Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Protank 2 - How many flavor wicks are you removing?

Default Protank 2 - How many flavor wicks are you removing?

I ask this question because I have had some issues with my Protank 1 and 2. It got to the point I began using Novas and carto tanks because, well, they were the only things that worked and would retain my sanity. I received the Protank 2 a few days ago and almost immediately (within the first half dozen vapes) I was tasting an awful burning taste. I popped out one of the flavor wicks, and it helped, but it did not entirely solve the problem. Out of frustration, I googled around and came up to a GrimmGreen video. He mentioned he just takes all of the wicks out from the beginning and afterwards speaks highly of his experiences with the Protank. As a result, I removed all of the wicks. So far, things are considerably better. The only 'wick' I have in place is the one wrapped in the coil, so I really have no 'flavor wicks' installed in my current head at all.

The liquid I am using is an 80/20 mix. Through countless sources online it's suggested that the amount of wicks you remove should be dictated upon the thickness of your liquid. Considering I am using an 80/20 mix, it doesn't really stand to reason that my juice is thick enough to warrant removing all of the flavor wicks.

Once I removed all of the flavor wicks, I had some gurgling, but after a few minutes of vaping that went away. Likewise, I sat my PV upright on the table and left it alone for an hour. I came back, lit it up, no gurgling at all. Once the initial batch of gurgling that lasted 2-3 minutes was over, I have not experienced any more of it since removing the flavor wicks, nor have I experienced any leaking.

So anyway, this kind of got me wondering... As I said my liquid is 80/20, so it's not exactly like honey where you would think removing all of the wicks makes sense. Yet with the 80/20 liquid, removing all wicks is the only thing that kept me from throwing this thing in the trash. In fact, it's been quite good since then. Considering all of this, especially the fact that my gurgling went away after a few minutes and hasn't since returned, I got to wondering what other users here are doing.

So, Protank 1 and 2 users, what are you doing and what have your experiences been like? Do you remove 1 flavor wick? Do you remove both (all) flavor wicks? Have you experienced any leaking or gurgling (after the initial start) as a result? Mentioning your liquid PG/VG ratio would be helpful as well.

Full Member Verified Member

80/20 vg/pg, or pg/vg

ECF Veteran

The debate rages about removing flavor wicks or not. I run about 80PG/20VG also, and have tried alot of configurations. No flavor wick works best. A little gurgle now and then? Just shows your gonna get a saturated vape, IMO. I still try leaving one or all flavor wicks on new coils, and I always come back to leaving them out. Apparently your mileage WILL vary
    Aphro likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Running grimms very own Namberjuice 50/50. And I've actually had some trouble.. Gets burny quick, but if I remove a *single* flavor wick it floods almost immediately. I've only really played with one head though so maybe it was a dud to begin with.

I rebuilt it and it is still pretty finicky. 10 wrap 5/64 id 30g coil with 3mm wick and a few flavor wicks (they are tiny, made with strands from the 3mm. I believe it is silica rope. From Rtd vapor.) I'm still trying to get it to wick right.. Funny thing is my Evod is not nearly as picky, but Im using a T3s head I rebuilt in that.

I'm still playing with it, but the protank 2 seems to be more finicky for some reason.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran pufZeppelin's Avatar

talking about Kanger bcc (I have protanks and evods)
    high in VG (because PG irritates me) 80/20 70/30 VG/PG -- (eGo with 1.8Ω to 2.2Ω coils)

my thoughts are you need the flavor wicks (or supply wicks)
    in order to keep a wet supply of juice ON THE HEATING COIL, that in turn reduces burning the heating coil IMO
    so I am opposite of what you guys are thinking, if fact I use big fat 3mm wick on top to promote Heavy Wicking
    and it works GREAT for me--no gurgling and I Vape my tanks down to empty

Rickajho and JamesEh408 like this.
    Ω ... you have to "Learn" how to Vape, it's not smoking... it’s,“addiction without the consequences”

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pufZeppelin View Post
    talking about Kanger bcc (I have protanks and evods)
    high in VG (because PG irritates me) 80/20 70/30 VG/PG -- (eGo with 1.8Ω to 2.2Ω coils)

my thoughts are you need the flavor wicks (or supply wicks)
    in order to keep a wet supply of juice ON THE HEATING COIL, that in turn reduces burning the heating coil IMO
    so I am opposite of what you guys are thinking, if fact I use big fat 3mm wick on top to promote Heavy Wicking
    and it works GREAT for me--no gurgling and I Vape my tanks down to empty

Agreed.

Mistake number one seems to be trying to run these things too hot. I put a coil in last week that metered 2.0 ohms and it was producing tons of vapor at a whopping... 3.2 volts. After running it for three days heavy use my voltage is all the way up to... 3.6 volts. I don't even buy 1.8 ohm coils any more - they get too hot, too fast.

Because some people insist on running these things at high voltages - just because they can - they take out the wicks to get more liquid to the coil. And then you risk flooding the coil with too much liquid and vapor production actually goes down, not up. Then they up the voltage even more to compensate and "burnt & nasty" sets it. And it's still flooding...

If anything, I've had to tweak the top wicks and add to it in some cases. I've never had a good result taking any of it out.

What am I vaping? 100 VG only - and the thick gloppy stuff at that.

Never start a new coil on these Kangers above 3.2 volts. Adjust up if needed, but don't be surprised if even a 2.0 coil actually works very well at 3.2 volts.
    Last edited by Rickajho; 09-03-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    ardvaark and pufZeppelin like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

PT1 #1 - 50/50, removed 1 flavor wick, gurgles if the liquid level gets low
    PT1 #2 - all VG, removed both flavor wicks, still didn't wick right, rebuilt head with 3mm silica and now it works OK.
    PT2 - 50/50, left the wicks alone - perfect right out of the box
    VIPOD likes this.

Has anyone tried flipping the silicone gasket on the head upside down to expose more of the wicks? Just read about someone having success with that method... I'll have to give that a try next refill.

Do you still get metallic aftertaste even after cleaning?

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It all depends on your VG get around 75% VG no need for flavor wicks.

More VG the less gurgle your get.
    What does it matter who's right and who's wrong as long as it gets fixed.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Having better luck, pulled a couple more strands of the "flavor" wick and also the wick in the coil. Again I'm using 3mm silica from rtd vapor. And I am also keeping the power below 4 volts.

Another thing that seems to help is using it on an ego threaded device with the beauty ring snugged up against the base. Tightens up the draw a little but I believe it is allowing more of a vacuum in the air passage to facilitate better wicking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast