Thread: Vision/SmokTech style ReDux and strange "leak" problem?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Default Vision/SmokTech style ReDux and strange "leak" problem?

After three plus years back on the analogs I finally decided to give PVs another serious shot. I found a local retailer and ended up buying a Vision 1300 mah "Spinner" and three of these 1.6ml clearos that the shop said were a recent addition. The display simply said "Redux" on them and they also had the replacement coils for them as well. I didn't bother to ask exactly what brand they were but they look identical to the Smoktech ones, with the round stem and fill lines on the side, etc. I asked about resistance and was told they were probably around 2.4 We actually put one of them on an ohm meter in the store and found that it was really around 2.0 ohm. No huge problem.

I haven't actually had one leak yet, or crack or anything. They are sensitive to how they are assembled and I did accidentally short one of the coils by unintentionally pulling on a wick a bit too hard... easily remedied with a sewing needle. I'm using different juices in all three, one of which is 100% PG and the other two are 50/50. They hit super with gigantic clouds of vapor, if not a bit harsh perhaps on bigger hits. They like to "crackle" a lot too which I kind of like.

The "problem" that I've discovered is that all three tend to leave a tiny drop of juice on the top of the Vision battery connector when I unscrew one! It's *not* "leaking", per se... They don't leak when they are off the bat and they don't flood the bat with juice when attached, even left unattended for hours. The connector in the center of the clearo is obviously spring loaded as I can push it in with a toothpick and it returns right back... and even this doesn't cause it to leak noticeably. Just one half a drop or something, on the top (center post) of the battery when I unscrew the clearo from the battery, which is easily wicked up with a soft cloth or tissue.

Sooo... questions:

Anyone know why these might be doing this?
    Do other ego style tanks/cartos/clearos do this?
    Is there a way to fix it?
    Will it hurt my battery?

The only thing I can think of is that the spring loaded male connector on the bottom of the clearo must grab a bit of traction as it is screwed on (or off the battery) and twist a bit, probably off the center axis of rotation and this allows/forces a tiny bit of juice to somehow bypass the o-rings (yes, I've inspected the o-rings too) and accumulate on the top of the battery?

Thanks in advance!

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've been through quite a few ReDux clearos, as they were my "go-to" until I started using the Kanger T3 minis. Yes, they do tend to leak, although, in my experience, not as much as the Vision Stardust style. I don't think it hurts the battery much, as long as it doesn't leak a lot. Make sure to take a Q-tip and clean the connection often, so it doesn't corrode, though.

ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Thanks! Just seems strange to me that I haven't read this, specifically, as being a common problem!

No suggestions on a more non-leaky replacement?

I've had one of them apart already but couldn't tell what/why was causing this problem. I guess another look is warranted.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I love, love, love the mini Kanger T3's. I've heard some people having problems with some leaking and gurgling, but I just haven't had a single problem, and I've got about a dozen of them going right now with different juices in them. One bad thing I will say about them is that they mute the flavor of some juices more than the ReDux, but that seems like a perfectly fine trade-off for performance. The standard 2.4 ohm head works great on a Spinner, but I've been getting the lower 1.8 ohm heads so I can use them on my non-VV eGos, too. They are a bit hard to find right now, though. I think a lot of vendors are still waiting on shipments from China after the New Year holiday.

ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestion! I've been eager to try a bottom coil anyway as I understand they may not be quite as "hot" as a top coil like in the ReDux. Some flavors on my spinner are fine... I really like the "Marlboro Menthol" that seems to be common, but others are simply too harsh on the back of my throat and honestly seem to loose next to all of their flavor in a fiery atom bomb blast of vapor, even with my spinner set at the lowest voltage.

As I'm having this rather minor "leak" problem with three out of three reduxs I purchased what have I got to loose by trying a Kanger?