Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Cotton Wick - To boil or not to boil , that is the question.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Cotton Wick - To boil or not to boil , that is the question.

I just recently bought a Kanger ProTank and have been reading about rewicking with cotton. Upon reading forums and watching videos, some of them suggested to boil the cotton. This was kind of a hassle to do, is this necessary? Some of them suggested to pre-burn the cotton with a lighter, which I tried but thought it was dumb because I'm using the interior of the cotton ball so burning the outside didnt seem like it would really do anything. I did this for the first time last night and man this tank is now heaven!!

P.S. I am using cotton balls

Interested in seeing the advice on this one. I have been looking for a video on wicking from cotton balls but haven't found one. I have a protank on the way from Fasttech.
    vjdossey likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well I haven't heard of the pre burn, but like you said, it sounds stupid. Lol
    It never hurts to boil the cotton first. Yes, it's a hassle. I've never boiled them myself because I'm simply too lazy!
    But I guess I will boil them the next time....... better to be safe than sorry.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use cotton in my protank, usually cheesecloth or flour sack towels just because I have those around for wine making and canning uses anyway. I do rinse them first, but, that's because they need rinsed before being used for food. I have used cotton balls right out of the package, no problem. Even butcher's twine would be fine as is to me, yarn, I'd boil first, it was never intended for use with food and is not sterile as cotton balls are.

Full Member ECF Veteran

I've been rewicking with small rolled cotton from cotton balls, I'm not doing something right. I slide it through until it gets tight, then back it out until it's barely snug to allow for expansion. About the same size rolled for the flavor wick, trim to about the length of stock. First time was amazing, at least for a couple of hours, my rewicks since have been atrocious. No flavor, burn cotton taste, and not as much vapor. Pull it apart and the wicks look great, no burns, loaded with juice....what gives. I'll take any suggestions and pics, if they are available. I'm starting to think maybe I've got vapors tongue, lol. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ECF Veteran

Remove the rubber gasket on air tube. Allows it to wick fast enough for hv vaping and does not leak

ECF Veteran

I dont use any extra cotton just the cotton through the coil

Quote Originally Posted by jaynole View Post
    I've been rewicking with small rolled cotton from cotton balls, I'm not doing something right. I slide it through until it gets tight, then back it out until it's barely snug to allow for expansion. About the same size rolled for the flavor wick, trim to about the length of stock. First time was amazing, at least for a couple of hours, my rewicks since have been atrocious. No flavor, burn cotton taste, and not as much vapor. Pull it apart and the wicks look great, no burns, loaded with juice....what gives. I'll take any suggestions and pics, if they are available. I'm starting to think maybe I've got vapors tongue, lol. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Super Member Verified Member jarreddizzle's Avatar

How to boil is the question!

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I tried using "sterile" cotton balls right out of the box yesterday, but it tasted 'medicinal' ...so, after that, I've been boiling. Just toss about 5 or so into a pot of boiling water (some recommend purified water - I didn't, but whatever ...), boil for a couple of minutes, empty the water and repeat the process a couple of times.
    Dj_Jedi likes this.

Full Member Verified Member

I use organic colorless Yarn.
    It needs to be boiled at least 4-5 times for about 15 min each time, change the water every time.
    It is the best and purest flavor then.
    If it is not boiled, then vaping will taste "cotton"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast