im attempting to outfit my eGo with roughly the same wattage (6.16) so I ordered a 2.0 ohm Single Coil for it as the rough estimations i can find everywhere is that under load it runs around 3.4v (makes the wattage roughly 6.0).

I know on my VTube that single coil is much better, but after all that, my real question is this:

What are the differences between single coil and dual coil and why would one be better on a VV device and one on the fixed voltage device?

Single Coil vs Dual Coil-confusedneutrino.jpg
    John D in CT likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Start here; http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ty-cartos.html

Excellent thread; answers a lot of questions, then raises a few more.

The basics of what I took away from that thread:

1) A dual coil (DC) atty/carto of a given resistance will contain two coils wired in parallel, each of which are twice the resistance (ohms) of the rated ohms of the atty/carto, and each of which will get half as hot as the coil in a single coil (SC) atty/carto of the same resistance (ohms).

Example: a 2.0 ohm DC will be wired with 2 x 4 ohm coils, which in parallel will draw 2.0 ohms, but each of which will heat up about half as much as would a single 2.0 ohm coil. More resistance, less heat. Although that suddenly seems backwards. But I don't think it is.

2) Single coil makes more sense to me than a dual coil for the simple reason that even in a tank, the lower coil will be a little more saturated than the upper coil. Without a tank, the upper coil is almost certain to run too dry much of the time.

Open question, and one that I'm going to post in that thread, but will ask here before I forget it:

A) It seems to me that as long as you can keep them surrounded by wet polyfill, or with proper wicking in a carto-less tank, would you not get more total vapor from two separate coils in a single carto than you would from a single coil, assuming each coil gets warm enough to reach the temperature at which a coil best vaporizes juice.

B) If A) is true, and it's also true that each coil in a DC gets about 1/2 as warm as the coil in a SC at the same resistance and at the same voltage, would it not make sense to power the DC at twice the total watts of the SC, making each coil in the DC as warm as the single coil in the SC.

Example:

A) DC 2.0 ohm carto at 4V = 8 watts, each coil drawing 4 watts

B) SC 2.0 ohm carto at 4V = 8 watts, single coil drawing 8 watts. (Coil twice as warm as (A)?)

So, would this (C) give a better vape than (A)?:

C) DC 2.0 ohm carto at 5.6V = 15.68 watts/call it 16, each coil drawing 8 watts. Coils at same (higher) temperature as in (B) = better vape than (A)?

(Yes, this is about 2.85 amps. The ProVari can handle 3.5, so let's leave switch capacity out of it).

Brain ... hurts ... must ... stop ..... now ...

(And a gentle note to prospective respondants to my question; I am so very weary of snarkiness and put-downs, and would really appreciate as much civility as you can muster. I'm just asking a question to try to arrive at a scientifically sound answer. I'm not saying that I know much of anything for sure, so please bear that in mind if you choose to offer your opinion - TIA)
    Last edited by John D in CT; 04-15-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    John R. L., *ASH* and invididual like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That makes perfect sense to me but I am not an electrical guru. I have asked this question before and not really got an answer I could understand. Your question makes a ton of sense. Let's hope the answer does too.
    John D in CT likes this.

MAN CAVE MOD,
    PROVARI V2, RED SKY MODS DESTROYER

Super Member ECF Veteran Slurp812's Avatar

If I try to compare my SD MKII (ScrewDriver MKII) with its 18350 battery fully charged, and my Provavi, I notice the same thing. With the same 1.7 ohm carto no matter how low I set the Provari, it still gives me a stronger hit. I have a V1 Provari so the minimum voltage is 3.3. So I can conclude that my SD MKII isnt able to supply even 3.3 volts under load. The question is how much voltage can your Ego (and my SD MKII) really supply under load?

لــــونــــــا Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Nice Information , Know I also know the diferent betwen both.
    John D in CT likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran D. Waterhouse's Avatar

The main problem people have with dual coils is that their batterys can't handle the amp draw these things need to work at full power. I love a 1.7ohm DC @ 3.7v but only with an AW IMR high drain battery. I get mine here and they are the only batteries I run anymore.
    John D in CT likes this.
    A Kayfun and Caravela clones, BoxMods w/ 2ohm singles, IGO S, Smok dripper, iTaste VF, Orchid V2 clone & Adirondack Vapor juice :)

ECF Veteran

what i got out of the thread you linked is that the only real difference is in heat produced and power draw. a SC produces more heat with less power vs a DC producing less heat with more power (at the same voltage)

Quote Originally Posted by John D in CT View Post
    Brain ... hurts ... must ... stop ..... now ...
    I couldnt agree more.... I get into reading it (not just your post) and about halfway into it everything all starts to blur together lol
    Last edited by invididual; 04-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    John D in CT likes this.

Bottom line; a 1.5ohm DCC is the same as having two 3ohm cartos. So in order to get your 6.16 watts you would need to have 4.3 volts.

Another problem with a DCC is figuring the amount of nicotine you are inhaling.
    ex: using a 24mg e-liquid in a DCC would be about like using 36-48mg juice in a SCC.
    Last edited by tj99959; 04-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by John D in CT View Post
    Example:

A) DC 2.0 ohm carto at 4V = 8 watts, each coil drawing 4 watts

B) SC 2.0 ohm carto at 4V = 8 watts, single coil drawing 8 watts. (Coil twice as warm as (A)?)
    John, the thing you're missing is that though each coil in a Double Coil is only producing 4 Watts of heat, the TOTAL heat from the DC is 8 Watts, the same as the SC, so the heat would be the same.

George
    At 72 years old, my philosophy is "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing." http://www.jensensound.com/

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by WA3PNT View Post
    John, the thing you're missing is that though each coil in a Double Coil is only producing 4 Watts of heat, the TOTAL heat from the DC is 8 Watts, the same as the SC, so the heat would be the same.

George
    Too tired to fully contemplate that right now, but I just want to encourage you to read the thread I linked to, which goes into this in great detail, and I think comes to a satisfactory conclusion about this whole issue.

I'll give a better reply tomorrow.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ty-cartos.html
    Last edited by John D in CT; 04-16-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast