Is vaping a sin?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is vaping a sin?

Senior Member ECF Veteran Tiari's Avatar

It may very well be, and is probably likely, that vaping (inhalation of a drug) would be construed as sin in a few faiths. However, being a sin should never make something illegal.

Super Member ECF Veteran Southern Gent's Avatar

No it is not per say. Anything that a person places before God is sin. This could be basically anything not just inclusive to something that harms the body.
    Body is the temple of God- Does not mean what most people make it to mean. It is simply the place where God dwells. Nothing more, nothing less. Many will use this scripture to taboo smoking, drinking, tats, dancing, piercings or whatever. If the scripture was meant to be used in this fashion, why does the apostle Paul later say that exercise profits little. Seems we have a Bible contradiction. No contradiction. The contradiction comes from a poor interpretation of the scripture. Is having a drink sin? Is smoking a sin? Only if it comes before one's service to God.

PV Master ECF Veteran

I read that thread and responded to it already. I don't see vaping (or smoking) as a sin. I agree with SG, a sin would be putting something/someone else before God.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Blog Entries

Yes nicotine is a drug, but so is caffeine. How many church functions are without a coffee pot? If the "Church" feels that vaping is a sin so is coffee. The one sin that is specifically mentioned in the Bible is Gluttony. I have a difficult time taking correction from any head of church that is obese. But these comments are just my humble opinions.

ECF Veteran

I like the way you put it, So Gent. I saw that thread and it seemed to turn into a Christian bashing thread pretty quickly..although to be fair, not exclusively. bjannr, while I understand your point, it seems to me that any judgement of others is probably as great a sin than most sins we accuse them of. To assume that a person struggling with obesity is gluttonous, or that caffeine is also a drug and therefore a sin.... is just as judgemental.

Also, most drugs, including nicotine, caffeine, ( and yes even other "herbal" products) are originally something that God created for our consumption. They probably have a purpose and intention. It is our choice whether or not we abuse it.

The simple fact that people are looking for something to label as "sin" is indication that they are missing the point. Once someone is "in Christ", there is no sin. All things may not be expedient... but they are legal in Christ.
    "... That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much." Robert Louis Stevenson

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Blog Entries

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I didn't mean to be judgemental, but many are to the point they do not see their own faults. We need to be comfortable with what we do. Everything in moderation. I was just trying to make a point that I do not see much difference between caffeine and nicotine. Both can cause health problems if used in excess.

Super Member ECF Veteran Southern Gent's Avatar

If smoking is a sin because it harms the body then so is a McDonalds cheeseburger. I can remember just a few short years back, the front steps of the church looked like the building was on fire with ciggy smoke. It was not until it became politically incorrect to smoke that most churches jumped on the bandwagon. The church cannot/should not be involved because of pc.
    Last edited by Southern Gent; 12-03-2010 at 06:03 PM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Gent View Post
    No it is not per say. Anything that a person places before God is sin. This could be basically anything not just inclusive to something that harms the body.
    Body is the temple of God- Does not mean what most people make it to mean. It is simply the place where God dwells. Nothing more, nothing less. Many will use this scripture to taboo smoking, drinking, tats, dancing, piercings or whatever. If the scripture was meant to be used in this fashion, why does the apostle Paul later say that exercise profits little. Seems we have a Bible contradiction. No contradiction. The contradiction comes from a poor interpretation of the scripture. Is having a drink sin? Is smoking a sin? Only if it comes before one's service to God.
    Perfect scriptural response SG!... and I agree with that apt interpretation.
    A simple handmaiden for Christ

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blondeambition3 View Post
    Perfect scriptural response SG!... and I agree with that apt interpretation.
    What Blonde said. Great answer SG.

All things are put here by God for our use. Unfortunately, like alcohol (during prohibition) and other things (with the exception of California), cigarettes, e-cigs, fatty food, salt, and all sorts of other things may be illegal. God says we are to obey the laws of the land unless they go against His law. Since He doesn't say we have to smoke and eat hamburgers.....

Somebody kick me for saying that out-loud. I may be kicking myself for it later. Darn logic.

~A

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast