Prayer Requests--New thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Prayer Requests--New thread

Super Member ECF Veteran

Default Quitting nicotine: Moved to Prayer Request thread

I apologize this is so long....

Normally, I hate form letters but I figured this would be the easiest way to explain to my brothers & sisters in Christ and ask kindly for your prayers.
    I smoked for 13 years. For most of this time, I was begging God to take this addiction from me and I tried all sorts of things to quit. About a year ago I finally quit cigarettes using an electronic cigarette (a device that allows you to inhale liquid nicotine without the tar, chemicals, smoke, etc)

I've developed asthma & my doctor suspects I may have a mild form of emphysema (more tests will be done). She is urging me to quit the e-cig to avoid further toxins from entering my lungs since I already work around chemicals on top of that.

I work with smokers and a lot of my family are smokers. My husband smokes (not around me after this news) so I will be around cigarettes, smelling it. I am terrified of all this. I am much more attached to the e-cig than I was with regular cigarettes because I can "smoke" it inside at work, in restaurants, anywhere.

I have been wanting to quit for some time and have successfully lowered my nicotine levels. However, I know this is going to be very difficult and I am asking all of you to please, please say a special prayer for me that I might be delivered from the bondage of this addiction. And if it's not too much trouble, a prayer for my husband--he smokes like a freight train!

This was an email I sent to a few friends. I am sure many of you know about emphysema. I am only 29 years old and I have a lot of fear about quitting e-cig because of the many times I treid to quit smoking & failed miserably; most times not even lasting a full day.

For past couple days, been chewing nicotine gum in between vaping to lessen my use of e-cig (I use a 6 volt Chuck; was smoking 2.5 to 3 packs per day beforehand). I was thinking of taking a weekend to spend in bed & just not have any nicotine at all. I really just want to be done with it all, I don't want to spend anymore money on this drug!

If that doesn't work, I talked to my boss about taking a week off in the spring for detox. Either way my plans are to feed my husband frozen foods, take-out and just relax, watch movies & read, listen to my Joyce Meyer CDs and do nothing. My husband said he'd take the time off with me, I'm assuming to do chores & errands and in general, take care of me (He's pretty freaked out about it all--my mom has emphysema badly & his father died from smoking. Hopefully, this kick in his own want to quit smoking; then I will be grateful for this unhappy news)

I must admit I am scared. I don't want to fail. I don't want to be addicted to a drug anymore. I don't have many Christian friends so I am begging and thanking you all for your prayers & support. My faith is shaky right now & I fear God is not hearing me. This is how it was every time I tried to quit smoking & I know I cannot do this on my own.

Thanks to everyone,
    Misty

PS--I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for nicotine to leave the body completely?
    Last edited by trukinlady; 02-23-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran trukinlady's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Misty;

WTG!! You've already done the hard part by quitting analogs!! PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!

I've read several posts here on the forum where members have completely quit nicotine altogether. There are many addictive substances other than nicotine in analogs, and you're already free from them!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

I understand completely how you feel! It is scary to take that next step! But God will meet you at your faith! He will NEVER leave you!!

I'll keep you in my prayers!!

God Bless!
    Trukinlady (a.k.a: 'T')
    2 Thess 3:3, 1 John 4:4, Psalm 40:1-3, Romans 8:18
    Christian Vapers..come visit us!
    Cancer Survivors/Loved Ones..We're here for you!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by trukinlady View Post
    Misty;

WTG!! You've already done the hard part by quitting analogs!! PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!

I've read several posts here on the forum where members have completely quit nicotine altogether. There are many addictive substances other than nicotine in analogs, and you're already free from them!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

I understand completely how you feel! It is scary to take that next step! But God will meet you at your faith! He will NEVER leave you!!

I'll keep you in my prayers!!

God Bless!
    Congratulations on your next step towards becoming 'substance' free! I will be praying for your continued success!
    A simple handmaiden for Christ

Super Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the support. I know I was shown e-cigs for a reason. At the time that I began playing with them my mom was diagnosed with emphysema and has always had asthma. It got to the point where she had to choose smoking or breathing. She smoked her last cigarette on Christmas Day 2009.

Mom told me today that she really has a feeling everything will be OK.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Saintscruiser's Avatar

Hi Misty! Haven't seen you in awhile! Welcome back!

What nicotine level are you using now? Why can't you take the month of February to work your way down to zero. That way, you'll be closer to quitting it all on a taper down system. Now if you cannot do this, I will pray for your success.....I'll do that anyway. I would think the 2nd hand smoke would be more detrimental than an e-cig, since there is no tar nor carcinogens in an e-cig. It seems to me you'd have a higher success rate if you do the taper than doing it cold turkey. It takes 3 days for nicotine to get out of your system. I've been told that you should drink a lot of water to help flush it out. Since an e-cig is water vapor instead of smoke, I can't see where continuing to use 0 nicotine could harm you, since an inhaler uses the pg for asthma. Maybe if your husband will step out doors for smoking and you can start removing the tar from everything in your house....carpets, drapes, clothing, linens, etc. Is your doctor a pulmonologist? One other suggestion I have is to get a 2nd opinion as this is too important of a situation to just take 1 doctor's word for it. Just a thought, is all. I almost coughed up a lung on a regular basis before I quit tobacco. What a major difference it's made!

Which ever road you travel, I wish you the absolute best! Keep us informed on your progress!
    Moderator - Christian Vapors

PV Master ECF Veteran

Hi Misty!

So good to hear from you! I was wondering how you were lately, and how you were doing. I will also pray for you to be able to make this goal happen with the help of our lord and savior, all things are possible.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Whether the liquid is good or bad for me I still want to quit so maybe this is the extra shove I need. I buy 24mg and dilute to 12mg with glycerin. PG burns my throat. I tried cutting the 12mg in half but it was so syrupy I went back to 12mg. Plus, I was really using it nonstop at 6mg. I considered buying some 12mg to cut....ah what the heck, I thought, I'll just quit.

Husband will go to garage or to another room (it's been really cold here) to smoke. Cleaning the house would do no good; he'll just smoke it up when I'm not here. Besides I figure I have to learn to be OK with the smell. I smell cigs at work on my coworkers, while walking through the Wal-Mart parking lot...

A friend of ours that smoked for prob 20 yrs & quit once said If you can make it 3 days, you can make it. I'm banking on that!

When I get home from work today, I may dilute the liquid some more. Yeah, think I"ll do that.

Marked the calender for Feb 12. I figure by the time I wake up, the nic will already be 7 hours on its way out of my system. Of course, I'd made this same plan with cigarettes so many times

Super Member ECF Veteran

I really feel like this is the best time for me to quit. I know God has been changing me. I know this because right around Christmas we received a hospital bill for my husband (after the insurance was done!) for $1000. Now, normally I would sit and bawl over it for 2 days.

This time I just simply said, "Enh," and called finacial services, told them I could pay $50 a month & they set it up for me. I nonchalantly called my husband at work and told him it was no big deal and he was also calm about it. That really was a breakthrough for me.

Even as far away & I sometimes feel from God, this really is the closest I have felt. I haven't had a deep depression in a while, the husband & I have never gotten along better or been more in love. I can honestly say that while I am scared, I do feel my strength building as each day goes on. I hope & pray I can be a living testimony to others.

I have some 11mg caramel flavor that a buddy who owns a store had sent me long ago. It was thanks for posting raving reviews of his liquids on every forum I could find. Seriously, this is the BEST caramel I've tasted. Anywho, I'd been saving it because I'd gotten down to the last 2 bottles. I cut it in half with some PG and gylcerin and the flavor is STILL amazing! Hats off again to Donley and Carol at Want2Vape.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Saintscruiser's Avatar

It is going to take commitment on your part. I already know that you know that, but you can do it! I still think about cigarettes from time to time. I gave up tobacco 6 months ago and I still have wantings and cravings. You just do. I think by the end of February, you are going to be amazed at what you've accomplished! I wish you the best!
    Moderator - Christian Vapors

Super Member ECF Veteran

Here's something really interesting. When I was trying to quit smoking I was smoking those little cigars, you kow the cigar rolled up like a cig, to save money. Those things burned my throat so bad that I was enjoyable going to the e-cig. The transition was actually easy.

Now, the past 2 or 3 days, when I hit my e-cig, it burns my throat a bit, like inhaling on a very dry atomizer. But no, I know for a fact I just put 2 drops straight to the atty! But it's like this almost every time. So I put it down and reach for 2 pieces (yes two) of nicotine gum and I'm quite fine. An hour goes by and I didn't want my e-cig.

Here's the thing....my e-cig is ALWAYS in my hand. Batteries that last me an average of three hours lasted my 9.5 hours today! That's how much I cut back today! Can you beleive it? And I was not even trying. Most times I did not even crave the thing! My jaw is sore as heck from chewing gum, but I really do believe God is working me. And all the prayer out there has reached the Heavens and is coming back down to me!

This whole process is reminding me of when I was last quitting smoking. It's so similar. The e-cig was meant as a stepping stone. I got so comfortable with it I didn't have any desire to quit. God has used my breathing problems to get me to quit, to move my husband into the other end of the house when he smokes.

Listen, when it's difficult to inhale, it may just be God allowing that to happen so I'll get off this awful drug once & for all.

I want to thank everyone for your continued prayer. I KNOW it is working. God is so good & I know He'll see me through this. I know He'll strengthen me in 2 weeks when I quit this drug for good. Or maybe, just maybe, He'll deliver me before then!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast