Kanger protank rebuild - Page 5
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Like Tree530Likes

Thread: Kanger protank rebuild

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Using 1mm silica helped me with the flavor wicks. I used two.

I learned everything I needed to know in life walking the streets of Compton.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SteamDaddy View Post
    use photobucket so you can show bigger pictures.

Senior Member ECF Veteran UncHellMatt's Avatar

I've been cannibalizing my remaining Vivi replacements and using the wicks on my Kanger ProTanks instead of using the Kanger replacement wicks. Generally able to get roughly 2.8-3ohm doing that, much better flavor. It's also been tough to go back to carto-tank combinations since I've gotten so used to the easy draw on ProTanks. At this point, I really don't use anything else. Replacing the wicks, thanks to this tutorial, has been easy-peezy.

Oh yeah, the bamboo wick I bought? Not very good at all. Seems to burn very easily and leaves an odd taste, even after thoroughly washing the wick.

So I've tried to rebuild it about 5 times now, EVERY TIME the base of my kanger protank turns boiling hot after a short amount of use...
    Does anyone know what's causing this? I highly doubt anyone who's rebuilt a kanger protank head here hasn't experienced it.. Pretty shocked it also hasn't been mentioned.

Edit: I just read you need to use no resistance wire on these... Similar to the GG ODDY.. If you don't the base will heat up....

OP; Thanks for not mentioning any of this in your original post......
    Last edited by neofelis; 04-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Senior Member Verified Member obsidianchao's Avatar

Attempted this with a viva nova head to place into my protank... threw both heads out lol. Too much trouble for me, man. Great guide, though! It was fun seeing the inner workings.

I want to be stereotyped. Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    So I've tried to rebuild it about 5 times now, EVERY TIME the base of my kanger protank turns boiling hot after a short amount of use...
    Does anyone know what's causing this? I highly doubt anyone who's rebuilt a kanger protank head here hasn't experienced it.. Pretty shocked it also hasn't been mentioned.

Edit: I just read you need to use no resistance wire on these... Similar to the GG ODDY.. If you don't the base will heat up....

OP; Thanks for not mentioning any of this in your original post......
    I didn't mention no-resistance because it isn't what I used. I've never used no-resistance wire in my Protank rebuilds. I've never had any problems with my rebuilds.

Don't blame me for your inability to rebuild a coil correctly.
    Butters78, Baums, Argusi and 6 others like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran LazyBulldogge's Avatar

I've only rebuilt 1 Protank coil so far, with 6 wraps of Kanthal D 0.2mm (AWG 32 I think?).
    It gets warm yes, but so does the stock coil, and I don't double back the legs, use non-resistance wire or anything like that either. I do only vape at 6.5 Watts though, as that's what I fancy, but no boiling hot clearo for me either

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Been rebuilding Vivi Nova heads for 9 months or so and the Pro Tank is virtually identical. Never doubled up wire on legs, never used no-resistance wire, never had a burnt insulator. Make sure the new wick is saturated before you vape and bring your voltage/power up slowly to break in the new coil. If you taste burnt flavor, turn it down! You're vaping, not arc welding.
    AN cig look-alike, Ego-C, Ego Twist, Lavatube, Provari V2, iTaste, Evic, Vivi Nova, iClear 16 & 30, Pro Tank, AGA-T2, Cobra, Telescope mech, Precise Plus 18650, GUS 16, Mini DID

ECF Veteran

Me too. Never used NR with my vivi novas, evods, or protank.

Only time I did was with a terminator-c where it's required.

If I had to deal with nr in such a small space I'd rather pay for new heads.
    Flyer likes this.

Sdh

I am almost ready to start rebuilding. However, question for some of you experts. Do you think the Ekowool could be used for the wick in the T-3, evod, and the protank? If so, what mm do you recommend? I plan on picking up some regular silica as well

OP: Great post!

Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast