CASAA blog: FDA releases e-cigarette rules
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: CASAA blog: FDA releases e-cigarette rules

PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

Default CASAA blog: FDA releases e-cigarette rules

Today the FDA finally released its long-awaited proposed rules on e-cigarettes.

On its face, it appears that it is not as bad for consumers as it might have been, but there are still serious concerns. The FDA approval process is very complicated, and the details matter. Unlike some commentators, we are not prepared to say much more until we have a chance to examine them and consider them in the context of existing institutions.

It's important to remember that the recently published rules are only proposed rules at this time.The next step for the FDA will be to open a docket for public comments, which will last for 75 days. After analyzing the 240-page document, CASAA will issue a Call to Action for its members detailing any consumer concerns, instructions for submitting public comments and possible talking points.

To download a copy of the rules...

CASAA: FDA releases e-cigarette rules
    Last edited by kristin; 04-24-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    hittman, Katya, sanjosse and 11 others like this.

Dragon Lady ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

thank you for posting this.
    240 pages? I'll wait for the movie.. uhm... the analysis by the qualified people of CASAA.
    Thank you for all you do for us!
    KathyD26, Katya, FlyingV and 5 others like this.
    European Vapers: We need you! Please sign the European Free Vaping Initiative - for all of us!

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks Kristin!

Time to make a donation to CASAA!

Please let us know how you read those regulations and what you want us to do next!

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Glad I bought a lot of nic last week.
    Smoke free since Feb 26, 2014
    State of Maryland collects ~ 6 Billion/year in Tobacco taxes
    Federal Government collects ~16 Billion/year in Tobacco taxes
    Do they really want us to quit?

PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

Default CASAA Assessment of FDA Deeming Regulation, April 25, 2014

Yesterday’s FDA draft deeming regulation regarding e-cigarettes, other smoke-free alternatives, and other products is not as bad on its face as it might have been. However, a full review -- in the context of background knowledge and institutional analysis -- reveals that the proposed regulation is inappropriate, ill-founded, and potentially devastating for consumers.

1. The proposed regulation of non-combustible tobacco products, particularly including e-cigarettes, does almost nothing to address any real problems.

With the exception of ingredient labeling requirements, which benefit consumers, and bans on sales to minors, which we also support, this appears to be a classic case of a solution in search of a problem. FDA presents only speculative claims of harms or risks from smoke-free products. To the extent that they identify potential problems, there is no reason to believe that the proposed regulations will address them.

READ MORE>>

NOTE: We expect to provide further analysis on Monday, April 28th, 2014. In the next week or two, we will issue a Call to Action detailing how the proposed regulations affect consumers along with suggested actions so that consumers can respond most effectively. Please remember that a comment to the FDA regulations made on Day 1 is given no more weight than a comment made on Day 75. We urge the vaping community and others interested in opposing regulation that discourages tobacco harm reduction to await further analysis before acting. There is no benefit in acting or opining precipitously.
    Last edited by kristin; 04-27-2014 at 12:01 AM.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks Kristin!

We desperately need guidance. I'm eagerly awaiting CASAA's Call to Action.

ETA: I like Bill G's suggestion--but I'm sure you've read it by now. Post #37.

Bill Godshall urges opposition to FDA deeming reg at FDLI conference because it would give e-cig industry to Big Tobacco

The best tactic to delay the regulatory process is to request more than 75 days to submit public comments (especially since it took dozens of FDA staff and lawyers nearly three years to write the complex 241 page proposal).
    Last edited by Katya; 04-27-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    Uma, salemgold, aikanae1 and 2 others like this.

Ultra Member Supporting Member Roger_Lafayette's Avatar

It would be great if CASAA could take a position on the scope of the deeming rule. I.e. what is the FDA asserting authority over?

Clearly they are not asking to regulate Provari tee shirts (accessories) - assuming there are any

However there do seem to be a few posters who genuninely believe that the FDA is only asserting authority over e-liquid that contains (tobacco-derived) nicotine, and/or anything sold with e-liquid that contains it.

It's reasonable to guess that there are many vapers out there (at least in absolute numbers) who might be less helpful to our cause, if they believed that. For ex., nic-free vapers might incorrectly believe that their APVs are safe.

Most of us think the language in the PDF and the statute are fairly clear, not to mention Zeller's answer to Greg's Q at 14:05 in the teleconference: FDA Deeming Teleconference 4/24/2014 - YouTube

Namely: the FDA is asserting that it has the authority to regulate virtually all equipment that is intended to, or anticipated to be used uniquely for vaping applications. They probably won't touch rubber O-rings, but the fact that a spinner can be used as a paper weight and lacks nicotine doesn't matter in terms of the authority that they're deeming to exercise in the proposed rule.

Clarification from CASAA on this point might help get more folks on board.
    Katya, aikanae1 and Talyon like this.
    Don't WAIT until the FDA takes away your right to vape! Join CASAA: a vaper's rights industry-UNaffiliated CHARITY w/ NO PAID STAFF, that has stopped bans on sales of vaping supplies & much more. Join FREE, info. is confidential: http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that CASAA's sharpest attorneys are working on this as we speak.

I really want to hear their take on the entire proposal, its scope, and its legality.
    salemgold, amazed, LaraC and 2 others like this.

IAMJACK'SSMIRKINGREVENGE Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_Lafayette View Post
    It would be great if CASAA could take a position on the scope of the deeming rule. I.e. what is the FDA asserting authority over?

from CASAA: CASAA Assessment of FDA Deeming Regulation, April 25, 2014

Taking Action.

It is our current assessment that these proposed regulations are not in the best interests of consumers. They include some good provisions, but do far more harm than good. They are based on arbitrary claims and rationalizations. Should the regulations be finalized as currently formulated and implied, we are prepared to marshal our resources to file a lawsuit on behalf of consumers.

We expect to provide further analysis on Monday, April 28th, 2014. In the next week or two, we will issue a Call to Action detailing how the proposed regulations affect consumers along with suggested actions so that consumers can respond most effectively. Please remember that a comment to the FDA regulations made on Day 1 is given no more weight than a comment made on Day 75. We urge the vaping community and others interested in opposing regulation that discourages tobacco harm reduction to await further analysis before acting. There is no benefit in acting or opining precipitously.
    Uma, LaraC and Talyon like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_Lafayette View Post

Clearly they are not asking to regulate Provari tee shirts (accessories) - assuming there are any

However there do seem to be a few posters who genuninely believe that the FDA is only asserting authority over e-liquid that contains (tobacco-derived) nicotine, and/or anything sold with e-liquid that contains it.

It's reasonable to guess that there are many vapers out there (at least in absolute numbers) who might be less helpful to our cause, if they believed that. For ex., nic-free vapers might incorrectly believe that their APVs are safe.

Most of us think the language in the PDF and the statute are fairly clear, not to mention Zeller's answer to Greg's Q at 14:05 in the teleconference: FDA Deeming Teleconference 4/24/2014 - YouTube

Namely: the FDA is asserting that it has the authority to regulate virtually all equipment that is intended to, or anticipated to be used uniquely for vaping applications. They probably won't touch rubber O-rings, but the fact that a spinner can be used as a paper weight and lacks nicotine doesn't matter in terms of the authority that they're deeming to exercise in the proposed rule.

I have no doubt that is what FDA's intentions are, but there's some mushy areas when it comes to application. One of the questions that I keep thinking of is that nicotine is not the only legal substance pv's are used for anymore and that legal substance can go where ecigs couldn't.

From Paypal to Groupon to Ebay, "dry herb atomizers" are perfectly acceptable and ecigs are not. When SF drafted their vaping ban, they went out of their way to avoid banning anything associated with "dry herb" use. There's also an essential oil homepathy that uses similar type devices. I haven't seen these addressed by the FDA or the respective communities and I'm not sure they are aware that what they use could be jeapordized by FDA regulations. I just think the FDA is expectng a clean line between what vapers use and what other industries use, which is not the case.
    Talyon and keithu2 like this.
    "Don't blink."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast