Kanger Pro-Tank 2 Chemical Taste
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kanger Pro-Tank 2 Chemical Taste

Post Kanger Pro-Tank 2 Chemical Taste

Pro-Tank 2 came in the mail today and, by far, it beats out the iClear30s and Vivi Novas I own. Its already survived a 3 foot fall on hard wood floors (thank my dog).
    But I keep getting this wretched chemical taste. It isn't consistent, sometimes I'll get an excellent vape. It is common enough for me to set it down until I can (hopefully) resolve this issue.
    Things I've tried:
    • Rinsed and soaked all the parts, excluding the atomizer, in hot water.
    • Let it soak upright with a full tank for 2+ hours.
    • Continue vaping, hoping the taste would go away.

This makes me think that its the atomizer. I don't know how to clean (or if I can) the atomizer.
    I'm relatively new to vaping and brand new to Kanger and bottom fed clearomizers, so its probably something quite obvious.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

With my PT1, I had a terrible taste until I washed with Dawn a couple times & of course a good rinse.
    Then I rinsed it with PGA & let it air dry. No problems since.
    Hope that helps. I never cleaned the atomizer/head.
    Last edited by jcco; 08-07-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: add on

I have rinsed the atmisers of protanks many times. Perhaps theres some oils from machining in them.
    Just let them dry off properly before use.

ECF Moderator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Moved to Assorted PV Topics - Clearomizers
    TheSystemHasFailed likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I rinse the coils in hot water and then soak them over night in vodka. Next day I rinse them in hot water and let them dry out. That's my cleaning process for the coils. It works well.
    NLDV likes this.

I washed everything with a little dawn and did a nice rinse of the atomizer. Took a hair dryer to the coil and wick because I'm way too impatient
    Did a quick little dry burn, at low volts, and slapped it all together. After a nice soak, there is nothing but the sweet flavor of cafe mocha
    Thanks for the information!

I've taken apart to rebuild the protanks. The problem lies in the rubber 510 center pin grommet. The coil burns the rubber and omits fumes of rubber. Nasty taste I must say.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi D. View Post
    I've taken apart to rebuild the protanks. The problem lies in the rubber 510 center pin grommet. The coil burns the rubber and omits fumes of rubber. Nasty taste I must say.
    This. I've stopped using the Protank 2 exactly for this reason. I got my Protank 2 a few days ago, rebuilt the coils since I didn't like the stock coils. After heavy vaping for a full day, you can see burn marks on the rubber piece, and I believe that is what I tasted from time to time while vaping. You could attach NR wires to the Resistance wire, like how it is on the stock coils, but the only reason I bought the Protank 2 was for the ease of rebuilding, and adding NR wires beats the purpose of it.

Their is a another solution that I haven't tried. You could bend the positive wire in half up to the coil and twist it to lower the resistance, which will cause it to get less hot. Same thing with the Negative wire.
    Jimi D. likes this.
    2009 : Yeti 510 - Retired
    2010 - 2012 : Reo Mini (Atomizers and Cartomizers) - Retired
    2012 : Penelope with GGTS #4134 - Active

Awesome info. I've never done a rebuild but thought I might give it a shot on my protank.
    I've been steadily vaping my protank all day and haven't once gotten the nasty taste again though! *knock on wood

Quote Originally Posted by dokebilee View Post
    This. I've stopped using the Protank 2 exactly for this reason. I got my Protank 2 a few days ago, rebuilt the coils since I didn't like the stock coils. After heavy vaping for a full day, you can see burn marks on the rubber piece, and I believe that is what I tasted from time to time while vaping. You could attach NR wires to the Resistance wire, like how it is on the stock coils, but the only reason I bought the Protank 2 was for the ease of rebuilding, and adding NR wires beats the purpose of it.

Their is a another solution that I haven't tried. You could bend the positive wire in half up to the coil and twist it to lower the resistance, which will cause it to get less hot. Same thing with the Negative wire.
    I was also thinking of silicone grommets working good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast