Cotton Wick - To boil or not to boil , that is the question. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Cotton Wick - To boil or not to boil , that is the question.

Full Member Verified Member

breakin out the cotton balls

Senior Member ECF Veteran V_Joe1981's Avatar

I use 100% pure cotton form Walmart. Once I get the cotton though the coil, I'll tuck the end(outside of the well) underneath the coil and the harsh/burnt taste is gone. I've leaned this from rip trippers video on the Agro coil...no boiling and wicks like a dream.

The cotton I'm using is "White Cloud" 100% pure cotton. I've heard that if it's pure, there is no need for boiling, so I make sure that everything is firing properly before I put my cotton in, soak it in my choice of e-liquid and boom-bam! Wicks a lot faster than silica from what I did in the past and the flavor is greater as well.

Take it how it is..If boiling seems good, do it, but from what I've been reading and doing some research on the cotton you bought(100% pure) I don't see the point if it is pure cotton IMHO.
    Vaping on a Steam punk mod, dragon emp and a blood wood gandalf :)

"Breathe easy...the smoke has cleared"

Ultra Member Verified Member humpstyles's Avatar

I purchased a bag of Maxim Hygiene Organic Cotton Balls.

Description: "Use your Maxim Organic Cotton Balls any way you please because they are Chlorine/Dioxin, Pesticide and Herbicide free! Maxim's 100% Organic Cotton Balls are Eco-Friendly and entirely Biodegradable because they're made with non-chlorine bleached pure organic cotton as opposed to most other brands which use a blend of synthetic fibers "Rayon" bleached with chlorine".

I guess they're bleached with hydrogen peroxide though. Not sure if I should boil before or not.

Ultra Member Verified Member HecticEnergy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm picking up some from target today for use in my RBA's that should be in tomorrow!
    Going to wrap some protanks today to get the hang of it... and I'm anxious to get going on the RBA!

I get them from the local CVS: My wife's part of the bathroom. Wish she carried protanks.

Ultra Member Verified Member HecticEnergy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ohms Lawbreaker View Post
    I get them from the local CVS: My wife's part of the bathroom. Wish she carried protanks.
    Yeah, I checked that department. She was fresh out. I don't think those cotton face pads would work quite as well... hehe

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by humpstyles View Post
    I purchased a bag of Maxim Hygiene Organic Cotton Balls.

Description: "Use your Maxim Organic Cotton Balls any way you please because they are Chlorine/Dioxin, Pesticide and Herbicide free! Maxim's 100% Organic Cotton Balls are Eco-Friendly and entirely Biodegradable because they're made with non-chlorine bleached pure organic cotton as opposed to most other brands which use a blend of synthetic fibers "Rayon" bleached with chlorine".

I guess they're bleached with hydrogen peroxide though. Not sure if I should boil before or not.
    What's wrong with hydrogen peroxide? I would think that's a good thing. H2O2 (hydrogen and water) should sterilize and leave absolutely nothing behind that can harm you (which is why you put in on cuts).

I don't boil and I would use organic if I could find it in Fairbanks. My wicks work fine and taste great. BTW hydrogen peroxide is a component of rocket fuel.

BTW hydrogen peroxide is a component of rocket fuel.
    Hydrogen peroxide is a very strong oxidizer. I built circuit boards for a living, and among the many chemicals we used, 35% hydrogen peroxide was one of them. I used to conduct safety training with new employees by putting a cotton ball in a glass lab beaker. Add 2-3 drops of 35% hydrogen peroxide, and watch the smoke show...

Full Member ECF Veteran

I am researching stuff lately as I want to build my own wicks.

I'm sorry, but to all the "I use xxyy and it works fine" on all forums everywhere, that doesn't mean squat. Analog cigarettes work fine too until you get a tumor years later. What we really want to know is, how safe it is and what we can do to make it more safe.

From what I've found, no one knows.

Is organic cotton safer than sterile cotton?
    Probably so

Is there anything left over in organic cotton?
    We speculate stabilizing agents, stuff from machines, and possibly H202.

Is H202 harmful if inhaled?
    Definitely.

Is there any H202 left?
    It supposedly it turns to hydrogen and water once exposed to light and air, but I can't find anything that says it does so completely. Still looking into it.

Is something OK to inhale just because it is OK to rub on a cut?
    Hell no. What is this logic? Would you smoke Mercurochrome?

Will boiling get rid of left over stuff in the cotton?
    I haven't found a shred of evidence of this. I will probably boil in distilled water just because it 'might' help. But who is to say what evaporates, gets left behind, or dissolves... Different materials have different boiling points, densities, ability to dissolve, etc. People _speculate_ this helps and I agree, but am also _speculating_.

Will boiling add more stuff to already clean stuff?
    Yes. Especially with unpure water and unclean containers. All you have to do is unscrew the head of your faucet on your sink and look at the calcium fluoride buildup. Or boil your water in a pot and look at the left overs. Common sense (and drug use) says your stomach and liver filter out things a hell of a lot better than your lungs do. I can't imagine the long term effects of inhaling vaporized fluoride, much less the rest of the crap in anyone's common water supply. I'd use distilled water and glass.

Do the last two points contradict each other?
    Yep.

Is cotton safer than silica?
    People seem to _think_ it is. I read at least one article where someone played amateur scientist and claimed particles were given off from the silica, but there doesn't seem to be good hard evidence. Cotton certainly seems easier to work with in my own opinion.
    Last edited by brekehan; 03-15-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Xaviour likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast