Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: ProTank - which coils work best (which resistance)??

Moved On ECF Veteran

Question ProTank - which coils work best (which resistance)??

Hey guys, which resistance Protank coils (1.8, 2.2, 2.5) work best for you? I know this is usually a matter of personal preference, and I'm mainly asking those of you with variable voltage/wattage batteries..

Back when I was using T2's, I prefered low-resistance coils on my VV-battery, and usually vaped at around 8 watts; so I preferred the 1.8ohm coils and ran them at about 3.8volts (8 watts), they seamed to give me a stronger thicker vapor and definitely the best flavor than maybe the 2.2ohm coils @ 4.2volts which is the same wattage (8w).. Although when I got a Nova-clearo I seamed to like the flavor better on the standard 2.4ohm coil compared to the 1.8ohm coil, when I got the voltage right

Now I've had the ProTank for about a month, and I lovee it so far when it works right lol. I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed the 2.5-2.6ohm coils that came with the protank, amazing flavor and plumes of great thick vapor!! The only downside from the low-res coils I was used to using was that my Vision Spinner drains a bit quicker, but that's okay..
    ... But the reason I ask this question is because I just ordered a bunch of replacement coils, and wanted to see which coils you guys liked best for the protank?? I ordered a five-pack of the 2.5ohm coils, and 2 packs of the 1.8ohm coils; they also had 2.2ohms but I passed on those.

I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coils for the protank at all yet, so I'm anxious to see how I like them since I ordered 10 of them. I'm concerned that maybe the ProTank performs better with the higher-resistance coils and higher voltage to vape up the juice good, compared to the lower-resistance coils at the same wattage (lower voltage)

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
    Moved On ECF Veteran

I've heard some people mention that it doesn't matter which resistance coils you get if you have a variable voltage/wattage battery, because you can just adjust the voltage to get to the wattage you like or vice-versa. (For example, if you usually use 1.8ohm coils at 3.8volts but are stuck with some 2.2ohm coils, you can just up your voltage to 4.2volts w/ the 2.2coils to get the same vapor)

But in my experience this isn't true, I may get just as much vapor with a different-resistance coil at the same wattage but the flavor definitely isn't the same. When I switched from 1.8ohm coils @ 3.7volts to 2.2ohms @4.2volts (both @ 8watts) on my T2's, the flavor was definitely not the same and maybe somewhat muted.. This is why I'm asking you guys, thanks again in advance!!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran TyrannyUnleashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M_DuBb716 View Post
    Hey guys, which resistance Protank coils (1.8, 2.2, 2.5) work best for you? I know this is usually a matter of personal preference, and I'm mainly asking those of you with variable voltage/wattage batteries..

Back when I was using T2's, I prefered low-resistance coils on my VV-battery, and usually vaped at around 8 watts; so I preferred the 1.8ohm coils and ran them at about 3.8volts (8 watts), they seamed to give me a stronger thicker vapor and definitely the best flavor than maybe the 2.2ohm coils @ 4.2volts which is the same wattage (8w).. Although when I got a Nova-clearo I seamed to like the flavor better on the standard 2.4ohm coil compared to the 1.8ohm coil, when I got the voltage right

Now I've had the ProTank for about a month, and I lovee it so far when it works right lol. I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed the 2.5-2.6ohm coils that came with the protank, amazing flavor and plumes of great thick vapor!! The only downside from the low-res coils I was used to using was that my Vision Spinner drains a bit quicker, but that's okay..
    ... But the reason I ask this question is because I just ordered a bunch of replacement coils, and wanted to see which coils you guys liked best for the protank?? I ordered a five-pack of the 2.5ohm coils, and 2 packs of the 1.8ohm coils; they also had 2.2ohms but I passed on those.

I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coils for the protank at all yet, so I'm anxious to see how I like them since I ordered 10 of them. I'm concerned that maybe the ProTank performs better with the higher-resistance coils and higher voltage to vape up the juice good, compared to the lower-resistance coils at the same wattage (lower voltage)

Thanks!
    It's mostly the same for me with any of those coils on my VV PV. But latley I have been liking the 2.5 ohm better. I think I have like that resistance better due to the fact that I have a little more room to adjust the voltage to get the best taste from various juices.

Moved On ECF Veteran

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I'm the same, usually prefer low-res 1.8 but when I got the ProTank I really liked the 2.5ohm coil that came with it better. I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coils yet for the KPT but I have 3 five-packs of them about to arrive tomorrow from the mail, I hope I don't regret getting 15 1.8ohm coils and only 1 5-pack of the 2.5ohm coils!!

Super Member ECF Veteran jSquared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M_DuBb716 View Post
    But in my experience this isn't true, I may get just as much vapor with a different-resistance coil at the same wattage but the flavor definitely isn't the same. When I switched from 1.8ohm coils @ 3.7volts to 2.2ohms @4.2volts (both @ 8watts) on my T2's, the flavor was definitely not the same and maybe somewhat muted.. This is why I'm asking you guys, thanks again in advance!!
    Bottom coil clearos perform slightly differently to other juice delivery systems. Generally speaking, they vape better at lower wattages than a cartomiser (for example). I'm surprised you were able to push 8W with a T2. 8W is generally where I like my vape to be, but, when I was using the T3, I'd find myself at around 6W. The Protank comes with an instruction sheet which tells you what your voltage should be for the different heads. My advice: follow it!

With regard to the heads: there shouldn't be a noticeable difference when comparing one resistance with another at the same wattage, given that all the heads in the 1.8 ohm to 2.5 ohm range are low/standard resistances. The difference is more pronounced when you get into high voltage vaping (3.0 ohm +).

Also, you need to bear in mind that just because the product says 2.2 ohm on the box, it isn't necessarily 2.2 ohm in the box. I've had 2.2 ohm heads that have metered at 2.7 ohm. I suspect that the muted flavour you experienced was probably due to the fact that, whilst you thought you were vaping at 8W, you probably weren't.

JJ

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The higher resistance heads will have more wraps of wire than the lower resistance.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran TyrannyUnleashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jSquared View Post
    Bottom coil clearos perform slightly differently to other juice delivery systems. Generally speaking, they vape better at lower wattages than a cartomiser (for example). I'm surprised you were able to push 8W with a T2. 8W is generally where I like my vape to be, but, when I was using the T3, I'd find myself at around 6W. The Protank comes with an instruction sheet which tells you what your voltage should be for the different heads. My advice: follow it!

With regard to the heads: there shouldn't be a noticeable difference when comparing one resistance with another at the same wattage, given that all the heads in the 1.8 ohm to 2.5 ohm range are low/standard resistances. The difference is more pronounced when you get into high voltage vaping (3.0 ohm +).

Also, you need to bear in mind that just because the product says 2.2 ohm on the box, it isn't necessarily 2.2 ohm in the box. I've had 2.2 ohm heads that have metered at 2.7 ohm. I suspect that the muted flavour you experienced was probably due to the fact that, whilst you thought you were vaping at 8W, you probably weren't.

JJ
    This is good advice to follow the cards guidelines. when I got my first Protank I was used to doing things differently with a carto tank setup. But once I decided to go with the card, the flavor profile was truely enhanced for me. Like I said in my first reply, I can now make adjustments in the suggested range and reach different flavors within the same eliquid. That is why I prefer the higher resistance. But I think you'll be fine with the 1.8 ohm as well. I don't mind when I put one of those in, as they tend to be closer to 2.0 ohm anyway.
    jSquared likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Try the evod coils in the protank, they also work in it.
    Red_Bird likes this.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm liking my coils around 2.4-2.6ohm. Although I don't buy them I just rebuild them to my desired ohm rating.
    You do not ask the sun for mercy.

Moved On ECF Veteran

Every thread I create about the ProTank, somebody tells me to use evod heads lol. When I first got my protank I got 2 five-packs of evod heads also to try with it, and every one of them made my protank leak juice into the battery connector!! My friend had a protank from a different store, and he had the same problem with my evod coils lol, leaked all over.. Maybe I'll try switching the post from the evod to the KPT.

Thanks everybody for the replies.. What would make this a lot easier for me is if I had an advanced PV that would show me the exact ohm-rating of my coils, gonna have to upgrade from my 1300mah Spinner soon to maybe an eVic!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast